Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

flytai45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty cool...i was actually looking for something like this since i installed hbc way back in the 3.2 days and have been curious about 4.2 and it's features but have also been to lazy to search for it

sylvio2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If I try to Upgrade to 4.2 (from 4.1 E) I get the -1017 error
It looks like this:

es_AddContentStart(00000001000000035, 0) failed: -1017
install returned -1
installation complete!
error something failed (ret: -1)

(This is not exactly MY error message, I just coped it from another guy from this forum)

When I first tried to install the 4.2 upgrade this error came at the beginning of the process. Somebody said one have to uninstall CiosCorp. I had cioscorp 3.4 installed on my system, so I downloaded cioscorp uninstaller 3.5 and uninstalled cioscorp (maybe I should try cioscorp uninstaller 3.4? Does it make any difference?)

Now I thought everything was fine when I started the upgrade to 4.2 again. But after some minutes I got the same error at IOS57.

What else could be the problem?

edit:
Does nobody has a solution for this? Whats with the other guys having the same problem. What have you done?

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great tool, will it use soon to update from 4.1.

Just a question; using this will work as a "transparent" update from Nintendo to 4.2? I mean, after running this and hitting the "Update" button in the Wii's settings, will it say that I have the latest firmware version? Or will it still want to update? (Maybe someone that already used this tool can go and try it out to see what happens)

Since I'm trying to run a Wii that's as cleanest as possible, I would love to have it "fully" updated to 4.2 and without having to DOP-IOS, reinstall everything, etc. again

Thanks

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dan, I'm pretty sure it'll still prompt you to update, if you skip the boot2 update, and your boot2 isn't boot2v4. You can use Priiloader to block online updates though, so if you have children or whatever, you won't have to worry about boot2 or it being updated.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... what a bummer then
frown.gif

The only reason why it bothers me is because I'll know that the Wii isn't in a "pristine" state; i.e., everything fully updated. Since I'm quite OCD, I'd really like to be that way.

I guess then I should update via Nintendo's update function and then reinstall everything over.

But since I just updated to the latest HBC / BootMii, I'm pretty sure that the HBC doesn't get deleted (because of the title id change), but what about the boot2 sector? Does it still get overwritten?

And what about the Waninkoko cIOS Rev 15 (which I also just updated to), it DOES get overwritten, right?

Thanks.

Conundrum1911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to have to post this (really feel like a noob atm), but I've looked high and low for the offline guide for this updater...reason being that I have a friend who is on 3.4U with preloader installed, which corrupted his system menu and now he can't get on wifi/edit his settings to use the online updater. I also want to make sure I can do this right the first time for him, as he can't install Bootmii as boot2, so preloader is my only shot at running any homebrew on his console (and if anything modifies the system menu incorrectly, I'll lose complete access).

Here is a breakdown of his console atm:

-system fw 3.4U
-cios38 rev14 installed
-ios36 patched
-latest homebrew channel with bootmii as ios
-wad manager on the sd, along with a bunch of other apps
-preloader .30 installed (which borked his system menu)
-no internet connection on wii

I've gone through about 10-15 pages of this thread, with various people saying "use the offline guide" or "use the link on the first page/post", but unless I'm going blind, its either been taken down or I can't find it. If someone can actually post a link that'd be great, as I figure I can just use wadmanager to install what is needed (I've got NUS Downloader to get the files), and I can have him up and running safely again at 4.2U.

Thanks in advance guys.

robhiengler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conundrum1911 said:
I've gone through about 10-15 pages of this thread, with various people saying "use the offline guide" or "use the link on the first page/post", but unless I'm going blind, its either been taken down or I can't find it. If someone can actually post a link that'd be great, as I figure I can just use wadmanager to install what is needed (I've got NUS Downloader to get the files), and I can have him up and running safely again at 4.2U.

Thanks in advance guys.

Maybe I'm not getting what your asking but you just need to click on the file host names (any of the five they all still work) NOT on the download buttons/icons which will just bring up another advert.

Offline guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183384

Zektor's original post?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182...p;#entry2297787

You're an absolute legend zektor

+ 1 million

upgraded from 3.2E with latest HB and IOS 249 and "shop channel" work around preinstalled

no errors.

Thanks again zektor

Conundrum1911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
longtom1 said:
get the files for the guide below

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

and follow the Update to 4.2 section

QUOTE(robhiengler @ Dec 22 2009, 11:15 AM) Offline guide:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183384

Zektor's original post?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182...p;#entry2297787

Thanks guys, this does look like the info I need. My only remaining question is does the info given in both guides work for a 3.4 upgrade to 4.2, or just 4.x to 4.2? Since I still have the ability to load wad manager via the hbc installing these wads to fix things should be trivial.

EDIT: After looking at the two guides again (http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin and http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183384) I've noticed that the first one (revirginize) includes some wads are listed in one guide but not in the other. Should I be combining these to cover everything, or does either guide work (and the extra wads are not really needed)? Here is the list of differences from each guide:

Additional wads from first guide/revirginizing wii not listed in Zektor's:
IOS 11 v256
IOS 20 v256
IOS 30 v2816
IOS 50 v5120

Additional wads from second guide/Zektor's:

IOS 57 v5661

I'm guessing the "safest bet" would be to upgrade everything listed in both guides (including those extra wads I just listed), since none of those should affect running cios anyhow, since nothing touches ios 249 or 222...

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dan_Aykroyd said:
But since I just updated to the latest HBC / BootMii, I'm pretty sure that the HBC doesn't get deleted (because of the title id change), but what about the boot2 sector? Does it still get overwritten?

And what about the Waninkoko cIOS Rev 15 (which I also just updated to), it DOES get overwritten, right?

Thanks.

If you have boot2v4 then it won't update it, but if it does update it then you will have to reinstall it. Until the update is over then you are at higher risk than normal. Though if you have a nand backup and the keys then you can install an infectus mod chip to restore it afterwards.

waninkoko installs two IOS, 249 & 250. Out of those two, only 249 will get overwritten. You will have to delete Nintendo's version before you can install waninkoko's. The mod from 4.2 guides will tell you how to do that though.

Homebrew channel should survive, but as long as you don't have cioscorp installed then it should install without any problems.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers.

So, since I already have latest HBC, it won't be overwritten with the 4.2. Then, when updating, it will stub the (among others) IOS249. My question now is, will it be reinstalled OK by running afterwards the cIOS installer from Waninkoko? Or that installer won't install because the stub from Nintendo is v65534 (highest)?

I ask this because I don't want to trucha-bug IOS36, run ATD, delete stubs, reinstall cIOS, install non-trucha-bugged IOS36.

Thanks again

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
should be no problem to run dop-ios then delete the stubs and overwrite some ios with an another version, but "dipped".
I did it this way,if i remember right... had no problems...

but better to wait for a second opinion.

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I update it'll get me to 4.2
so does it affect backuploaders?if it does will trucha signing ios70 fix it,what tool do I use to trucha sign?
Is there a preloader/priiloader hacks.ini for 4.2?And where?
What cios do I need before installing this if any?

scooochie4

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
I just used this installer and everything was going fine. Then I look away for a minute and it had gone back to homebrew channel. I assumed that everything had updated fine but when I go to the wii system menu it still says 3.2E. Is this normal?

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to 4.2,but now It has uninstalled preloader,now what do I do? Which ios do I trucha sign? Do I follow this guide?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc

to trucha sign it again(I did this once before on 3.4

Edit:/\
No it is not normal your update probably had a network error and canceled installation,mine worked smoothly and I'm on 4.2 now.

dookie454

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to get some help with my strange situation after safe updating to 4.2u from 3.3u.

I have all the goodies installed, USB HDD, BootMII with Boot2 V2.

Right now (after updating to 4.2U) on 4.2U everything still works however my video on my 52" 1080p LCD is somewhat blurry as if it would be when connected using composit (single rca cable). I have the component video cables connected. Video settings in the Wii software show 480p.

With 3.3u the image was sharp and clear. The only problem I had was no internet connection, so any of the auto-install packages (including this one) would not install. I found on an OFFLINE guide from adewii to update safely to 4.2u and then I was able to get online and this is when I noticed the somewhat blurry resolution.

I then ran this V4.2 Safe Firmware Updater since I was able to connect to internet, and still the video is blurrier than with 3.3u.

Any of the homebrew apps show crystal clear video and text, but everything in the Wii software + games are all slightly blurry, like Im connected over composite, however I have component cables and it worked fine when I was at 3.3.

Any ideas? This confuses me!

ashujaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: I am on 3.1U and would like to update to 4.2U

what i have currentlly:

1. Bootmii as boot2 (with NAND BACKUP already done) with the latest Homebrowser
2. cios38rev16 (latest) (249) and cios 222 (4) or 223
3. Usb LOADERS gx , configurable usb loader , uloader (all working and all latest)
4. wirelless connection

what i have to prepare else for the 4.2 safe upgrade. I wouldn't want to loose the current ablitity to play

wht should i do more to prepare

thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4