Homebrew [Release] SocketPunch - FBI network CIA installer for Android & PC

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It doesn't have anything to do with your Internet. Anyway, what was your average by the end and your setup?
O3DS 9.0,
Channel: Auto (Current channel 1)
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: Automatic
Max Tx Rate: 150Mbps
WPA2 encryption.

I tested the average speed sending another game and it was was 986kbps (weird considering that it was 1300-1700 everytime)

I honestly didn't change anything more than the buffersize to 256 kbps.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DS 9.0,
WPA2 encryption.

I tested the average speed sending another game and it was was 986kbps (weird considering that it was 1300-1700 everytime)

Yeah, speeds are a bit wonky when it's actually transferring. The average by the end is probably a more reliable number to go by. When I was transfering, it was spiking up to 2.3MB/s and as low as 800KB/s, so I just went into my Network Monitor to get a more accurate estimate.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
O3DS 9.0,
WPA2 encryption.

Even with the buffer size in 128KB, I get an average of 980KB/s consistently with my N3DS. It depends a lot on your local network usage (whether there are many or few connected devices to it). Sometimes a little bit of interference can cause hiccups in the transfer speed. Wireless connections aren't always stable and consistent.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, speeds are a bit wonky when it's actually transferring. The average by the end is probably a more reliable number to go by. When I was transfering, it was spiking up to 2.3MB/s and as low as 800KB/s, so I just went into my Network Monitor to get a more accurate estimate.
I calculated the speed based between each text update, so it gives you an estimate of the actual speed in that moment of the transfer. The "average" speed at the end is the average speed it used through the whole transfer, as redundant as it may sound.

It's also written to the log.txt file, just click the log text box and it will open the log.txt.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I calculated the speed based between each text update, so it gives you an estimate of the actual speed in that moment of the transfer. The "average" speed at the end is the average speed it used through the whole transfer, as redundant as it may sound.
You could probably have it buffer a few frames together for a better average and something more readable, if it's a concern. It's not really a concern to me, just wanted to point that out so people aren't expecting 2MB/s+ average speeds.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You could probably have it buffer a few frames together for a better average and something more readable, if it's a concern. It's not really a concern to me, just wanted to point that out so people aren't expecting 2MB/s+ average speeds.
Thanks for your comments! Actually, I built a v0.3 that I didn't release in which it showed the average speed always (from the start to that point in time), and not the speed perceived in that moment. Do you think it would be better that way? Or maybe showing both speeds?

When the transfer reaches 100%, the "average" speed is actually the calculated speed from start to end (and not the speed that was at the very end), so that one is more accurate when talking about averages, just like the first image you shared with the Azure Striker Gunvolt cia.

By the way, my O3DS yesterday had hiccups from 50KB/s to 200KB/s, in the end the average was shown as 120 KB/s. It took 50 minutes to transfer Kirby: Triple Deluxe (which weights little less than 600MB), so I was really impressed with your image showing Gunvolt transfer in less than four minutes! And it weights more than half Kirby; with my speed, it would have lasted more than 25 min.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments! Actually, I built a v0.3 that I didn't release in which it showed the average speed always (from the start to that point in time), and not the speed perceived in that moment. Do you think it would be better that way? Or maybe showing both speeds?

When the transfer reaches 100%, the "average" speed is actually the calculated speed from start to end (and not the speed that was at the very end), so that one is more accurate when talking about averages, just like the first image you shared with the Azure Striker Gunvolt cia.

By the way, my O3DS yesterday had hiccups from 50KB/s to 200KB/s, in the end the average was shown as 120 KB/s. It took 50 minutes to transfer Kirby: Triple Deluxe (which weights little less than 600MB), so I was really impressed with your image showing Gunvolt transfer in less than four minutes! And it weights more than half Kirby; with my speed, it would have lasted more than 25 min.
Do it however you want it. The only real complaint I'd give it, if I was going to be critical about it, is it's hard to read like that, as it's changing every frame. Maybe have it average over a second and then display that for a second until the next second is averaged? that way people still get a good idea of how it's currently going and can go shut down anything that might be interfering with it. Having it just show the average over the entire session might not give that feedback some users might like.

You could also just have it display both or keep it as is, it's not really that big of a deal to me and I doubt anyone will really complain that much.

Reactions: Olmectron

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do it however you want it. The only real complaint I'd give it, if I was going to be critical about it, is it's hard to read like that, as it's changing every frame. Maybe have it average over a second and then display that for a second until the next second is averaged? that way people still get a good idea of how it's currently going and can go shut down anything that might be interfering with it. Having it just show the average over the entire session might not give that feedback some users might like.

You could also just have it display both or keep it as is, it's not really that big of a deal to me and I doubt anyone will really complain that much.
Okay. Thanks! I think I'll add an option for displaying different speeds depending on user preferences.

Don't worry, I know you're not complaining about it. Just making some critical constructivism! That's always great. :) And thank you for all your suggestions.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Thanks! I think I'll add an option for displaying different speeds depending on user preferences.

Don't worry, I know you're not complaining about it. Just making some critical constructivism! That's always great. :) And thank you for all your suggestions.
No problem. Don't worry too much about it, it's a small detail in an otherwise very user-friendly and useful piece of software. :grog:

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Socket Punch + Super FTbrony II Turbo 2.1 means I'll never have to take out my SD card ever again!

Socket Punch for installing CIa's. FTbrony's new version is now super fast and reliable for sending files to my SD card.

This is SO convenient, that this should be a new standard for all users.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
January 28th, 2016: SocketPunch mod v0.5 released
Standard multiplatform JAR
Native EXE Installer for Windows
  • Minor changes on speed per second math. Thanks to @TecXero for the suggestion. It was a chaos before, it now shows average speed while transferring, and not frame speed.
  • Added ETR math in minutes while transferring.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got around to testing the Windows installer version, it works great but I have one request if possible. All it needs it a desktop shortcut so that I can launch it whenever I need it. I had to go into appdata to find it and make a shortcut myself. Is this normal?

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I got around to testing the Windows installer version, it works great but I have one request if possible. All it needs it a desktop shortcut so that I can launch it whenever I need it. I had to go into appdata to find it and make a shortcut myself. Is this normal?
Right now, yes. But I think I can edit the installer so It creates a shortcut automatically. I'll give It a look.

Thanks for your comment!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what is the buffer is used for?
It's how much data it sends between calls. The bigger the buffer, the less the overhead (though by a very small amount) and the more it would have to resend if something comes up. The current default should be fine, the overhead shouldn't matter much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.