Remaster vs Remaster?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Logan97, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Logan97
    OP

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    The new Skyrim Remaster for PC, PS4, and Xbox One looks nice, but compared to the Call Of duty Remaster, does the 60$ price tag does any justice for it? Yeah a Shooter against an Open World RPG maybe isn't a good comparison, but Skyrim alone without DLCs or Mods is around 5.6gb, which shouldn't be hard at all to do a real Remaster even with the DLCs for the special edition. This is nice for steam users since we'll be getting it for free (if we have all the DLCs), but speaking as a fan was this the satisfaction we all expected?

Last edited by Logan97, Jul 19, 2016
  2. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I am not even sure what you are asking...

3. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    what does the size on disk have to do with how difficult it is to do a remaster?

BORTZ and TheVinAnator like this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    He's saying do you think the skyrim remaster is more worth and better than buying advanced warfare just for mw3, I think

BORTZ likes this.
  5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    The skyrim remaster will be worth it for people who don't use mods to enhance their graphics in game.

6. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I'm so happy you added that.

I thought that's what he was saying but I wasn't sure. But in the end, what's it matter? You are creating a new meta to compare two completely different games, which aren't really comparable in the first place.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Games like Bioshock and Halo 2 etc (~10 years old), those deserve remasters due to aged graphics and new lighting technology etc.
    Games that are only a couple years old don't really deserve them.
    They still look incredibly pretty.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  8. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    people who use mods benefit too. remaster's gonna be 64bit. so that should help. and probably some other tweaks here and there too. but it also going to still be compatible with past mods, so probably not too big changes. still its gonna be free for everyone who already owned skyrim legendary on PC. so i'm very happy with it.

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You could just buy the PC version of Skyrim for like 20$ at Wal*Mart, then install the high texture packs to make your own remastered version. It's basically the same thing.

10. Logan97
    OP

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Sorry if people misunderstood it's been a while lol, I was saying that the Standalone game doesn't use a lot of space really, so as big as Skyrim is with mini dungeons and such, how is it that the remaster doesn't look better than COD? and why is it 60$? I know the games are in different times and shouldn't be comparable since it is two completely different genre, but it bothered me a bit, I feel like it's a cash grab to me.

11. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    you're comparing a huge open world game to a FPS. of course it's not gonna look as good. plus skyrim is a remaster. not a remake. it's basically just polishing the rough edges. it's still the same game. this is mostly just for the newest consoles. PC release is just an added perk.

except that one is gonna be 32bit.

Logan97 likes this.
  12. Logan97
    OP

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    All I'm saying is, I'm pretty sure it could've been equivalent to COD even if it is a FPS, the title still says "Remastered", It's not like Skyrim is doing a multitude of things gameplay wise (As far as I see it) as opposed to the background activities, I don't know for sure. I'm not expecting a "wow" like the Final Fantasy remake, but something like "oh ok not bad" like the video shown above that's all.

13. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    that makes no sense. skyrim is a completely different game to COD, and its completely differently made.

14. Logan97
    OP

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Of course they're different I'm just saying why isn't it a real remaster like COD?

15. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium

16. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Well to be frank as far as I know it isn't being marketed as a remaster but as Skyrim: Special Edition. The word remaster isn't even mentioned once on the box they've shown off(although to be honest this is just all the blurb text on the front since the back was never shown).

Last edited by Daggot, Jul 19, 2016
  17. Logan97
    OP

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Ik that I was just clarifying for what you said that's all.

When you announce many new features that wasn't in the original, it has to be a remaster, especially if you announce it at the E3 showcase.

18. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    but they didn't.... it's just better graphics for PS4/Xbone and 64bit for PC. there's no new features really. it's more an enhanced edition.

19. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Not true at all. Devil May Cry 4 Special edition has many new features but it isn't classified as a remaster.