Hacking Removing quicksoldered Wiikey

Skull Kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend got his Wii modded at some mod shop that quicksoldered a Wiikey in his Wii. We were going to install a switch to turn the modchip on/off for Brawl, but we had a hard time removing the chip that was soldered directly on the board. The hardest points are the two larger ones, they had a lot of solder put all the way near the bottom. We had a solder wick, but it didn't seem to work. What's the best way to remove the Wiikey so we can install it with wires?

704jaffer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If there is just too much solder for the wick you may want to try a desolder pen. Its a little spring loaded vacuum that you hold against the liquid solder once you've heated it and you click it and it sucks up large amounts of solder. Then when you get the amount of solder down finish the job with wick.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the best way would be to use two soldering irons or some SMD tweezer style iron. This will let you melt the solder in both spots at once and you can apply light upwards pressure under the chip to help remove it. I would suggest a plastic lever of some sort under the chip. Remember light pressure.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case you don't have time to get the desolder pen, which is a great recommendation, place the solder wick right on top of the solder. Then put your soldering iron right on top of it. Wait mabye 5-10 seconds for it to heat up and make sure not to move it. It's cool seeing it suck up the solder. xD

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Get OpenWii
smile.gif

gacibula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally JUST did this, and the guy who originally soldered it just put a tiny business card under the wiikey, and applied a small amount of upward force as he melted away the soldering points between the wii and the wiikey. It popped off after he melted each point. Then he just did a short wire install, and put in a switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1