Hacking [Release] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki - Evolution Psvita

Dasutein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New logo is a go, and it looks great. Thanks again @GraveViolento!

2020-07-12-161817.png
I experimented with adding "Evolution" to the main menu text also. Obviously the font is different (since it came direct from Evo), but it can definitely be done.
2020-07-12-161830.png
Title cards for locations also work. No more Japanese names!
2020-07-12-160407.png
Tutorial images like this one are feasible, but button icons will need to be added. The PC version has the button icons removed so that they could show icons for different controllers or keys.
2020-07-12-162618.png
Using Geofront's Chapter title images makes them appear badly mangled in Evo. They seem to be handled differently than on PC.
2020-07-12-162022.png

Dasutein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My god, you madmen are actually doing it? I wish I could donate or something. Is that a thing?
Save your donations for buying an official copy or other Falcom merch instead.
Yea I would like to second this. I have no idea how far you are willing to go but the thought behind it is worth thanking
Just speaking for myself, but I can't say how far I'll be able to go with this project, or if I'll be able to keep working on it. I'll do what I can, but there are still roadblocks in the way.
Aside from trying to figuring out this game's Scena format, we'd also need a translator & editor to work on the script for the exclusive quests, and the new system text in the ver. 1.01 eboot (like the new game quiz). This is very much still the experimental stage of the project, even more so without EvilGoku's prior tools.

I did manage to get in contact with superninja2525, whom was mentioned in EvilGoku's OP. They suggested that we could try to get in contact with these people to possibly to gain some insight on Evo's Scena format:
  • Ouroboros (The original creator of EDDecompiler)
  • ZhenjianYang (Has the most active fork of EDDecompiler)
  • JoseJL or Ribose (Geofront's programmers. They're on the Falcom Discord. Personally, I'd rather not bother them while they're hard at work on Azure).
For now, I'm trying to get the rest of the English images prepared, and I want to see how feasible it will be to replace the text in the ver. 1.01 eboot. (I'm only working on it off and on).
If I do have to stop for any reason, I will provide the assets I worked on and any relevant notes that would be helpful, just so you all aren't left completely hanging.

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save your donations for buying an official copy or other Falcom merch instead.

Just speaking for myself, but I can't say how far I'll be able to go with this project, or if I'll be able to keep working on it. I'll do what I can, but there are still roadblocks in the way.
Aside from trying to figuring out this game's Scena format, we'd also need a translator & editor to work on the script for the exclusive quests, and the new system text in the ver. 1.01 eboot (like the new game quiz). This is very much still the experimental stage of the project, even more so without EvilGoku's prior tools.

I did manage to get in contact with superninja2525, whom was mentioned in EvilGoku's OP. They suggested that we could try to get in contact with these people to possibly to gain some insight on Evo's Scena format:
  • Ouroboros (The original creator of EDDecompiler)
  • ZhenjianYang (Has the most active fork of EDDecompiler)
  • JoseJL or Ribose (Geofront's programmers. They're on the Falcom Discord. Personally, I'd rather not bother them while they're hard at work on Azure).
For now, I'm trying to get the rest of the English images prepared, and I want to see how feasible it will be to replace the text in the ver. 1.01 eboot. (I'm only working on it off and on).
If I do have to stop for any reason, I will provide the assets I worked on and any relevant notes that would be helpful, just so you all aren't left completely hanging.

Thanks for the update. I would still try to see if you could get anyone to assist you on the falcom discord since there are a lot of other people asides from the original team who might be able to assist you. (There was a couple of people who patched the PC version of Ao No kiseki to have their voices work, for instance. Might be able to do other stuff as well). I'm also not sure how discomforting it would be to bother Jose or Ribose as Zerker at one point said he would be really open to having their team assist someone who wanted to port the vita translation as long as it wasn't their own team.

Dokterfreddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Dasutein

If you still need the save files I can provide them. I recently played the game with EvilGoku his patch and saved at every chapter screen. So if you PM me I can send them to you.

Last edited by Dokterfreddy,

Dasutein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I’m going to have to back away from this due to real life stuff, since my job schedule is going back to normal. I won’t have time to be at the helm of this project, and I don’t want to be the one holding it back from progressing. Sorry, I know this isn’t the news people wanted to hear.

As promised, I am providing the assets I worked on, along with relevant notes

Download Geofront’s patch if you want their other localized files from the data_en directory. They’re mostly ready for re-insertion, but there are issues to be aware of, outlined in the Challenges/Issues section below.
Images are 90% complete, and were mostly downsized/edited from Geofront, or merged with Evo's original images. Some could use more refinement, and others may need to be fixed (such as the detective notebook images). GraveViolento edited the title screen image, and I edited the Koro Koro Mishy / Mishy Tilt 'n' Tumble image (mine could be improved though).

• Trails to Azure Collective Improvements Tools
    • I used the ITP converter from here. I recommend using the Python method (make sure Python 3 is installed) within the tool for converting the images. Set the ITP version to v6, which allows for the most color depth. It can also unpack and repack IT3 models. This tool fixed my issue with the Chapter Title images, as well. You might find some of the other provided tools useful too.
    • Remember that all of Geofront’s localized images are PNGs renamed to ITP. They are not true ITP files, so they must be converted to work in Evo.
  • I used this Total Commander plugin for extracting/repacking the PSARC archives.
    • It does not support appending files, so you must repack everything when modifying a PSARC.
    • Files can be rearranged freely between the four PSARC archives, in case you want to have a smaller PSARC with just the modded files for faster testing.
  • As noted before, a script dump of Zero Evo can be found here.
  • The eboot’s text is encoded in UTF-8, while the rest of the game’s files are encoded in Shift-JIS (ms932).
    • The text starts at offset 0x1EE01C in the ver. 1.01 eboot when decrypted into SELF format, which is what should be targeted instead of ver. 1.0.
    • In order to modify the eboot, look here. Notable text within the eboot includes:
      • New Game Quiz
      • Extra Mode text (like in the picture)
        • 2020-07-21-125819.png
      • Battle strings (like KeA’s lines)
      • Most other system text (options, system data notifications, and other universally used strings)
  • You will need to delete these files in the CCLM folders in order to avoid problems with reinserting the individual files. These were used to speed up UMD load times in the PSP version by packing in all the necessary files for a map, but are superfluous on the Vita. Zero Evo still partially relies on them, and will crash when loading certain maps if certain ones are missing.
    • Data.psarc: data\cclm\system\*.bcc
    • Data0.psarc: data\cclm\battle0\*.*
    • Data0.psarc: data\cclm\map4\All BUT.mc1 & .mcc files.
  • Localized map textures are technically possible to repack into the IT3 models (notice how it shows CPD instead of CSPD). When I tried testing this, however, many of the normal textures broke.
    • 2020-07-21-120333.png
    • Evo does not support loading external ITP textures from the IT3 files, so they must be repacked into them. If anything, we can at least use the PC version’s IT3 models without any modifications to get the high-res textures (provided with my download link above).
  • Certain Detective Notebook images (mainly the Arts List) get distorted after being converted to ITP format. I’m unsure what is causing this.
    • capture.png
  • Certain description lines in the ._dt files will have a tabbed space if they are too long, usually when it switches to the alternate font. This mainly affects Art descriptions. Not sure how to fix this aside from maybe rewriting the descriptions to be shorter.
    • 2020-07-18-231019.png
  • Certain ._dt files need to be adjusted for Evo. Most from Geofront are compatible, but others, like the ones for cooking and battle bonuses, only display the first word.
    • A potential fix for this might be to replace the spaces with a comma then a space.
    • Basically, find and replace the “ “ with “, ”. I have not tested this, but it was something I found from when people were working on Zero PSP.
  • Not sure if this applies to Evo, but I saw a hint from JoseJL from a few years ago on the Falcom Discord about the opcodes:
    • “mostly because Falcom usually leaves the text script parser inside the EXE we don't have to guess the opcodes.”
    • Perhaps a disassembly of the eboot could yield this info?

GraveViolento

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch @Dasutein for all your work and progress! With what you provided, it's all the first step in moving this translation in the right direction. Hopefully someone with a bit more free time will be able to pick this project up, as I too am busy with work and can only dedicate a couple hours every night to this.

Reactions: wakabayashy

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also want to thank you for your efforts. As Grave said this is probably the first step towards a conversion being made. One day, maybe.

the database

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the biggest hurdle for Crossbell Evo is figuring out the scena formats and getting them working with EDDecompiler. I did this for the Sky Evo games (https://github.com/the-database/EDDecompiler), but the new op codes for Crossbell Evo seem to be more numerous and complex. I don't expect to have time to work on Crossbell Evo but maybe my previous work will help someone.

Reactions: Rith12 and train108

Buzzeration1

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the game not letting you progress past the prologue end screen? Everything else seems to work fine for me but as soon as i finish the prologue it will just stop pf the end screen and no matter how long i leave it or how many buttons i click it wont progress to let me save or continue

PabloGST

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Hi, just wondering if there’s a current project of bringing the Geofront translation to Vita (hopefully!)? What are the chances of this happening? I guess the same can be asked of the upcoming Ao no Kiseki translation?

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just wondering if there’s a current project of bringing the Geofront translation to Vita (hopefully!)? What are the chances of this happening? I guess the same can be asked of the upcoming Ao no Kiseki translation?

No plans currently, hoping one day some group decides to take this on but for now sadly not. Still crying internally each day...

Reactions: PabloGST

PabloGST

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
No plans currently, hoping one day some group decides to take this on but for now sadly not. Still crying internally each day...
That’s a bummer! Maybe after they finish Ao no Kiseki’s translation, Geofront will set their eyes on helping make it and Zero Vita compatible? We can still dream, right? lol

Since my hopes are dashed, is there a serviceable translation for Ao no Kiseki Evolution on Vita? I played the first two Sky games way back when on PSP, Cold Steel 1 and 2 on Vita, and midway through Cold Steel 3 on Switch. Recently got the english patch for TiTS The 3rd Evolution on Vita, and replaying the patched Evo versions of 1 and 2 on Vita. I have Zero Evo ready to go when I finish The 3rd, but can’t seem to find anything on Ao no Kiseki Evo?

Last edited by PabloGST,

Tiaph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s a bummer! Maybe after they finish Ao no Kiseki’s translation, Geofront will set their eyes on helping make it and Zero Vita compatible? We can still dream, right? lol

Since my hopes are dashed, is there a serviceable translation for Ao no Kiseki Evolution on Vita? I played the first two Sky games way back when on PSP, Cold Steel 1 and 2 on Vita, and midway through Cold Steel 3 on Switch. Recently got the english patch for TiTS The 3rd Evolution on Vita, and replaying the patched Evo versions of 1 and 2 on Vita. I have Zero Evo ready to go when I finish The 3rd, but can’t seem to find anything on Ao no Kiseki Evo?

Ao no Kiseki Evolution does not currently have any English translation patch.

Reactions: PabloGST

rainbowpool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Disappointment Is Immeasurable And My Day Is Ruined...

Thanks for the info!

come on man, dont be like that. imagine me: I got into this series with trails FC on 2013 then there was a huge drama concerning the release of Trails SC with XSEED back in 2015. be glad this game is finally garnering more interest, and people are coming out with official localizations and fan translations (very fast too) ... yeah we don't have Zero EVO and Ao EVO but what we have now... compared to the early days its a HUGE difference

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)