Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Emergency Launcher

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The readme file is broken. At least it was for me.

It was called README.rd

I changed the file to .txt in order to read it

The file isn't broken, this is a Markdown file (.md, not .rd). Markdown is a markup language, like HTML, so it means that using special annotations to the text some readers (like GitHub) can interpret those annotations and format the text.

The advantage of Markdown is that you can read the file even if the file is not interpreted. Going to the repository in GitHub you can see how the file should be shown by a Markdown-aware header: https://github.com/m45t3r/HBL-Emergency

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, trying to compile from source (just for fun), keep getting errors while make:
http://imgur.com/MOhs72q

I never tried to compile on Windows so I don't know what is happening here. I will install devkitPro on Windows and see if I can find the problem.

Edit: did you use Git to clone the code or only downloaded the source from GitHub? You need to download the sources from inih too and put in directory sources/inih. If you're using Git you need to download submodules, using:

$ git submodules init --recursive --update

Edit 2: download the source again, just pushed a commit that should fix builds in Windows (you still need to download inih and put in sources/inih though).

Edit 3: it was really my mistake, sorry (it seems devkitPro does not try to interpret symlinks on Windows). Commit a949216 should fix the issue.

Last edited by m45t3r,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The file isn't broken, this is a Markdown file (.md, not .rd). Markdown is a markup language, like HTML, so it means that using special annotations to the text some readers (like GitHub) can interpret those annotations and format the text.

The advantage of Markdown is that you can read the file even if the file is not interpreted. Going to the repository in GitHub you can see how the file should be shown by a Markdown-aware header: https://github.com/m45t3r/HBL-Emergency
Oh. Seems like you are teaching me something new every day. lol.

I just know that I couldn't figure out how to use it until I read the README

Also, for some reason when I launch the secondary launcher it causes sound issues on some Homebrew (like PHBank).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bug found maybe?

N3DS on version 10.1.0-27u

Using emergency launcher with themehax to default launch Mashers Grid Launcher and emergency boot Smealums Homebrew launcher.

When launching a Homebrew, like PcHex and PHBank, using the 'emergency launcher' there is a high pitched beep at the debug screen and then garbled garbage sound in the Homebrew itself.

It happens on the emergency launcher only and I have tested this by swapping default and emergency launchers around.

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh. Seems like you are teaching me something new every day. lol.

I just know that I couldn't figure out how to use it until I read the README

Also, for some reason when I launch the secondary launcher it causes sound issues on some Homebrew (like PHBank).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bug found maybe?

N3DS on version 10.1.0-27u

Using emergency launcher with themehax to default launch Mashers Grid Launcher and emergency boot Smealums Homebrew launcher.

When launching a Homebrew, like PcHex and PHBank, using the 'emergency launcher' there is a high pitched beep at the debug screen and then garbled garbage sound in the Homebrew itself.

It happens on the emergency launcher only and I have tested this by swapping default and emergency launchers around.
I don't use any of those homebrews and I can't make PHBank works (however, didn't had any problems with PCHex at least). I think this is a problem specific for N3DS, however I don't have one to test. The only thing that I can think is commit f12a8a63, or maybe increasing the delay.

Let's try both, In the attached build I reverted commit f12a863 and compiled a new version, and I increased the delay for 250 ms. If it fixes it I can try to build a new version with one fix or another one. If neither of those works I don't know what it may be.

*: this may be a bug even of HBL itself. If you can try to load HBL from HBL (just copy your boot_1.3dsx or whatever is the HBL binary to the folder /3ds/ and boot from there), and after that loads PcHex/PHBank and have exactly the same issue, this is probably a bug in Ninjhax loading source, since HBL-emergency use exactly the same code with only a small change. Please try this too and report the results to me.

Attachments

• HBL-Emergency.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 214

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use any of those homebrews and I can't make PHBank works (however, didn't had any problems with PCHex at least). I think this is a problem specific for N3DS, however I don't have one to test. The only thing that I can think is commit f12a8a63, or maybe increasing the delay.

Let's try both, In the attached build I reverted commit f12a863 and compiled a new version, and I increased the delay for 250 ms. If it fixes it I can try to build a new version with one fix or another one. If neither of those works I don't know what it may be.

*: this may be a bug even of HBL itself. If you can try to load HBL from HBL (just copy your boot_1.3dsx or whatever is the HBL binary to the folder /3ds/ and boot from there), and after that loads PcHex/PHBank and have exactly the same issue, this is probably a bug in Ninjhax loading source, since HBL-emergency use exactly the same code with only a small change. Please try this too and report the results to me.
I tried this 'new' version and it seems to have fixed the weird sound issue. How would I go about changing the boot time to see if that affects it any?

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried this 'new' version and it seems to have fixed the weird sound issue. How would I go about changing the boot time to see if that affects it any?

Wow, didn't think it would fix. Ok, so now it could be the reverted commit, the new delay or both...

Let's try to revert the delay to 100 first since it is easier to do. Please try the attached boot_config.ini file below, extract it to the root of your SD card and substitute the old file.

If this works I will revert the delay to the old one, and compile a new version.

Attachments

• boot_config.zip
    747 bytes · Views: 177

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, didn't think it would fix. Ok, so now it could be the reverted commit, the new delay or both...

Let's try to revert the delay to 100 first since it is easier to do. Please try the attached boot_config.ini file below, extract it to the root of your SD card and substitute the old file.

If this works I will revert the delay to the old one, and compile a new version.
So I looked at the configure file and figured out how to change the delay myself. Just looked at the two files side by side and played Spot-The-Difference.

Anyways it's not making the sound with delay at 100.

Still not sure what the delay is but the sound is gone.

Going to try the old emergency boot just to make sure.
-------------
Tried the old emergency boot and did not have the same sound issue.
But looking at the configure file for the two releases there is a big difference.
------------

I can't replicate the issue I was having before at all now

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So I looked at the configure file and figured out how to change the delay myself. Just looked at the two files side by side and played Spot-The-Difference.

Anyways it's not making the sound with delay at 100.

Still not sure what the delay is but the sound is gone.

Going to try the old emergency boot just to make sure.
-------------
Tried the old emergency boot and did not have the same sound issue.
But looking at the configure file for the two releases there is a big difference.
------------

I can't replicate the issue I was having before at all now

Well, strange. Anyway, I will keep the reverted commit since it shouldn't change too much (only 2KB more of final binary size).

The attached version should be the v0.3 final, unless someone finds another bug.

Edit: the delay, anyway, is something that helps some homebrews (mainly CFWs) to boot with improved rate chance. This is actually a problem with themehax, some kind of timing problem when something happens to fast it does not work. So leaving the program wait some time improve the boot rate chance, and this is exactly what delay does.

Attachments

• HBL-Emergency.zip
    53.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by m45t3r,

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@m45t3r Thanks just tried and now i can compile on windows just fine, however i'll not be able to try it on my n3ds for a few days, so i will test and report later.
On a side note, you can use the git clone --recursive command and it will download and place in the right path all the submodules too.

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Since there is no new bug report, I decided to make a new release. Welcome to version v0.3!

Only change between the last version is a fix that I pulled from smealum repository. Not more. Anyway, I tested this version for more than 3 days and it is working beatiful, very stable too.

Attachments

• HBL-Emergency.zip
    53.5 KB · Views: 188

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Since there is no new bug report, I decided to make a new release. Welcome to version v0.3!

Only change between the last version is a fix that I pulled from smealum repository. Not more. Anyway, I tested this version for more than 3 days and it is working beatiful, very stable too.
Yeah, no bug report, because is working "biutiful"! :lol: Thanks!

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well well, if you want to be a competent professional here in Brazil you need to at least know English nowadays. I don't know any other language, though.
Well at first I read your name as @mashers. Then realized it was @m45t3r.

Was gonna ask if coding was your first language because everyone seems to be able to read it easily.

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Well at first I read your name as @mashers. Then realized it was @m45t3r.

Was gonna ask if coding was your first language because everyone seems to be able to read it easily.

Well, I am a graduated student in Computer Science and nowadays I am finishing my Master's degree in the same area, so yeah, you can say that programming is like a third language for me or something like this ;P.

Not that I am a very experienced programmer anyway, my main programming language is Python. I live a love/hate situation with C language, considering how arcaic this language is, however it is still relevant so you need to know anyway.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I am a graduated student in Computer Science and nowadays I am finishing my Master's degree in the same area, so yeah, you can say that programming is like a third language for me or something like this ;P.

Not that I am a very experienced programmer anyway, my main programming language is Python. I live a love/hate situation with C language, considering how arcaic this language is, however it is still relevant so you need to know anyway.
I used to be able to make a website, sort of... I was self taught out of a book. But that was 5 years ago and I haven't been able to practice so needless to say I've forgotten most of it.

I can sorta figure out 'some' things but for the most part I can only test things out and let people know if they work or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?