remote shutdown,restart

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by cheatmaster5, Jun 30, 2010.

Jun 30, 2010

remote shutdown,restart by cheatmaster5 at 5:23 AM (730 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. cheatmaster5
    OP

Member cheatmaster5 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have my computers setup for remote control but how do i set it up so i can shut them down from my laptop

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Create a shortcut / type in cmd (run as admin)
    C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 120
    Where
    /s means shutdown
    /t is the time in seconds
    120 is my set time for 120 seconds

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Another method is remote desktop administration. There are a few ways to set it up, which basically opens a window that provides a streaming look on what your remote desktop is doing (via the interwebz), and lets you control it's keyboard/mouse.

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Wasn't aware rda was available in non server versions of windows. You are sure you don't mean VNC (which can indeed shutdown as it is "nothing more" then a stream of the desktop)?

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    RDA is available in Pro and Ultimate versions of Windows (since 2000) but I don't recall how to set it up within Windows itself. There are a number of applications that can do it for you though.

VNC is newer than the last time I've had to deal with remote administration, so I don't know any details about it at all.