Hacking [RELEASE] Wii U USB Helper, a small eShop for Windows !

Which theme do you prefer?

• The dark theme

Votes: 225 84.3%
  • The light theme

Votes: 42 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

markmcrobie

Trophies
XP
Got this error today, whilst downloading a game:

Capture.PNG

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I'm glad you like it !
I've Been using it all day!! This is AMAZING!! So far I have been able to install everything I have downloaded with out issues.
It took me a while to re-find the "download manager" 'til i saw it on the right, lol, but the application is incredible!! I hope you do this for a living because the application is insane!! Very well done!

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I've Been using it all day!! This is AMAZING!! So far I have been able to install everything I have downloaded with out issues.
It took me a while to re-find the "download manager" 'til i saw it on the right, lol, but the application is incredible!! I hope you do this for a living because the application is insane!! Very well done!

Thank you for your message, I really appreciate !

Reactions: Pecrow

FinalDoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning clickonce, the application doesn't need it to work, it could work very well as a stand-alone app, but I just see it as a convenience to help me keep the application updated. There have been a few critical bugs lately which I am happy I have been able to patch quickly thanks to it. Btw, if you want the app as an archive, I don't mind sending you one, not at all, I'm just not publishing one here because I know it will get outdated soon, and people will not necessarily know an update is available.

I definitely agree with your position on clickonce making distribution and updates easier. Perhaps a future endeavor to ease cross-platform use (eg with mono or wine) could be to take the appdata/local/Apps/2.0/* folder the clickonce generates and just put it in a zip. The exe is in there, along with a bunch of DLLs and some configs and whatnot, so in theory it should work if it's all thrown in a zip for someone to extract in their non-windows environment and run. Not sure on your use of registry or anything like that which might complicate it, but usually it's fairly straightforward to get an exe running in linux if it's bundled with its dependences. Granted, this means no automatic updates for people who choose that, but you kinda are buying into that when you run something out of a zip anyway.

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I definitely agree with your position on clickonce making distribution and updates easier. Perhaps a future endeavor to ease cross-platform use (eg with mono or wine) could be to take the appdata/local/Apps/2.0/* folder the clickonce generates and just put it in a zip. The exe is in there, along with a bunch of DLLs and some configs and whatnot, so in theory it should work if it's all thrown in a zip for someone to extract in their non-windows environment and run. Not sure on your use of registry or anything like that which might complicate it, but usually it's fairly straightforward to get an exe running in linux if it's bundled with its dependences. Granted, this means no automatic updates for people who choose that, but you kinda are buying into that when you run something out of a zip anyway.
Yeah I can easily generate a standalone app, it works very well since there is no registry modification involved, I'm just not proposing it publicly because I'm fixing bugs everyday xD

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just finished downloading everything from the key site. Flawless execution. I can't love this app anymore than I already do.

Ape8000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a make work project for you,
What do you think of adding an import feature to the batch commands. It would scan a folder and move and rename the folders to your naming format by getting the Title ID from the title.tik.

Great app, BTW.

Reactions: JohnathanMonkey

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
As a make work project for you,
What do you think of adding an import feature to the batch commands. It would scan a folder and move and rename the folders to your naming format by getting the Title ID from the title.tik.

Great app, BTW.

Yeah that's a good idea. In fact it's being worked on and should be included soon.

reymas101

Professional GBAtemp Noob
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"DLC, VC (only install them on redNand!*) and Updates support, and file hashing to ensure your downloads are always perfect"
What is redNAND and is it safe to install DLC on sysNAND?

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
"DLC, VC (only install them on redNand!*) and Updates support, and file hashing to ensure your downloads are always perfect"
What is redNAND and is it safe to install DLC on sysNAND?

redNand is a way to redirect all i/o from the internal memory chip of the Wii U to the SD card. It allows you to experiment with your system without bricking. DLC can be installed on sysNand, but as always, there can be a risk if not done properly.
I advise you to read some other threads in this forum which will explain the procedure in greater details.

Ape8000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another idea,
Scan the updates folder and see if there are newer updates. Replace and report which updates were updated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
About your recent discussion on the released format, the installer package is also what makes me not want to try it.
I prefer standalone portable programs, which doesn't have to install itself on the system and writes to different folders, or register the installation in the "config panel/install uninstall programs".
I also read you use %appdata%, which is a folder I try to avoid, I'd prefer all programs to store their config and all the generated files to the local folder, or personalized folder. (another reason to make it portable)

the best compromise I'd agree with is that the installer doesn't install, but downloads and update new files at launch in the local folder.
not being an installer but a "version checker", which gets a portable package or individual modified files from your repository.

I also think I read that you include .net4.5 inside your installer? while it's nice for user who don't understand their computer, I also prefer programs not including it, making the choice to install the version we want, and making the installer smaller.

Reactions: galneon

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
About your recent discussion on the released format, the installer package is also what makes me not want to try it.
I prefer standalone portable programs, which doesn't have to install itself on the system and writes to different folders, or register the installation in the "config panel/install uninstall programs".
I also read you use %appdata%, which is a folder I try to avoid, I'd prefer all programs to store their config and all the generated files to the local folder, or personalized folder. (another reason to make it portable)

the best compromise I'd agree with is that the installer doesn't install, but downloads and update new files at launch in the local folder.
not being an installer but a "version checker", which gets a portable package or individual modified files from your repository.

I also think I read that you include .net4.5 inside your installer? while it's nice for user who don't understand their computer, I also prefer programs not including it, making the choice to install the version we want, and making the installer smaller.

I understand you point.
That said, a clickonce installer is as lightweight as it can get, while still allowing the app the get updated regularly. The installer does not require admin privileges and does not even modify the registry. So technically it fulfills your needs. And as to write another update engine, it's possible, but it would honestly be a waste of time as it would be a bit like reinventing the wheel.
People who want the app as a standalone can just ask me, I'm not hiding the link out of secrecy or anything, I do that for the sake of unexperimented users, for whom clickonce offers an easy way to keep their application always updated.
As to storing the configuration files with the app, this is actually regarded as a bad practice. The %appdata% is intended for this very purpose (as the name suggests), and allows you to have a centralized folder for your application. Were I to store the app's cache in the same folder as the app, it would mean that everytime you move the app around, it would have to re-download all the icons, banners, etc...
Finally, the .net4.5 is a requirement for the application to execute. Other versions such as 3.5 etc would not be compatible. And if a newer version of the framework is available, then it needn't be installed at all.

Last edited by Hikari06,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks for the answer.
And about the appdata, it's taking space on my boot partition, while I like the cache to be on the same drive than the program (in case of portable programs, that's not useful to keep the cache on another computer ...) and in that case it would have to re-download them, not the contrary.
I prefer having access to all resources in subfolders instead of scattered on different locations on my computer. I guess it's just my own preference.

microsoft may be enforcing users to work the way they decided, but not everybody fit in that model. I have my own way to setup my computer.
Putting cache in %appdata% is making an unnecessary bigger ghost image to backup/restore.
not all my programs are installed in "program files", my emails are not stored in appdata (I don't need to back/restore them when I do a ghost restoration of my boot partition)

Hikari06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
thanks for the answer.
And about the appdata, it's taking space on my boot partition, while I like the cache to be on the same drive than the program (in case of portable programs, that's not useful to keep the cache on another computer ...) and in that case it would have to re-download them, not the contrary.
I prefer having access to all resources in subfolders instead of scattered on different locations on my computer. I guess it's just my own preference.
No, your point is valid. It's just that unfortunately I have to make decisions at some point. Now that I have 1k+ downloads on the app, there is absolutely no way I can satisfy everyone ^^
I could of course add an option, but were I to do this every time people have a different opinion on a feature, the code would rapidly glet bloaty and unmaintainable.
That said, when the app is more mature and gets updated less often, I will probably offer a portable version which will store the files locally.

Last edited by Hikari06,
Reactions: Reid_Dead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: These videos are soooo dry