Homebrew [Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested 3 SMB3 hacks and a Zelda hack. 2 of the SMB3 hacks were ones that had a lot of effort put into them, and the Zelda hack only runs on specific emulators. Note I had sound muted on the 3ds so I don't know about sound.

Super Luigi Bros. 3: Works, though it'd be a surprise if it didn't, as it merely makes Player 1 use Luigi's sprites instead of Mario.
Super Mario Bros. 3mix: Works great, and it even saves the game just fine (tested save feature by switching between ROMs and closing and restarting the emulator, save file remained when returning to game)
Mario Adventure: Works great
Zelda: The Legend of Link: Unfortunately, does not boot, just hangs at a gray screen, but does not freeze the emulator.

Reactions: Rangnarok

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
a nice alternative to injects. as injects is not always going to be the best answer forever (eventually snes gb gbc gba etc injects will hit that 300 Home screen Icon cap.
a nice test will be klax (thsi ran slow on nesDS in twlloader homebrew mode (as well w/ corrupted graphics) same effect in Injects. so i'll give this a shot!

Yup, Klax seems to work with this. :)

it´s compatible with the bandai fcg board mapper?

The mapper was implemented. I just tested it with a translated version of Dragon Ball Z and it runs ok.

Changing the screen size will make the previous frame stay there.

Ah, thanks for pointing this out. Will fix it soon. :)

@bubble2k16 Great job as always. I stress tested the sound emulation, and found that it has a hard time with Skate or Die 2's title screen BGM (if you want to have a look). It uses some pretty unique stuff such as voice sampling.

Oh what was the matter. :ha: It seems to play the digital samples ok... With what little NES knowledge I have, I would guess that this emulator is not really cycle accurate when it comes to digital samples. Things may go a little off with those digital samples.

Savestate would also be nice. I am an old man now and I still have nightmares about some of the brutally-hard games on the NES

Yes, save states are available. Up to 4 slots like what we had in Snes9x for 3DS.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh what was the matter. :ha: It seems to play the digital samples ok... With what little NES knowledge I have, I would guess that this emulator is not really cycle accurate when it comes to digital samples. Things may go a little off with those digital samples..

It plays them okay sometimes, but you can notice some degradation, muffled audio, or other such inconsistencies as it runs, even when resetting the game and listening to the same sections again. Maybe I'm being too attentive to it since I'm very audio-ccentric, and I'm definitely not complaining about it either, since it's a very special case not pivotal to enjoyment of the game XD Inaccurate cycles would help explain it though, since special tricks are used to make it work in the first place. It's just something I always go to when testing a new emulator, because not only does the song use digital samples, it distorts the very same samples for "instrumental" musical playback. You'd be surprised how few emulators actually recreate it 1:1 from hardware playback. It's a special kind of audio, like Gimmick!'s soundtrack and maybe even Solstice's title BGM, and Fester's Quest's boss theme ^-^

Last edited by ArtemisM,

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. VirtuaNES? What a peculiar choice.

That said- performance seems perfect across the board on N3DS (unsurprisingly). It even handles Lagrange Point's music more or less perfectly- which is a rare sight. Once the stability's been dealt with, this will easily be the definitive NES emulator on the platform.

Bravo, again!

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
holy mother of f*ck u r so fast dude!!!!!!
it works really grate!! most of my unofficial games works(yeah!)
ur awesome man!
BTW. how can i set the bios to play fds games?

frobinson54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work!! I tested it, and it works very well, especially for a first public version!! Are there plans to implement cheats in the future since the menu is there? That would really make it amazing!!

Reactions: elBenyo

dtlux1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping we'd have a good NES emulator on the 3DS soon, this is great. Can't wait to install it when I get home.

kindacozi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks cool! I will be trying this out now. :yay3ds:
EDIT: I Can't actually get the fancy blue VirtuaNES screen to appear on the top...
All i get is a black screen :/

Last edited by kindacozi,

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gameboy one would be useful to gameyob sounds bad and id like a gb emulator with a GUI rather than retro arch cores
If you download the DS version of GameYob, it includes a .cia file for installation on 3DS (it runs the .nds version in TWL mode). It runs (and sounds) a lot better than the retroarch and 3DS Gameyob emulators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China