Homebrew [Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@bubble2k16, it seems I don't have the required privilege to PM you, so here's a quick upload of the dbg.txt I just generated:

https://mega.nz/#!rg4mzQ4C!nn9UF7K536QRhRffAFX4v4XMCgA5QYkmujr7AU_uQNs

Hi @SG6000, that was very helpful; it helped to narrow down the places that the crash happened, but I still need more information. So we may have to do this a few times if you don't mind. :) I uploaded another debug build.

virtuanes_3ds_dbg.3dsx

Please remove the original dbg.txt file from your folder. Then load a few ROMS again, and then post the dbg.txt file to me again.

Thanks!

Krem Quay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there are developer notes and tools here, if that helps: https://archive.org/details/VRTfiles-nesdev

And vrt.com.tw did release an emulator for testing/development purposes, known as the EmuVT. Sadly, its source code was not released. It does support bin files, VT02, VT03 emulation, as far as I know.

Hoping I don't go off-topic here.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well there are developer notes and tools here, if that helps: https://archive.org/details/VRTfiles-nesdev

And vrt.com.tw did release an emulator for testing/development purposes, known as the EmuVT. Sadly, its source code was not released. It does support bin files, VT02, VT03 emulation, as far as I know.

Hoping I don't go off-topic here.

Yup. My stand stays. It's not likely to be implemented, at least not by me. :) I've only been porting emulators so far, not creating a new one from scratch. Besides, it seems like VT03/VT09 is not just a "mapper". It seems like a clone of NES but with different hardware specifications.

Reactions: Krem Quay

Krem Quay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have been trying to get the word out there about VT emulation because many of those games cannot be emulated and are usually dumps of plug'n'plays.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much! Seems like the problem happened when resetting the PPU. I fixed something, and added more logs. Hopefully this is the last:
virtuanes_3ds_dbg.3dsx

Wow. This one loads ROMs. Lots of them. In my cursory check on FDS game combatibility I haven't had any load, but its just amazing to see these (few) games work and look so great.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wow. This one loads ROMs. Lots of them. In my cursory check on FDS game combatibility I haven't had any load, but its just amazing to see these (few) games work and look so great.

Ok great! Looks like that was the bug that I fixed.

With this fix, I can publish the latest version soon! Thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Hi @SG6000, I've pushed the latest dev builds to Github now.
virtuanes_3ds.3dsx
virtuanes_3ds.cia

This one doesn't have those debug stuff. Try to see if these now boots your NES ROMs properly. Thanks again for the great help!

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey @Shin Akuma, @SG6000. I am not sure what's the problem, but I've uploaded a debug .3dsx build that writes a log to a file.
virtuanes_3ds_dbg.3dsx

Please do me a favor and put this 3dsx file in your /3ds/virtuanes_3ds_dbg folder and launch it with the Home-brew Launcher.

When you load a new ROM, it will log to a dbg.txt in the same folder. Please try doing it for a few ROMs, then please PM me that file.

Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As what @Robz8 mentioned. I included the dev build for .3dsx link here:
virtuanes_3ds.cia
virtuanes_3ds.3dsx

I cant find the option so pm you :s i did what you asked me. The best part is that the 3dsx version works flawlessly...whats wrong with the cia version andmy n3ds :s

frobinson54

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @SG6000, I've pushed the latest dev builds to Github now.
virtuanes_3ds.3dsx
virtuanes_3ds.cia

This one doesn't have those debug stuff. Try to see if these now boots your NES ROMs properly. Thanks again for the great help!

How do I get cheats to work? I have some .cht files in my roms folder that are named exactly the same as my roms. However, when I load the rom and then go back to the menu to look at the cheats, it says that no cheats are available for this game. I know the first public release didn't have cheat support, but I'm using the latest dev build, and it looked like you may have implemented cheats based on previous discussion. Are .cht files supported? Do I need to put them somewhere else?
Thanks in advance!

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I cant find the option so pm you :s i did what you asked me. The best part is that the 3dsx version works flawlessly...whats wrong with the cia version andmy n3ds :s

Hi Shin, I think I solved the problem after working with @SG6000. The latest dev build for the CIA should now work too.

Do download it and let me know if you still face problems.

How do I get cheats to work? I have some .cht files in my roms folder that are named exactly the same as my roms. However, when I load the rom and then go back to the menu to look at the cheats, it says that no cheats are available for this game. I know the first public release didn't have cheat support, but I'm using the latest dev build, and it looked like you may have implemented cheats based on previous discussion. Are .cht files supported? Do I need to put them somewhere else?
Thanks in advance!

You need to create a text file format, and name it "MyRom.chx".

Now this cheat file format is a text file. Each line in the file is 1 cheat, and each cheat has the following format:

<enabled>,<game-genie 6 or 8 character code>,<description of cheat>

Example:
File Name = 8 eyes.chx

Contents:
Y,GXOUSUSE,Most attacks won't damage Orin
Y,GXNGNOSE,Most attacks won't damage Cutrus

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
YEP it finally worked!! :D
Just out of curiosity ,what was the problem man?

Well, it's was just the screen buffer that was not properly initialised. As a result, when a ROM was loaded, the PPU reset tried to clear this buffer, it ended up clearing invalid parts of the 3DS memory, causing the crash. If that makes any sense to you... :)

With that fixed, I think I can finally publish the latest version live, like soon. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on