Hacking Removing original loader files - slightly confused!

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I wonder if you guys could help me, as right now i am slightly confused about how to upgrade from the original loader (0.1).
This is where i am at.
I have the Homebrew channel installed and i installed the original loader and CIOS and everything was fine. Now, my understanding was that when upgrading to the new loader and CIOS, it is best to uninstall all the original Wad's and start from scratch, so here is what i did. I put the original wads back into my wad directory and used the Wad uninstaller, which seemed to uninstall the loader but will not uninstall the CIOS, i just get an error each time. I then tried just uninstalling the CIOS on its own (wad file is CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042.wad), but i still get an error.
What i would like to know is, is it really necessary that i uninstall this before installing the new CIOS, or can i just ignore the errors and go ahead and install the new loader and CIOS?
I plan on using noobwarriors 'All-In-One Launcher 3 pack, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=114373' for the install and in his install instructions state that you should uninstall all 0.1 loader wads before installing the new loader.

Can you guys please advise me?

Many thanks in advance.....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suppose what you name "original loader" is a waninkoko backup loader, right ?
and you want to update both the loader and the cIOS.

First, if you want to uninstall the cIOS, do not use the original IOS36 wad with Wadmanager, it will try to remove an important and required IOS !
this is the system menu, you must not remove it or you will brick your Wii (you are lucky it didn't work)!

what you need to remove is the cIOS, not the IOS itself.

the cIOS is a custom IOS copied from your IOS36 wad, patched, and rename IOS249. This is a duplicate.
What you need to remove is IOS249, not 36.

To remove IOS249, run "Custom IOS Uninstaller v1.1".
Then you can install new version of cIOS working with the new backup loader you want to use.

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your response.
Yes, that is want i meant by original loader, the Waninkoko loader.
Wow!, that is lucky!...i had no idea it could of done so much damage..thanks for letting me know.
OK, so i will just download the uninstaller from his site and give that a go, i am sure i read somewhere that his uninstaller does not work with the CIOS used for his backup loader, but i may be wrong...

Thanks again!

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still totally confused! This is what i have done.
1. I have removed dvdx by running it and choosing uninstall.
2. I then ran Waninkoko's CIOS Uninstaller 1.1.
3. I then uninstalled all the wads in the 3in1 pack so that the Wii was clean of all loaders.
4. I then loaded up Anytitledeleter to check what IOS are installed - this is where i am completely confused. What should i be seeing here?

I need to know exactly what IOS should not be listed so that i can delete them, as i really dont want to delete the wrong thing.

Can someone please help?

Thanks again.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mdkdue said:
I am still totally confused! This is what i have done.
1. I have removed dvdx by running it and choosing uninstall.
2. I then ran Waninkoko's CIOS Uninstaller 1.1.
3. I then uninstalled all the wads in the 3in1 pack so that the Wii was clean of all loaders.
4. I then loaded up Anytitledeleter to check what IOS are installed - this is where i am completely confused. What should i be seeing here?

I need to know exactly what IOS should not be listed so that i can delete them, as i really dont want to delete the wrong thing.

Can someone please help?

Thanks again.
List them here, seeing that we should be able to help you
smile.gif

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, i have
248,247,36,14,37,33,35,28,22,34,31,30,21,20,17,15,13,12,11,9,4 and MIOS

The Hidden Channels option does not have any IOS listed.

I hope this is enough to help me...
Many thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
mdkdue said:
You don't need to uninstall anything else.

The only Wad you really needed to uninstall was cIOS, because it was an older version, and your old loader.
You can know install cIOS rev07, and install the loader you want to use.

All the other IOS or wad will not give you any problem.

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
mdkdue said:
You don't need to uninstall anything else.

The only Wad you really needed to uninstall was cIOS, because it was an older version, and your old loader.
You can know install cIOS rev07, and install the loader you want to use.

All the other IOS or wad will not give you any problem.

Great, thanks for making that clear.
smile.gif

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, still having no joy here.
After installing the 3in1 pack, i can now see IOS249 listed in AnytitleDeleter but i cant load anything. Every game i try i just get 2 lines of writing flash up for a split second on top of each other, i think the message says something about DVD Identity Failed.
I also tried using the Softchip loader but i just get the message 'Exception: loctl error'

Anyone have any ideas please?
If not i guess i will just give up as i cant understand whats going on
frown.gif

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:
OK guys, things are just getting weirder!...
I thought i may have found the cause because i was in the Homebrew channel and it suddenly prompted me for an update to Beta 9, so i did the update.
As soon as the Wii restarted i tried the loader and it loaded a game, first time!. So i thought, 'Ah, it must be you need beta 9 of homebrew for it to work'.
I then tried to load another game and it didnt work, just a black screen and the disk drive making alot of noise, so i though 'OK, maybe a bad burn'. I then tried the original game that loaded and that would not load either!
So then I removed everything again and just installed CIOS rev7 and the loader (i didnt use the 3in1 with all the other stuff). After the install i was able to play a game again so i thought 'great, hopefully thats done it!'. Then low and behold, i tried another game...black screen. Then i tried the original game again and...black screen!!!

Has anybody got a clue whats going on as this is doing my head in now!!!

Please help!

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone please help me with this?
What is the usual cause of black screens?, i have searched the forum but cannot find a conclusive answer....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't help you a lot there, I didn't try any loader.

And I don't know what cause black screen, even on an original game.
When do you get the black screen ? only when running the game ? do you see the disk channel or not at all ?

If you remove the cIOS and the loader, does the original game works again or do you still have a black screen ?
I can only ask questions, but can't help you more here, sorry.

Also, HBC beta being 8 or 9 has nothing to do with your loader.

mdkdue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, i think i have confused things here, when i say 'original' game, i dont mean a real retail copy, i mean an ISO. I called it original game as this was the first one i tried that worked once.

I can see the disk channel, i load it with a game in and i just get a black screen. It worked once though!, which is what does not make any sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-