Removing the UMD drive?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kk360, Mar 17, 2013.

Mar 17, 2013

Removing the UMD drive? by kk360 at 11:17 PM (1,032 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. kk360
    OP

Newcomer kk360 Newbie

Canada
    Good day to all, I recently purchased a psp 1000 on ebay for 40$, declared broken (umd drive doesn't read properly), but all in all, works perfectly fine. I installed CFW, got a few games and homebrew on there and it's great.

The screen is kinda scratched up, not annoyingly but in due time I will more than likely replace the full housing, so my question is this. While I've got the thing opened up, is it worth removing the UMD? Will it prolong my battery life even if it's never really in use?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    By far the biggest drain with the drive is powering the motor. If there's no disc in it, the motor never spins (that shit is loud, you'd hear it), so nobody bothers outside of mods like replacing the UMD interface with a second memory card reader.

3. kk360
    OP

Newcomer kk360 Newbie

Canada
    Would it be worth taking it out for weight purposes?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's not really heavy/big enough to matter in my opinion.

5. kk360
    OP

Newcomer kk360 Newbie

Canada
    Well I just removed it anyway, I gotta say the difference is noticeable, I'd say it's worth it. I would of felt dumb if I'd damaged my system though.

6. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    While you were in there, you could have replaced it with a 1.8" HDD for lots of space for games. I've seen someone do a mod like that, and I'm pretty sure there were instructions to go with it.

7. kk360
    OP

Newcomer kk360 Newbie

Canada
    Don't really see a point to doing that. It would add extra weight and I've got a 16gb card that's plenty for me. More games than I can handle actually. Also, HDDs are much slower than flash memory.