Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, thanks.

Has anyone managed to play any game with the FM chip? I have New3DS and FM chip does not work. Tested with Phantasy Star Japanese version.

I don't think Picodrive for 3DS has FM audio support. If I remember correctly, the Genesis Plus GX Retroarch core is the only way to play Sega Master System games with FM audio support on 3DS.

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PAR codes that begin with "FF" will NOT work on the emulators. If I save a .chx which contain " PAR codes that begin with FF ", the picodrive crashed.
I know it's been years. But this finally bugged me enough today that I forked and fixed it, even with my limited knowledge and skills in this area of programming.

I've included the compiled as part of the repo. Have fun.
Remember that the genesis is big endian so codes that 16 bit and codes that are 8 bit might be flipped in addressing.

My first post here so it won't let me post links. Just look for my name in that "hub" where "git" repos are.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know it's been years. But this finally bugged me enough today that I forked and fixed it, even with my limited knowledge and skills in this area of programming.

Remember that the genesis is big endian so codes that 16 bit and codes that are 8 bit might be flipped in addressing.

My first post here so it won't let me post links. Just look for my name in that "hub" where "git" repos are.
https://github.com/search?q=3ds+picodrive sorry those are alle i can find...

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

https://github.com/sleepingkirby/emus3ds

Here it is.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
can someone summarize what advantages those have over bubble's good ol versions?
Something an user would notice, not like, super technical stuff.

So far the fact they allow more cheat codes; that's it.

Honesty with save states most games don't need cheat codes at all but whatever.

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone summarize what advantages those have over bubble's good ol versions?
Something an user would notice, not like, super technical stuff.
Not much. Bubble2k, on v.94, implemented cheats. The game genie codes work fine (they look like this ex. ABCD-EFGH), but any Pro Action Replay codes (they look like this FFABCD:0001) that start with "FF" crashes the system. I fixed that. That and finishing his implementation for codes like this "FFABCD:01" to work are literally the only differences.

If you don't feel like you've been missing anything skip it or if you're like "Eh, can't be bothered." Skip it. That's what I did for like a year. If, one day, you apply a cheat file to your game and the emulator crashes and you REALLY want that cheat code, come back and try this version.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
.chx project? Tell me more. I've been thinking about posting all the PAR codes I've made over the years.
Nothing special, I am just grabbing all the cheat codes I can get my hands on for all the games released in the west and put them in .chx files. For Bubble2k SNES9x that is almost done... but I stopped halfway through the cheats for the Picodrive when I realized that the cheat codes would just crash the system... but now I feel the need to finish what I started. Thanks man! I f you have cheat codes you are willing to share, I would love to put them in my collection!

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing special, I am just grabbing all the cheat codes I can get my hands on for all the games released in the west and put them in .chx files. For Bubble2k SNES9x that is almost done... but I stopped halfway through the cheats for the Picodrive when I realized that the cheat codes would just crash the system... but now I feel the need to finish what I started. Thanks man! I f you have cheat codes you are willing to share, I would love to put them in my collection!
Honestly, I've lost a fair amount over the years. But here are the ones I fixed the emulator for.

No doubt people over the years have found some of the same codes. But more redundancy, the better, I feel. Since programming is my hobby and my job, they'll describe what the address (and values) are instead saying things like "unlimited hp" or something similar (well, maybe the older cheats will.).

I'll see if I can dig up some of my snes ones later. I know Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz needs to be cleaned up a bit before other people can make heads or tails of it, along with Rockman and Forte.

Attachments

• gen_cheat_chx.zip
    2 KB · Views: 81

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Honestly, I've lost a fair amount over the years. But here are the ones I fixed the emulator for.

No doubt people over the years have found some of the same codes. But more redundancy, the better, I feel. Since programming is my hobby and my job, they'll describe what the address (and values) are instead saying things like "unlimited hp" or something similar (well, maybe the older cheats will.).

I'll see if I can dig up some of my snes ones later. I know Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz needs to be cleaned up a bit before other people can make heads or tails of it, along with Rockman and Forte.
Sweet, thank you!

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish the emulators for the HD 3DS and 2DS got updated as those consoles have more powerful hardware.
Do you mean the "new" line? Like "new 3ds" or "new 2ds"? Because, if so, Bubbles did:

./3ds/3dsmain.cpp:737: osSetSpeedupEnable(1); // Performance: use the higher clock speed for new 3DS.
./cores/picodrive/pico/sound/sound.c:499: // Low pass filter for New 3DS (44 KHz)
./cores/picodrive/3ds/3dsimpl.cpp:688: // compute a sample rate closes to 30000 kHz for old 3DS, and 44100 Khz for new 3DS.
./cores/picodrive/3ds/3dsimpl.cpp:1330: // compute a sample rate closes to 30000 kHz for old 3DS, and 44100 Khz for new 3DS.

What this says is that Bubbles made the emulator run faster on all his emulators. On picodrive, he increased the sound quality.

Also, I believe psx and/or n64 emulator (can't remember which) runs on the new line (which I don't have).

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do you mean the "new" line? Like "new 3ds" or "new 2ds"? Because, if so, Bubbles did:

./3ds/3dsmain.cpp:737: osSetSpeedupEnable(1); // Performance: use the higher clock speed for new 3DS.
./cores/picodrive/pico/sound/sound.c:499: // Low pass filter for New 3DS (44 KHz)
./cores/picodrive/3ds/3dsimpl.cpp:688: // compute a sample rate closes to 30000 kHz for old 3DS, and 44100 Khz for new 3DS.
./cores/picodrive/3ds/3dsimpl.cpp:1330: // compute a sample rate closes to 30000 kHz for old 3DS, and 44100 Khz for new 3DS.

What this says is that Bubbles made the emulator run faster on all his emulators. On picodrive, he increased the sound quality.

Also, I believe psx and/or n64 emulator (can't remember which) runs on the new line (which I don't have).

There used to be emulators specifically made to take advantage of the New 2DS/3DS more powerful hardware but they haven't updated in ages.

Reactions: sleepingkirby

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do you really need to take advantage of the better hardware on consoles that already run perfectly on O3DS?
what's the prupose in that? saving battery, maybe? being able to apply filters or some other stuff that would make O3DS struggle since it can barely deal with the emulation alone?

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you really need to take advantage of the better hardware on consoles that already run perfectly on O3DS?
what's the prupose in that? saving battery, maybe? being able to apply filters or some other stuff that would make O3DS struggle since it can barely deal with the emulation alone?
Maybe emulating some of the more exotic and demanding extra game chips for a greater game compatibility?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.