ROM Hack [Release] Metroid Samus Returns Save Editor

rog9001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
hi i tried all version and its letting me save the changes to the amiibo settings but not actual health or bomb settings. the save option is grey

Did you open the save file? Cuz you need to open the "Save file" not the "Amiibo file" to edit bombs and other stuff

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Watch the video. Even tho its a bit out-dated its still helpful

aznight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i have tried both options. the only option that allows me to save is the amiibo editor.

ive tried all versions too. Maybe im not far enough in the game yet? lol

rog9001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes i have tried both options. the only option that allows me to save is the amiibo editor.

ive tried all versions too. Maybe im not far enough in the game yet? lol

What do you mean only the amiibo file saves? All you do is open MSRSE open the save file, under "File", type the amount of MAX hp, missiles, bomb, etc. you want click the buttons next to each text box, might as well as click replenish after editing the max, look at the right column, above which is the label "Saves current statistics", and see if everything changed, if it did then its good to use and you will have e.g. Max HP: 9'999, Missiles: 500'000, etc. There is no save button for the "Save file editor", its only for the "amiibo file editor"

Last edited by rog9001,

aznight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean only the amiibo file saves? All you do is open MSRSE open the save file, under "File", type the amount of MAX hp, missiles, bomb, etc. you want click the buttons next to each text box, might as well as click replenish after editing the max, look at the right column, above which is the label "Saves current statistics", and see if everything changed, if it did then its good to use and you will have e.g. Max HP: 9'999, Missiles: 500'000, etc. There is no save button for the "Save file editor", its only for the "amiibo file editor"

I was clicking replenish instead of clicking max health... i did not know that was a button lmao

aznight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anyways, thank you so much for coding this!!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I have such a reader and have some spare Powertags. So it will cost you like €5,- (excluding shipping).
Okay, but that's something different entirely. I can just use TagMo and some NTAG215 chips to make my own amiibo. The point I was making is that Nintendo is now making games expecting you to also buy game-specific amiibo to play the full game that you already paid for. It's way worse than DLC.

Reactions: BvanBart

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, but that's something different entirely. I can just use TagMo and some NTAG215 chips to make my own amiibo. The point I was making is that Nintendo is now making games expecting you to also buy game-specific amiibo to play the full game that you already paid for. It's way worse than DLC.

Misunderstood you there completely! It is indeed ridiculous that they hide game content behind an object that is very hard to get.

Magnus Hydra

It’s rare for me to be here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the change log and the notes for version Z, i put 'em there for a reason. Sorry for the late reply.
That would help lol. no worries. Injection to save are always fun. Know of anyone that has made a save file at the start with everything unlocked?

Khaos-Void

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would help lol. no worries. Injection to save are always fun. Know of anyone that has made a save file at the start with everything unlocked?

I'm currently working on my own version of a save editor. On my [POST=7662238]discussion thread[/POST], I've been documenting all of the different blocks and chunks of data that I can identify. In my tests, I've found that the game doesn't care where the blocks/chunks are located, as the game is just walking through the byte stream looking for matching data. For my new game, all items test, I added item chunk entries as well as the baby metroid entry to the inventory block. Worked just fine. I've also found that I can add those entries, but give them a value of zero. With this, I plan to have templated blank saves so that you can create a new save and be able to tweak everything you want; not have to acquire the item first just so the entry is made to the inventory block.

Just a few hours ago, I've been able to fully parse the common.bmssv file. With this I'll soon be working on the other direction and will be implementing save functionality.

I plan on trying to identify as much of the information as I can. I've already got a few guesses as to how the item completion percentage as well as the metroid kill counter are calculated. The values in the inventory block do indeed affect the game, however, with the expansions, the item percentage is not updated. I believe this is a combination of the values in the Items Collected block (D97207D2) as well as their respective chunk entries in the Misc Data block (C72341EA).

EDIT: I've attached an example save. This is a new game file with the Gravity Suit and the Baby Metroid enabled. I've also attached a new game '100%' save. This has all of the items/expansions, but as I mentioned before, it will not reflect the correct percentage.

Attachments

• profile0-modded.7z
    1 KB · Views: 178
  • profile0-newGame-100.7z
    1.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by Khaos-Void,
Reactions: Magnus Hydra

rog9001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I wouldn't mind making a injection system for this editor but, I forgot how I coded this so I will, more then likely, have to rewrite the editor from scratch :P

I'm currently working on my own version of a save editor. On my [POST=7662238]discussion thread[/POST], I've been documenting all of the different blocks and chunks of data that I can identify. In my tests, I've found that the game doesn't care where the blocks/chunks are located, as the game is just walking through the byte stream looking for matching data. For my new game, all items test, I added item chunk entries as well as the baby metroid entry to the inventory block. Worked just fine. I've also found that I can add those entries, but give them a value of zero. With this, I plan to have templated blank saves so that you can create a new save and be able to tweak everything you want; not have to acquire the item first just so the entry is made to the inventory block.

Just a few hours ago, I've been able to fully parse the common.bmssv file. With this I'll soon be working on the other direction and will be implementing save functionality.

I plan on trying to identify as much of the information as I can. I've already got a few guesses as to how the item completion percentage as well as the metroid kill counter are calculated. The values in the inventory block do indeed affect the game, however, with the expansions, the item percentage is not updated. I believe this is a combination of the values in the Items Collected block (D97207D2) as well as their respective chunk entries in the Misc Data block (C72341EA).

EDIT: I've attached an example save. This is a new game file with the Gravity Suit and the Baby Metroid enabled. I've also attached a new game '100%' save. This has all of the items/expansions, but as I mentioned before, it will not reflect the correct percentage.

What is the point of making a 3rd save editor for this game? I think 2 are enough.

Khaos-Void

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the point of making a 3rd save editor for this game? I think 2 are enough.

Maybe because the 'point' of my save editor is to be a complete editor. The two currently released really aren't fully featured. Correct me if I'm wrong, but MSRAU only edits the data in pkprlf.bmssv. Your's wont work past the 4 initial item entries added on a new game.

What's the point of having the 'Unlock Powerups' when you have to actually get the item for it to be 'unlocked'?

Besides:
Did you read my reply? I am thinking of closing this thread and that's it. This is really time consuming and I really don't fancy having 20 windows open on my computer cuz I lose track of whats what and sometimes just ask myself the simple question "wtf was I doing?" (when I am asking this I just see my 5 instances of calculator and 3 instances of HxD).
Released final version, version Z :)

Enjoy everyone!
I read that as development stopped. But hey, we're free to do what we enjoy, right? If you do decide to start developing again, I would recommend you try to organize your code. Classes, structs, and enums are your friend ;)

Good luck!

Reactions: Magnus Hydra

RedRose30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone mind telling me how to get my save to the PC? I tried JK save manager 8 times, and it kept on yellow screening...which is weird because Ultra Moon works just fine.

Does it work for Metroid too? Am I just getting bad luck?

RedRose30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone answer my question please? I use the save manager through homebrew. All I want to do is back up my save, but it won't let me :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol