Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, if you put the code on GitHub now, we could actually help it get to 1.0, because we can use pull requests on it to add the different features. All the pull requests can be pulled up on one screen, where it'll show the changes, then you can easily accept them and sync the PR to your PC.
I know. But I want to work on the features I am most interested in and will then release for others to add more features if desired.

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. But I want to work on the features I am most interested in and will then release for others to add more features if desired.
I mean that we could start adding in the different features in your todo list, like icon moving, music and sound, favorites, proper implementation of folder scanning, etc.
EDIT: And we'd be able to improve existing features. Example: Some load times could be sped up with our help.
EDIT 2: And GitHub also really helps with figuring out what was done with each update, especially because I always forget to keep track of that for my own project. :P

Last edited by bunny365,

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
So, what else do you have in mind? I know you wanted sound, dsp is already implemented in the great-refactor branch of ctrulib, but be careful since that branch may screww HB loading fro HBL.

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what else do you have in mind? I know you wanted sound, dsp is already implemented in the great-refactor branch of ctrulib, but be careful since that branch may screww HB loading fro HBL.
Don't worry. We're already stealing their resources. I'm sure they won't mind if we just make them mute. :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And also, if you publish the code to GitHub, you can work on the big things while we work on SEVERAL of the smaller things, including bug fixes. After you commit (post) the big thing you did, you can check the PRs and accept the ones that you like / are useful / etc., which makes it sync the PR onto the source code, then you use the pull command on your PC to merge the changes from the PRs onto your PC, then compile and distribute.
What's also nice about pull requests (or even just commits in general) is that they don't simply say "replace this file with this," but instead say "place or remove text between the two lines containing this code." When checking PRs, if you made a big commit before a PR where a lot of things were rearranged, GitHub will try to figure out where the changes from the PR should go in your code. If it can't figure it out, it will prevent you from merging it. At that point, I believe the person who posted the PR would have to revise the PR.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@mashers I tried to put some wallpaper on my SD card for using here but it doesn't seem to be working. Just no images showing up, the set background color appearing instead. They're definitely called wallpapertop.png and wallpaperbottom.png, are located in the root and have no alpha channel. I'm definitely running beta 30. The images are as follows:

SMPuyCf.png

QYh38UM.png

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe you could write any errors out to a log file on the SD card?

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I'd like to add music and sound effects, but I probably won't bother until after NH2.5 is out, and will release the source code before then. My full todo list now contains:
  1. Finish the UI
    • Help pages need to be finished
    • Information pages need tidying up, i.e. improve the appearance of the buttons and the bottom screen on the help and reboot pages
    • Improve the appearance of the colour sliders
    • Sort out text appearance on wallpapers
  2. Remove the requirement for .hbfolder on folders
    • Add a folder section to the settings in which folders can be selected
    • Selected folders get saved into a config file
  3. Background music
  4. UI sound effects
  5. Full d-pad control for the main menu
  6. Preserve cursor position when page scrolling
  7. Open directly into the title launcher

Of these, only the first one is of significant interest to me. I want the UI and accompanying functionality to be completely done before I release the source. The second feature (removing .hbfolder extension requirement) would be nice, but I'm not too bothered since once the extensions have been added you don't have to think about it. The remaining features will be added over time but won't hold back a source code release.

So to summarise, I will be working on those four points to finish the UI, and then I will release the source code.

@mashers I tried to put some wallpaper on my SD card for using here but it doesn't seem to be working. Just no images showing up, the set background color appearing instead. They're definitely called wallpapertop.png and wallpaperbottom.png, are located in the root and have no alpha channel. I'm definitely running beta 30. The images are as follows:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe you could write any errors out to a log file on the SD card?​
Actually it does :) Open up log.txt from your SD card. It only logs the last error currently, but you will probably see the PNG error there if there is one.

I've just attached a little update in beta 31:
  • The water enabled setting wasn't being saved - fixed!
  • Added a check to make sure the background wallpapers are the correct size
  • Adds an option in settings for a translucent UI. Currently this only affects the icon backgrounds and borders, but it makes the bottom screen look much better when using a custom wallpaper

Edit -
The settings icons for toggling the water and UI translucency are currently duplicates of other icons. I know about this and will include proper icons in the next release.

Last edited by mashers,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Well played, @mashers. Checking the log.txt, I see the following error:

[process_file] color_type of input file must be PNG_COLOR_TYPE_RGB
However, when opening the images up in GIMP, it does report that they're RGB.

I was able to get it working by copying the images out of GIMP and pasting them into MS Paint and saving them there. Opening the images in Paint and re-saving them that way didn't solve the issue, it was indeed necessary to copy the images to the clipboard and paste them into Paint. Regardless, I assume this is some kind of fault in libpng rather than anything on your end. Thanks for the help!

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@mashers wallpapers working fine for me but one little request can we have a option to remove the text from the top screen that says the homebrew launcher please.

I suppose theres a solution for that, if the code can be put in a way where certain things on the screen can be adjusted/edited/moved via text file, sort of like how HTML works, this way you can add to the text file what you want to hide and what you want shown. Just food for thought.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@mashers Has something gone wrong with the way the "empty" app icons are displayed in betas 30 and 31? I'm seeing some odd behavior on my end with these builds:

sn9qGw8.png

Don't mind the clashing colors. :V In some cases (both of my single-page folders) I see this behavior, where the first empty field is missed. In my main, 3-page 3ds folder, no empty fields display at all, as if I have the option turned off. The Settings and Title Launcher modes also display no empty fields, but this may be intentional for all I know.

Reactions: JJTapia19

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@mashers Has something gone wrong with the way the "empty" app icons are displayed in betas 30 and 31? I'm seeing some odd behavior on my end with these builds:

sn9qGw8.png

Don't mind the clashing colors. :V In some cases (both of my single-page folders) I see this behavior, where the first empty field is missed. In my main, 3-page 3ds folder, no empty fields display at all, as if I have the option turned off. The Settings and Title Launcher modes also display no empty fields, but this may be intentional for all I know.
Hmm very strange not getting the same problems as you so no idea what is going wrong for you

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
The single empty field issue goes away if I enable the region free loader icon (is the hidden icon no longer being accounted for?), but I still see the issue of blank icons not appearing at all in the main folder/settings/title launcher.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well played, @mashers. Checking the log.txt, I see the following error:

However, when opening the images up in GIMP, it does report that they're RGB.

I was able to get it working by copying the images out of GIMP and pasting them into MS Paint and saving them there. Opening the images in Paint and re-saving them that way didn't solve the issue, it was indeed necessary to copy the images to the clipboard and paste them into Paint. Regardless, I assume this is some kind of fault in libpng rather than anything on your end. Thanks for the help!
The problem isn't that they were not RGB, it is that they were RGBA. This means they had been saved with the alpha channel. I was considering getting it to support images with the alpha channel (basically by skipping that byte when processing the pixel data extracted through libPNG), but I thought that could have some unexpected results if images look different with the alpha data stripped out. So I thought it best to leave it compatible only with RGB PNGs with no alpha channel. I will at some point make the image loading errors display on-screen instead of the log file so it's easier to diagnose these issues.

@mashers wallpapers working fine for me but one little request can we have a option to remove the text from the top screen that says the homebrew launcher please.
Good idea. I've added that to the todo list. Should be an easy feature to add since the config code is all modular.

Actually yes I did change the code which draws these, as previously it drew all of them for the whole grid, and duplicated them for the spaces with icons on them. Looks like the problem occurs if the last one to be drawn is the first one in the row, since it doesn't do this if there is an app icon on the row. I'll have a look at the code for that again.

Hmm very strange not getting the same problems as you so no idea what is going wrong for you
Ahhh, I need to draw an extra background if the region free loader isn't showing. That should sort it. Thanks! :)

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check log.txt and post the error.
it says:
Code:
I am for certain I have named them correctly and they are PNG. They don't have any alpha/transparency value and I even saved them with MSPaint to make sure there wasn't any kind of transparency. Would you like me to upload them?

Last edited by link6155,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
it says:
Code:
I am for certain I have named them correctly and they are PNG. They don't have any alpha/transparency value and I even saved them with MSPaint to make sure there wasn't any kind of transparency. Would you like me to upload them?
By all means upload the image. But that error means that the image has an alpha channel, or is not RGB. (or at least, it means that's what libPNG *thinks* it is...)

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On the top screen the app title has the same colour of the top bar.

I tryed some colour configurations on basic bacgrounds and I find that it will be better if one can select different colours for this two items, or the title will not be readable on the background.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
On the top screen the app title has the same colour of the top bar.

I tryed some colour configurations on basic bacgrounds and I find that it will be better if one can select different colours for this two items, or the title will not be readable on the background.
Good idea. It was set to the same as the bar colour because in the original concept mockup they were the same shade of blue. I've added a note to the todo list to make the headings have a separate colour which is independently configurable.

robot56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The netloader screen doesn't seem to render correctly when a file is being transfered, in case you're not already aware.

The text never gets cleared, and instead text appears to get drawn on top of existing text.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1