Gaming Remaining Storage Question

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I recently got a new Windows 10 Laptop that has 2 SSD/HDD's in it. One has about 500GB storage and has the Windows 10 OS on it, other has about 2TB of storage. Thing is, many of my games on both drives are upwards of 50GB and I am quickly running out of room. I don't really want to remove some games yet, and am wondering what is recommended amount of storage I should have left remaining on the drives. The primary drive (with the OS) has about 60GB left, and shows blue bar. The other drive has about 60GB left also, but that bar is showing red color. Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Try to keep each drive under 80% capacity.

A SSD will slow down to HDD speeds when it starts to get full because it won’t have the spare spare to move data around and run TRIM commands.

A HDD which already suffers from fragmentation will find its IO queue going through the roof when full as it has to rely on its tiny cache to swap data in/out.

If you’re really suffering for space, consider getting an external drive or NAS to offload any games or other data that you don’t need so often. NAS are also great for media files which can be streamed to any device as a PLEX server.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Network Attached Storage.

It’s similar to an external drive enclosure, with its own mini system and OS to allow it to connect to a network and act as a file server, media streaming server, downloading server, IP camera server, etc. Good ones can be pricey, not even including the price of the HDDs you put inside it, but there are cheap ones if you just want basic file storage (or even cloud storage) functionality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!