Hacking Removing Capacitor on CoolRunner

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm a total noob who's attempting his first trinity RGH. I've read through WeekendModder's guide and see I see if I want to do the Muffin technique with a CoolRunner rev C, I need to remove C8 and unbridge JP. How exactly do I do this? Do I just take tweezers and pull the capacitor out, then remove the dark square bridging JP? Any help is appreciated!

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to desolder it.
Ripping it off risks damaging the chip and is a stupid thing to do.
Thanks. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I have one other issue though: As I said, I'm trying to do the muffin install with a CoolRunner, and am following this guide:
https://weekendmodder.com/store/image/catalog/Trinity_Rev_C_Muffin_Install.jpg

I'm a bit confused on point E though. Does it get connected to DB2G3? Or does it connected to the pad next to ground on J2C3? Is either one ok? Also point A just remains empty on the chip?

Reactions: Ryccardo

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The E and F points on the nand connection image are for traditional RGH 2.0 points. It looks like Muffin files achieve slowdown through a different circuit at the DB2G3 point. Solder E to there if you're doing Muffin timings. Point A remains untouched because its PLL Bypass for RGH 1/1.2. You don't need to worry about that unless you're glitching a phat console.

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I wired up my CoolRunner, but no LED turns on when I apply standby power. I checked my connections with a multimeter, and my 3v wire is reading 0 ohms (which all my connections should correct?). The only suspicious thing I notice is my ground connection is reading ~1 ohm. I keep trying to solder the point on the motherboard, but I keep getting 1 ohm. Is this ground issue at all related to me not getting any lights with standby power? If not, does anyone know why I'm not getting any LEDs?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using the shielding tab for a ground point, heres an example:
image1.jpeg

Reactions: Peninsula

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried the reverse side of the ground pin and the shielding tab for a ground point. No matter what point I use, I still get ~1 Ohm of resistance when I connect to the mod chip after many resolders on the points and the chip.

My bigger concern is that when I apply standby power my CoolRunner does not show any LEDs. I used a multimeter and I'm getting a reading of 6.6v for my Vcc. Only the power and the ground should be affecting the LEDs, is that correct?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats odd. It should be 3.3 so I wonder if the chip is bad or theres something you're not noticing thats got 2x 3.3v circuits in series. Out of curiosity, have you tried flashing the stock nand back and booting retail? If not, just disconnect the chip power and ground wires from the board and try it. Normally you could just put the chip in program but with the weird voltage readings I wouldn't try. Also, post some pics of your connections.

... You desoldered both the 0 Ohm black bridge and the C8 resistor correct? And theres no bridge?

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats odd. It should be 3.3 so I wonder if the chip is bad or theres something you're not noticing thats got 2x 3.3v circuits in series. Out of curiosity, have you tried flashing the stock nand back and booting retail? If not, just disconnect the chip power and ground wires from the board and try it. Normally you could just put the chip in program but with the weird voltage readings I wouldn't try. Also, post some pics of your connections.

... You desoldered both the 0 Ohm black bridge and the C8 resistor correct? And theres no bridge?

I'm looking at the standby voltages in this picture here. It looks like I'm getting twice the voltages that are stated with standby power. This is me probing just the pads.
https://dl.x-ex.com/pics/xbox_360_slim_mainboard_power sources_top.jpg

I haven't flashed the nand at all yet, I've just read it. Here's a picture of CoolRunner with the C8 removed and JP unbridged. Those are the only 2 things I've done to it. Also here's the ground connection.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking at the standby voltages in this picture here. It looks like I'm getting twice the voltages that are stated with standby power. This is me probing just the pads.
https://dl.x-ex.com/pics/xbox_360_slim_mainboard_power sources_top.jpg

I haven't flashed the nand at all yet, I've just read it. Here's a picture of CoolRunner with the C8 removed and JP unbridged. Those are the only 2 things I've done to it. Also here's the ground connection.

Try switching the PRG switch to NOR and see if your LED lights up. That kills power from the board (PRG) so you can flash the chip, but I still find the 6.6 weird.

Reactions: Peninsula

Peninsula

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my gosh I should have looked at that more closely. Thank you so much. It lights up! Yeah I'm wondering if there's an issue with my multimeter. The one standby powered pads that's supposed to give 5v is giving 10v as well. I'm going to continue.

@brickmii82 and @DinohScene: I was finally able to finish my mod and the RGH works great! Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Peninsula,
Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night