Hacking Remove WBFS partition and replace them by WBFS ISO image

calimero100582

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Trophies
1
Age
44
Website
duchaine.dyndns.org
XP
124
Country
Canada
I suggest here one thing,

create a new format for the actual WBFS.

Most of the problem is related with a format that no OSes recognize, so I want to remove WBFS partition to create something like WBFS ISO file that will have the same advantage as WBFS drive, but without the inconvenient

I'll need someone to make the USB Loader on the Wii to connect to a more standard FAT32 drive and read the new file format, and I'll create an app that will convert from ISO to WBFS ISO and vice versa, so no longer need for an app to read and write to the disk

As WiiScrubber replace garbage by unique value, the new format will remove garbage and replace it by a small header at the beginning of the file

Is there someone interested in creating a USB Loader for this??
 
first off, your post is almost unreadable... I don't really know what you're trying to say or want to do, but I guess you want to make some kind of WBFS iso file on a fat32 filesystem where all the games are stored in? If so; not gonna happen, fat32 is limited to 4gb files...
 
gitkua said:
first off, your post is almost unreadable... I don't really know what you're trying to say or want to do, but I guess you want to make some kind of WBFS iso file on a fat32 filesystem where all the games are stored in? If so; not gonna happen, fat32 is limited to 4gb files...

FAT32 was just an example, and most of the game on the WBFS partition is less than 4GB

If you prefer I can say EXT2 or NTFS to be able to take games like SSBB wich is a little more than 6 GB
 
calimero100582 said:
gitkua said:
first off, your post is almost unreadable... I don't really know what you're trying to say or want to do, but I guess you want to make some kind of WBFS iso file on a fat32 filesystem where all the games are stored in? If so; not gonna happen, fat32 is limited to 4gb files...

FAT32 was just an example, and most of the game on the WBFS partition is less than 4GB

If you prefer I can say EXT2 or NTFS to be able to take games like SSBB wich is a little more than 6 GB

FAIL - this has been discussed a million times. Time for you to do some reading.
 
gitkua said:
yeah and some grammar schooling, I still can't understand what you're saying in your first post...

If you don't want to do something different get away from this topic

For other people,

We can't put file greater than 4GB on FAT32, but if needed, we can use splitted files, a technique that is used by old software to create big file, so a file of 6GB become two or more smaller files
 
DUDE , this has been discussed 1,000,000 times ... This thread is useless ... GO READ !
 
calimero100582 said:
If you don't want to do something different get away from this topic
If you want to do something; try writing in understandable english AFTER you've read the 100+ other threads that explain why this can't be done... FAIL
 
Guys... c'mon be a bit nicer... Not everyone can have great English... and there's no need to shoot the suggestion down...
smile.gif

@calimero: I'd say your best bet would be to use ext2 and get the USB loader to read ext2. It allows files larger than 4 GB and it's readable by all OSes (sure you need a driver for Windows, but that's available and NTFS is really too much overhead to be worth it). Ext2 is also pretty easy to work with and understand the file system.
 
actually i'm fine the way it is at the moment.

we could easily make a small fat partition for meta data.
Sorg added a feature like that already. Pretty nice and clean idea.
 
calimero100582 said:
I suggest here one thing,

create a new format for the actual WBFS.

Most of the problem is related with a format that no OSes recognize, so I want to remove WBFS partition to create something like WBFS ISO file that will have the same advantage as WBFS drive, but without the inconvenient

I'll need someone to make the USB Loader on the Wii to connect to a more standard FAT32 drive and read the new file format, and I'll create an app that will convert from ISO to WBFS ISO and vice versa, so no longer need for an app to read and write to the disk

As WiiScrubber replace garbage by unique value, the new format will remove garbage and replace it by a small header at the beginning of the file

Is there someone interested in creating a USB Loader for this??

WBFS works ok and there are applications out there like the one AlexDP (who posted above and is heavily involved in discussions of this type with waninkoko already) has created - its WBFS Manager 2.5 (the latest i believe) .
There are reasons that the other OS's and formats were moved away from , some being file sizes not being big enough and partitioning ISO's making games run slower on the wii, the other being translation issues in loaders also slowing down the wii as its not reading from its native format.
Using the Wii's native format seems to be the way to go but it would need a few tweeks to get it working with users in mind.

All of this has been discusses already and a little searching would reveal a lot.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted