Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Svdt let's you choose an application you want to change savedata from. Just download svdt and try it out.
Ok thanks. I'll try it.

I just tried this on my O3DS, works beautifully. Great job!
One question though, is it possible to remap the 'Exit' button to Home instead of Start? It's an extremely minor complaint I had with Smea's HBL and I was wondering if changing it was a possibility.
I can't see any way for ctrulib to capture a press of the home button, which is probably why the original HBL used start. If an update to ctrulib allowed detection of the home button then I would definitely change to that instead of start.

Great work! Now I don't need 2 minutes to select the latest homebrew on my list ! :D
I found a bug btw : If I disable both the region free launcher and the third row of icons, while sorting the apps alphabetically, the region free launcher is still here, and I can't open it. The app below is not selectable with the buttons, but I can launch it with the touchscreen. Not a big problem (changing any settings makes the launcher go back to normal) but I wanted to share it anyway.
(My system is an N3DS on 9.9.0-26E)
Hm, I can't reproduce that. I've got mine set up the same way, with the third row of icons and region free launcher disabled but sorting alphabetically. Can you detail exactly what I need to do to reproduce the problem?

Reactions: Margen67

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you explain this in more detail please? I don't understand what you mean.

Ahh yes, that's happening here for me too. It was working so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll look into it - thanks! For now it does work at least using the DPad.

The question marks are for HB apps without their own icon. They're only there because I put a load of 3dsx files on my SD to test scrolling. You won't see them unless you have apps without icons.

Thank you! :)

Yes I will absolutely be publishing the source code as soon as I figure out how to do it properly on GitHub.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, not sure. I'll look into how to create a CIA file. However, I won't be able to test it as I can't run CIAs.

For real, if you make this a CIA and it runs homebrew you'll be a hero to the whole community. I've been waiting for that. I'm sure others have been as well. No more Cubic Ninja after initial setup.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For real, if you make this a CIA and it runs homebrew you'll be a hero to the whole community. I've been waiting for that. I'm sure others have been as well. No more Cubic Ninja after initial setup.
If someone can point me in the direction of how to build a CIA then I'll do it.

Trying to download the file, but it doesn't work.
Can you be more specific?

D

Deleted User

If someone can point me in the direction of how to build a CIA then I'll do it.

Can you be more specific?
Now it's working. I opened this page yesterday and didn't refresh it. When i clicked the link now it said "The requested file could not be found.", but when i refreshed now it worked.

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can provide the .elf file if it would enable somebody to build a CIA. I do not have access to the necessary tools.
I could try to make a complete cia (with 3d banner and stuff)

but I don't think I'll be able to test it, my cfw 3ds is currently dead since the charging port is broken

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi everyone

This homebrew launcher, based on the original by @smealum, has the following features:
  • Grid layout with paging, touch/d-pad controls
  • Built-in settings to change options without editing config files
    • Optionally hide the region free loader
    • Optionally sort alphabetically
    • Display in two or three rows
  • Help page with contact details
Screenshots of current progress:
View attachment 25433
View attachment 25434

The attached file, HBL-Grid.zip, is a beta version. Everything should be working, but this version is simply uploaded so people can try it while I put the finishing touches to the final version. If there are issues, bugs, or if you have ideas for improvements, please post them in this thread. Outstanding tasks include:
  • Change the font
  • Improve the appearance of the top screen, which is still very sparse
  • Add an option for 12/24 hour clock
  • Add the date to the status bar

Following this, source code will be released as soon as I figure out how to upload it to GitHub.

Finally, the following additional features will be added in further updates in the future:
  • Customisable background wallpaper for top and bottom screens
  • Customisable colour scheme
  • Customisable background music
  • Sound effects
  • Folders

I have tested this under NH2.0 and IH on a 9.9 UK New 3DS. I have no other hardware to test it on, so I would be really grateful if people could try this and post the following information only if it DOESN'T work:

3DS version
3DS region
FW version
HB entrypoint used

To use the launcher, unzip it and either drop the .3dsx file into the /3ds/ folder on your SD card and open it from another launcher, or rename it to boot.3dsx and put it into the root directory of your SD card to use it as your default launcher.

Please post feedback, suggestions or feature requests here! :)
Great work! Here are my requests:
  • Make icon border thinner or/and increase the size by a bit (http://i.imgur.com/jO0HEZm.jpg)
  • Fix the Target title selector issue (see svdt)
  • Favorites menu
  • Custom icon sorting
  • Remember the last launched homebrew
I'm on NA O3DS 9.9 - Ironhax

Last edited by FEAR_1337,
D

Deleted User

I could try to make a complete cia (with 3d banner and stuff)

but I don't think I'll be able to test it, my cfw 3ds is currently dead since the charging port is broken
I have both an N3DS on 9.0 and an O3DS on 4.5. I'd be able to test.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Great work! Here are my requests:
  • Make icon border thinner or/and increase the size by a bit (http://i.imgur.com/jO0HEZm.jpg)
  • Fix the Target title selector issue (see svdt)
  • Favorites menu
  • Custom icon sorting
  • Remember the last launched homebrew
I'm on NA O3DS 9.9 - Ironhax
Thanks for your suggestions! I've added remembering the last known HB and fixing the target title selector to the to-do list, and the favourites menu to the 'possibles' list. Making the icon border thinner and sorting out the overlapping corners is on my radar for improving the appearance. What do you mean by custom icon sorting?

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for your suggestions! I've added remembering the last known HB and fixing the target title selector to the to-do list, and the favourites menu to the 'possibles' list. Making the icon border thinner and sorting out the overlapping corners is on my radar for improving the appearance. What do you mean by custom icon sorting?
Sorry, I was talking about sorting homebrews the way we want, organize them.

Reactions: Margen67 and SLiV3R

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with that is how to store the layout. Allowing the user to drag the icons around would be quite straightforward, but you need to store the current position of every app. That means either having some kind of database which pairs the path to the 3dsx file to a coordinate position on the grid, or putting a file in the same folder as the 3dsx which contains its position. The problem with the former is what happens if the app moves to a different folder? It will no longer match to its coordinates in the database, so how will the launcher know where to put it? The problem with the latter is that if you have more than one 3dsx in a folder then the coordinates of one will overwrite the other.

It's a minefield I don't really want to get in to if I'm honest. Once the source code is up on GitHub then someone else will be able to look into it if they want to take it on.

Reactions: Margen67 and SLiV3R

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that is how to store the layout. Allowing the user to drag the icons around would be quite straightforward, but you need to store the current position of every app. That means either having some kind of database which pairs the path to the 3dsx file to a coordinate position on the grid, or putting a file in the same folder as the 3dsx which contains its position. The problem with the former is what happens if the app moves to a different folder? It will no longer match to its coordinates in the database, so how will the launcher know where to put it? The problem with the latter is that if you have more than one 3dsx in a folder then the coordinates of one will overwrite the other.

It's a minefield I don't really want to get in to if I'm honest. Once the source code is up on GitHub then someone else will be able to look into it if they want to take it on.
You could go like the 3DS HOME Menu and have each app keep a fixed position, if custom organization is "on". So if an app disappears, simply don't show anything there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)