Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

gerodive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude what the heck? It just seems like you stripped all the meat out of your guide and left it to the hands of another website? FAIL.

MikeyMike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm.. And what do I do if I have a jap wii with 4.1U region hacked?..
Any suggestions? I want to run NTSC back ups.
When using the homebrew channel, all apps load to a black screen. Any ideas?

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MikeyMike said:
Hmm.. And what do I do if I have a jap wii with 4.1U region hacked?..
Any suggestions? I want to run NTSC back ups.
When using the homebrew channel, all apps load to a black screen. Any ideas?

i thought the loading to a black screen is due to an ios problem?

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update on my situation (for those who have similar problems but no help)

the game (mario kart ntsc) loads up to the point when you choose the cup you wanna race in. then when youre gonna press ok or you get to press it (either of the two) thats when it goes to the screen saying unable to read disk or something like that and also mentioning to see the owners manual

i loaded the game with gecko os and it allwed me to play it normally but when i tried a second cup race it did the same thing. im starting to think the i got a bad backup. Im in the process of getting another and ill come back to let whoever is here know what happens then. ...
frown.gif

Cimi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
is it necessary to update IOS 36 with TBR *after* having updated the firmware with the 4.2 safe firmware updater?

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cimi said:
is it necessary to update IOS 36 with TBR *after* having updated the firmware with the 4.2 safe firmware updater?

oh yes did that already, wouldnt it have just gone to a black screen if i hadnt done that? but yeah in any case i have done that since thats the ios thats used for that game, i havent had any probs with super smash and it uses the same ios

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so it turns out that i had a bad back up of the Mario kart game. so yeah prob solved.

original problem was i went from 4.0 to 4.2 on my NTSC wii and my mario kart game would not work
turned out to be a pal MK so i got a NTSC
that NTSC was apparantly a bad backup so yeah after i replaced that one i was good to go
biggrin.gif

witch meant i never had an ios prob so the updater was def mod friendly

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Cimi said:
No, because this updater would not have stubbed the cIOSes.

Although, it does depend on what you want to do with your Wii.

phreak61

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay i tried to read through all of posts got through under half of them and gave up i thought i would just ask my question.

I tried this updater and it went through all the downloads and installs but when it gets to the 4.2 system menu it (i think) downloads and then can't install it shuts off before i get a chance to read what it says. but i do know that this is where the problem is. I am updating from 4.1U. It really isn't that important to update to this sys menu but it was there and thought i would give it a try.

any idea? thanx in advance
ph34r.gif

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i read in a few post while looking for my answer that some had some similar problems. they had to udate normally (thats what i read) and they hadt 4.2 virgin on there system. and from there they had to soft mod it. (there definately several guides for 4.2 virgin softmodding) so yeah i gues those are your two options. make sure u donthave anything on the wii hooked up besides the wiimote and sensor bar no gamecube controllers or memory cards (except maybe for the sd card thats fine)

PMGX

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot for this! Seriously, this kinda saved my life. I bought Band Hero and I had to do the update in order to play and thanks to this I managed to update it safely and don't lose any of my homebrew! Thanks a LOT!!

chicano323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have i beleive two apps for this so that you can update the ios that you would need. im pretty sure they tell you the program that you would need at the begining of the post

Thorgal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wacko.gif
sorry for the following noob question:

My Wii is 4.0E. A friend of mine softmodded it using a SD-card. the card has these directory's: apps, codes, images, private, wad

the root contains: - boot.dol - cIOS36_rev10-installer.dol -DowngradeIOS35,dol -installer.log -Wadmanager1.4d.ol
the apps directory contains: - ciosrev10istaller - IOS_Downgrade - usb - usbloader - WAD_Managerv1.4
the wad directory contains the following wads: bul3g, ciosv7, hbc, ios35, ios36, ios60patched.wad, USBL_forwarder_channel_blue and usbl_forwarder_channel_orange.

I recently bought WiiFIT+ and Guitar Hero 5 and both games tell me to update first. This is were I dont know what to do cause I understand applying an official update can brick a softmodded Wii ?

QUESTION
What happens if I use this to update? can I use that and will I then be able to play my new games as well as my backupped games using the usbloader?

any help or directions would be greatly appriciated, and yes - I consider myself an giant noob in this area

supersonic5000

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thorgal said:
wacko.gif

My Wii is 4.0E. A friend of mine softmodded it using a SD-card. the card has these directory's: apps, codes, images, private, wad

the root contains: - boot.dol - cIOS36_rev10-installer.dol -DowngradeIOS35,dol -installer.log -Wadmanager1.4d.ol
the apps directory contains: - ciosrev10istaller - IOS_Downgrade - usb - usbloader - WAD_Managerv1.4
the wad directory contains the following wads: bul3g, ciosv7, hbc, ios35, ios36, ios60patched.wad, USBL_forwarder_channel_blue and usbl_forwarder_channel_orange.

I recently bought WiiFIT+ and Guitar Hero 5 and both games tell me to update first. This is were I dont know what to do cause I understand applying an official update can brick a softmodded Wii ?

QUESTION
What happens if I use this to update? can I use that and will I then be able to play my new games as well as my backupped games using the usbloader?

any help or directions would be greatly appriciated, and yes - I consider myself an giant noob in this area
Guitar Hero 5 requires a new version of IOS 56 that 4.2 doesn't have just install that wad with wad manager to play it.
As for Wiifit+ I'm not sure what IOS it uses.

Thorgal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
supersonic5000 said:
Thorgal said:
wacko.gif

QUESTION

Guitar Hero 5 requires a new version of IOS 56 that 4.2 doesn't have just install that wad with wad manager to play it.
As for Wiifit+ I'm not sure what IOS it uses.

Does that mean I dont have to run this updater? Only use wadmanager to install IOS 56 ? or do I need to do both?
Is running this updater save for running my other games from the harddisk like I used to?

vic_rattlehead

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
zektor said:
IF YOU HAVE A REGION HACKED WII (IE: YOUR WII WAS KOREAN AND YOU HACKED IT TO REPORT AS A USA CONSOLE), DO NOT PERFORM *ANY* V4.2 UPDATE. NOT THIS OR THE ORIGINAL NINTENDO UPDATE!

Hi, just wondering: I'm not sure whether my PAL Wii is "region hacked" according to this definition. I installed some Hacks with Startpatch including making the disc channel region free (and I've tested it, and it works with all region discs) but I'm running on 4.1E.

Should I update to 4.2?

Thanks for the heads up.

neroxyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
yesterday i was using ftpii to save some files from my computer.. there I saw a folder named EEPROM and there was a file called korean_key or sth like that? I've read the whole topic (32 pages are a lot), and read that only korean wiis have this file, i don't have a korean wii. how is this possible? Is there a way to use this safe update? txs

disforw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my console using this SAFE updater successfully. THANK YOU! but for some reason when i try Endless Ocean 2, it still asks me to preform a system update. Any idea of what i can do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far