Hardware Removing Padding For Gamecube Discs For Use On Wii

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know u can remove padding from wii games to make them much smaller, but is this also possible with gamecube games? thanks

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just going to point out this has been asked before...

And Answered:
FAST6191 said:

If you use Google you can find some other ones too, I've used gc-shrink, but it's a command line utility, so im not sure if you'd want to use it

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before you go shrinking all your games, you should do 1 or 2 and then test them out.

i blindly shrank all my games first and then found that there are things that matter that were not addressed by that game shrinker. this is why you may read about people saying that wode, SD boot, and ( possibly ) diosmios wont work with shrunken games.

things to consider are file alignment ( and final padding if not burning the game to media for playing ).

after finding that all my games were useless in wode, i deleted them, re-dumped them, and wrote my own code. this code only aligns the files in he game, so for games with a bunch of files, it doesnt do anything. and for other games, they want be quite as small as they could be. but the good news is that i asked people to test some games out and so far, there are close to 400 games tested and working on wode. http://code.google.com/p/qtwitgui/source/b...hrinkthread.cpp

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Audio streams need a 32KB alignment. If they don't have it, the games crash even before sending the dvd audio command. This wouldn't be a problem, but some shrinkers, i don't know which, ignore this important "detail". If a game does not contain audio streams, then shrinking them with about any shrinker should be fine.

PS: NeoGamma has an option to fake 32KB alignment for audio streams, but it's not widely tested and it's only done for .adp files. Ikaruga for example seems to work with it, even if the game image is ruined by shrinking it with wrong alignment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night