Homebrew [Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This happens to me when a ROM fails to load and then I try another ROM, kicks me right to the Home Menu. Is this what it's doing or on the initial ROM select it crashes?

The latest dev build should fix the crashing problem after failing to load a ROM.

As for Shin's problem, I'm not sure yet. Just have to wait for him to fill me in on the details.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest dev build should fix the crashing problem after failing to load a ROM.

As for Shin's problem, I'm not sure yet. Just have to wait for him to fill me in on the details.
Oh awesome, grabbing the latest development build now. Will let you know of anything I come across. Thanks bubble2k16!

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yup that's the one. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am absolutely loving this emulator. The games look and sound great on my N3DSXL! Using the latest build from Github and having no issues, but then again, I am not really doing anything "new" with the emulator. FDS support is rad though, I remember back on my PSP never being able to get FDS roms loading with NesterJ (ah, back in the day...).

One thought though. I don't know if this would be possible, but would it be doable to show on the menu if a Save State Slot has been saved to? This is a common problem with me just forgetting where I saved what and when, but some emus in the past have either changed the "Save State 1" text to the date/time the state was saved. It's just a creature comfort though, so it isn't something really all that essential. Might just help forgetful people like me, haha!

Either way, I can't wait to fiddle around with this more! By the way, I absolutely LOVE the UI you are using for this and Snes9X! It's based on Material Design, no? It is animated and looks just so classy!

Thanks. Yes the whole UI scheme was inspired by some Material Design, especially the colors.

For save states, I wanted to take a little further than what you suggested but unfortunately life's starting to get busy again. :) So I doubt I am going to have the time until a long while later. :)

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi, Shin Akuma, mind telling me a bit more about your setup? Which 3DS? What is the folder structure of the ROM you are trying to load from? Which game was it? Also, is it the v0.90 release? Or the development build?

Even better if you can grab a screen of the emulator before you hit the A button to load the rom.

Hi and sorry for the late reply

Im at work atm and i just saw the post so i cant make a screenshot atm
So my thing is N3dsXL 11.2 with CFW and im using the one you have on your first post(0.90) cia version
Installed it with FBI like everything else. it boots up ok till the game selection
After i choose the game it just crashes back to the home menu
I tried a romhack i made for DD3,crashed... or even every other game i try just crashes too
I have the roms in a folder at root of the card named nes

Last edited by Shin Akuma,

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a port of VirtuaNES to 3DS as an alternative to existing NES emulators. It used to be considered one of the best emulators before FCE and Nestopia, and it runs quite fast for lower spec-ed computers (at the cost of some emulation accuracy). But because of that, the Old 3DS / 2DS is able to benefit from this fast running emulator core. This runs full speed on an old 3DS / 2DS with support for tonnes of mappers. Although it doesn't support every single mapper, the library of games that can run on this are probably fairly huge already.

As always this will also work on a new 3DS.

Download latest from Github:
virtuanes_3ds-v0.90.zip

To use:

Homebrew Launcher:
  1. Copy virtuanes_3ds.3dsx, virtuanes_3ds.smdh and virtuanes_3ds_top.png into the /3ds/virtuanes_3ds on your SD card.
  2. Place your NES ROMs inside any folder.
  3. Go to your Homebrew Launcher (either via Cubic Ninja, Soundhax or other entry points) and launch the virtuanes_3ds emulator.
CIA Version:
  1. Use your favorite CIA installer to install virtuanes_3ds.cia into your CFW. You can also use FBI to download from TitleDB.
  2. Place your NES ROMs inside any folder.
  3. Copy virtuanes_3ds_top.png to ROOT of your SD card.
  4. Exit your CIA installer and go to your CFW's home screen to launch the app.
When in-game:
  1. Tap the bottom screen for the menu.
  2. Use Up/Down to choose option, and A to confirm. (Hold down X while pressing Up/Down to Page Up/Page Down)
  3. Use Left/Right to change between ROM selection and emulator options.
  4. You can quit the emulator to your homebrew launcher / your CFW's home screen.

screen-shot-2017-03-23-at-11-32-24-pm-png.82282

It uses the same familiar user interface as Snes9x for 3DS.

What's Supported:

1. Lots of mappers (*ROM mappers; MMC1,3,5,6; VRC1,2,3,4,6,7; and tonnes of others)

2. Enable/Disable of flickering sprites
(sprites in the games on real hardware flicker due to hardware limitation, but an emulator can ignore these limitations for a better visual output)

3. Sound generation at a nice 32000 Hz with a low pass filter.

4. Button configuration, and setting of rapid fire rate (no rapid fire, to very very fast)

What's missing:

1. Cheats
2. Some odd synchronisation bugs with sound generation causing some notes / effects to sound weird once in every 10-20 seconds. (especially for games with special sound chips on their mappers)

Feedback / bug reports are welcome as usual. :)
So, where do I put the Femicom Disk System BIOS?

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

So my thing is N3dsXL 11.2 with CFW and im using the one you have on your first post(0.90) cia version
Installed it with FBI like everything else. it boots up ok till the game selection
I tried a romhack i made for DD3,crashed... or even every other game i try just crashes too

Maybe you try the latest dev build and feedback to me to see if it still gives the same problem?

So, where do I put the Femicom Disk System BIOS?

You have to get the latest dev build from https://github.com/bubble2k16/emus3ds. Download either the 3dsx or cia version.

Then grab the bios (make sure you rename it disksys.rom) and place it into /3ds/virtuanes_3ds/bios/disksys.rom

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan

I think maybe u never dump dsp before?
Try using this
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-dsp-firmware-dumper.402108/

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk Pro 發送

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe you try the latest dev build and feedback to me to see if it still gives the same problem?

You have to get the latest dev build from https://github.com/bubble2k16/emus3ds. Download either the 3dsx or cia version.

Then grab the bios (make sure you rename it disksys.rom) and place it into /3ds/virtuanes_3ds/bios/disksys.rom

Same problem :/ downloaded version 0.91 and still same thing with any kind of rom i try to load.
I did the DSP dump kane refers when i did the CFW installation so..
also its the only app i have that crashes like that.No idea what am i doing wrong...and it looks so awesome dammit

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem :/ downloaded version 0.91 and still same thing with any kind of rom i try to load.
I did the DSP dump kane refers when i did the CFW installation so..
also its the only app i have that crashes like that.No idea what am i doing wrong...and it looks so awesome dammit
Do those ROMs load up on other NES emulators for the 3DS? See if you can load one up in QuickNES to rule out if it's your ROMs. I've been using the latest development build and it's working perfectly from what I can tell.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, I'm still not getting the 3dsx, .90 cia or dev cia working with any ROMs on either my O3DS or 2DS (both on Luma 11.2). In every case an attempt to load results in a hard system crash. QuickNES is working as normal with the same ROMs. The Luma crash message states "Exception type: prefetch abort;
Current process: Ctrapp", if that's any help.

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Do those ROMs load up on other NES emulators for the 3DS? See if you can load one up in QuickNES to rule out if it's your ROMs. I've been using the latest development build and it's working perfectly from what I can tell.
Yes mate, its the same nes roms folder i use always, just using my favorite games etc
Very weird situation

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did all of that. The FDS ROMs are not showing up.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: NANASHI89

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes mate, its the same nes roms folder i use always, just using my favorite games etc
Very weird situation

Unfortunately, I'm still not getting the 3dsx, .90 cia or dev cia working with any ROMs on either my O3DS or 2DS (both on Luma 11.2). In every case an attempt to load results in a hard system crash. QuickNES is working as normal with the same ROMs. The Luma crash message states "Exception type: prefetch abort;
Current process: Ctrapp", if that's any help.

Hey @Shin Akuma, @SG6000. I am not sure what's the problem, but I've uploaded a debug .3dsx build that writes a log to a file.
virtuanes_3ds_dbg.3dsx

Please do me a favor and put this 3dsx file in your /3ds/virtuanes_3ds_dbg folder and launch it with the Home-brew Launcher.

When you load a new ROM, it will log to a dbg.txt in the same folder. Please try doing it for a few ROMs, then please PM me that file.

Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Would this be what you're referring to?

https://github.com/bubble2k16/emus3ds/releases/download/v0.9/virtuanes_3ds-v0.90.zip

Cause I've used this AND the one from Wolvan's Homebr3w app.... and nothing.

Maybe the FDS ROMS are supposed to be separate from the NES ones?

As what @Robz8 mentioned. I included the dev build for .3dsx link here:
virtuanes_3ds.cia
virtuanes_3ds.3dsx

Last edited by bubble2k16,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-