Homebrew [Release] Handy 3DS - Atari Lynx Emulator

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@rushfan2112 is probably running emulators for the DS system on the 3ds, and I don't think the DS has enough power to run a Lynx emulator (DS code on the 3ds don't use the full 3ds power).

The CIA version of the this emulator is not stabe, mostly because it was one of first work of mine and was compiled with a very old version of ctruLib that could not be fully compatible with latest 3ds FW.

I'd like to start the port from scratch making some optimization on the code (now I'm coding for the lynx, so I have a better knowledge of the system) but don't have free time because I'm working on too many projects for the Retroguru team.

Maybe in the future ...

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed handy and it works, I have every lynx game plus some Homebrew, only thing is, handy only shows like 10 or so games lol I have over a hundred in the ROMs folder. They all have the correct extensions on them, is there a compatibility list? I don't understand why it doesn't see all the games

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could someone create a version to run on r4i flash cart?
You should ask in the DS forum for this.

But I think it's not possible to emulate Atari Lynx with the DS hardware.

It doesn't matter if you run a DS program on the 3DS, it won't use the full power of the 3ds.

rushfan2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should ask in the DS forum for this.

But I think it's not possible to emulate Atari Lynx with the DS hardware.

It doesn't matter if you run a DS program on the 3DS, it won't use the full power of the 3ds.
Is the lynx more powerful than neo geo?

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@rushfan2112 is probably running emulators for the DS system on the 3ds, and I don't think the DS has enough power to run a Lynx emulator (DS code on the 3ds don't use the full 3ds power).

The CIA version of the this emulator is not stabe, mostly because it was one of first work of mine and was compiled with a very old version of ctruLib that could not be fully compatible with latest 3ds FW.

I'd like to start the port from scratch making some optimization on the code (now I'm coding for the lynx, so I have a better knowledge of the system) but don't have free time because I'm working on too many projects for the Retroguru team.

Maybe in the future ...

Cool! I like retroguru games! Hope to see something in the near future. ;)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cool! I like retroguru games! Hope to see something in the near future. ;)

For Retroguru I'm finalizing the release of Super Nutmeg (demoversion released for Dreamcast at Retrokomp 2018, but in the final release there will be a lot more things) and testing my port of Xump to the Atari Lynx with the support of the developers at Atariage.

And, when I have more time, I'll adapt the linux version of the RG games to compile for Freeplay CM3.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For Retroguru I'm finalizing the release of Super Nutmeg (demoversion released for Dreamcast at Retrokomp 2018, but in the final release there will be a lot more things) and testing my port of Xump to the Atari Lynx with the support of the developers at Atariage.

And, when I have more time, I'll adapt the linux version of the RG games to compile for Freeplay CM3.
Ah, no more ports to 3DS/Switch then? :(
But I appreciate your work, you're trying to get those games on many consoles as possible. Thumbs up! ;)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah, no more ports to 3DS/Switch then? :(
But I appreciate your work, you're trying to get those games on many consoles as possible. Thumbs up! ;)

The Nutmeg port on 3ds is already done, will be released after the game is completed. For Switch, probably I'll port all the retroguru games next summer.

I'm not going to make other works on th 3ds in the short term, but maybe in the future I could.

Reactions: CaptainHIT

rushfan2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An basic answer could be: no!

But the questions is not clear.

They have two different architectures. How would you compare the power of the two systems?

I ask because my 3ds (and ds) can run neo geo roms using neods emulator, so I'm confused as to why lynx would be impossible

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
All depends on how the emulator is coded. You can run Snes9x on a 3DS, but not bsnes because they take WAY different paths for emulation.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask because my 3ds (and ds) can run neo geo roms using neods emulator, so I'm confused as to why lynx would be impossible
The last person who ported the Handy emulator on the DS didn't get very far.
I'm assuming that since he got Lynx games to only run at 1/4 speed with no further updates, he must have quit early on after realizing the source code he was working with requires a top-down rewrite. If his aim was to make that emulator perform at an acceptable level, the idea of wasting precious time and effort heavily optimizing the baseline code that he didn't create in the first place, so that it runs well specifically on the DS(i), was something he considered not for the faint of heart. Even the most ardent hardcore programmers will abstain from a project like that if it's riffed with technical hurdles that do not have clear & concise solutions / work arounds known ahead of time.

The question of whether DS specific hardware is capable of emulating Lynx does not matter if no one wants to create a DS flashcart version for the reasons above. Handy already exists for the 3DS in the form of Nop90's fork and as a fully developed core in RetroArch. Either live within the confinements of flashcart-only homebrews that already exist, or hack your 3DS with custom firmware like what was suggested to you before. Your insistent asking for a Handy DS comes across as begging and being needy.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Just wondering if anyone will answer my question... So I just redownloaded every lynx game and it still only recognizes the same 15 or so games, all have the same file extensions and everything...

Quit feeding the DS troll plz btw

rushfan2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming that since he got Lynx games to only run at 1/4 speed with no further updates, he must have quit early on after realizing the source code he was working with requires a top-down rewrite. If his aim was to make that emulator perform at an acceptable level, the idea of wasting precious time and effort heavily optimizing the baseline code that he didn't create in the first place, so that it runs well specifically on the DS(i), was something he considered not for the faint of heart. Even the most ardent hardcore programmers will abstain from a project like that if it's riffed with technical hurdles that do not have clear & concise solutions / work arounds known ahead of time.

The question of whether DS specific hardware is capable of emulating Lynx does not matter if no one wants to create a DS flashcart version for the reasons above. Handy already exists for the 3DS in the form of Nop90's fork and as a fully developed core in RetroArch. Either live within the confinements of flashcart-only homebrews that already exist, or hack your 3DS with custom firmware like what was suggested to you before. Your insistent asking for a Handy DS comes across as begging and being needy.

Fake news

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So... Just wondering if anyone will answer my question... So I just redownloaded every lynx game and it still only recognizes the same 15 or so games, all have the same file extensions and everything...

Quit feeding the DS troll plz btw

When you say "recognize" do you mean the files arenot shown in the fil list, or that they don't work?

I have about 90 games in the ROM folder + others in a HOMEBREW subfolder.

About DS power:
- with the New 3DS my emulator runs fullspeed, with an Old 3ds it runs acceptably with frameskip 2 but has bad sound.

- 3DS has a 268 mhz ARM11 CPU (well, 2 CPU, but only 1 gor games) while the new 3DS runs at804MHz.

- The DS has only an ARM9 67 MHz CPU.

Reactions: handlolo

handlolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say "recognize" do you mean the files arenot shown in the fil list, or that they don't work?

I have about 90 games in the ROM folder + others in a HOMEBREW subfolder.

About DS power:
- with the New 3DS my emulator runs fullspeed, with an Old 3ds it runs acceptably with frameskip 2 but has bad sound.

- 3DS has a 268 mhz ARM11 CPU (well, 2 CPU, but only 1 gor games) while the new 3DS runs at804MHz.

- The DS has only an ARM9 67 MHz CPU.

Hey friend, you know that I was a season hooked on your game Powder on a Nintendo DS, it seems to me the best Roguelike I have ever played.
I have also recently tested your Handy emulator on a New 3DS and I find it very good, great, it only lacks a 3d mode in the style of the Nintendo VC's to be perfect.
Regards, and thanks for your work.

Last edited by handlolo,

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like it won't show the games titles at all. Just a handful of them. They are all in the same folder. I have the full romset

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s