PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the tale of a man who has yet to realize his destiny...

Released in 2007, the NDS game features a re-telling of the storyline from the hit anime series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! Full of action-packed battles, mini-games, 3 exclusive characters and an alternative ending, follow Gurren Lagann on a journey that will change the fate of the universe.

FvhJzbc.png

The translation is fully playable, and the release comes accompanied with a walkthrough as well as remastered subtitles for the OVA episode, “My Gurren is Sparkling!!” bundled with the limited-edition release of the game.

Download:
Patch download
More info & extra content

Usage:
Before you can play the translation, you’ll need to patch the game on your computer using a legal copy of the ROM.

-Download DeltaPatcher from https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
-Extract the file, and run either DeltaPatcher or DeltaPatcherLite
-'Original file' should be your copy of the ROM, as an '.nds' filetype.
-For 'XDelta patch', choose the 'GurrenLagannPatch.xdelta' file.
-Hit apply patch, and you're good to go!
*Note that this will overwrite your original file. If you’d like to keep a copy of it instead, change the settings by clicking the cog icon, and tick “Backup original file”. This will create a new ‘--PATCHED.nds’ file instead.

Play this file on an emulator such as DeSmuME, or use a flashcart to play it on any member of the NDS family.

See our beginner's guide to NDS patching for more info if you need help.

Tool:
If you’re interested in knowing more about the hacking specifics or translating the game into another language, the source code & compiled program covering both text and image extraction/repacking can be found on Github.

Want to get in touch?
Join our discord server to send us your questions, check out our other projects or even lend a hand in our mission to bring more anime games to the English-speaking fandom!

Credits:
Hacking

Illidan

Translation & Graphics
Phantom

Graphics
Phantom

Editing
TheSeventhCrusader

New Sprite Animations
Frogatr

Special Thanks
jjjewel

We hope you enjoy!

Last edited by PhantomGhost,

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m delighted to say that the project has made great progress, thanks to Illidanz’s expertise!

Here are some (actual!) screenshots of what’s been achieved;

kR69Zgx.png

There's a little bit more that needs to be finished up and polished, meanwhile we're still looking for a translation checker (JPN > ENG) and a sprite artist!

Translation checking was covered in the above post, so I’ll go into more depth about the sprites!

We’ve determined that it should be possible to add extra frames of animation to the character sprites featured in the game. The reason we’re looking is that whilst some characters have lovely idle animations, others only stand there and blink, and the combined effect can be jarring.

c2TLr5y.gif

In other words, this is a ‘just for fun’ hack, and a chance to show off your skills! The characters lacking animations are; Dayakka, Rossiu, Old Coco, The Black Siblings, Viral, Gimmy & Darry pre and post-time skip, so it’d be entirely up to who and how you’d like to breathe some life into these iconic personalities.

We hope to hear from you soon!

SuperGabumon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Wow! I didn´t know there was someone working on a patch for this game. You have any media or platform were I can follow your progress? Wish you best lucks with this project :bow:

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your kind comments :D

I do have a tumblr where I post more in general about my/other anime-related fan translation projects, although updates can be quite infrequent.

In terms of Gurren, whilst it is practically fully translated, it's taking a long time to go through the game chopping down text to make sure it fits. I'd say proofreading stands at around 40% right now, where it has unfortunately been put on hold whilst I work on the graphics for another (as of yet unannounced project!) anime NDS game that has been translated by an amazingly talented team mate.

We also haven't heard back from anyone happy to do the translation checking for Gurren, so are still on the lookout for people! I'd certainly prefer to have an another eye check over some of the game-exclusive terms that show up, but failing that, I still have every intention of releasing this patch as soon as possible!

My current thought is that it'll be this unannounced project patch release > Gurren Lagann > Ore ga Omae o Mamoru (a non-anime NDS game) and then review Vampire Knight, Spice & Wolf 1 and a related unannounced Wii game. Progress is creaking very slowly right now, but I'm hoping during summer after the academic year things will really shoot back up again!

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@TheSeventhCrusader Thanks for your interest!!! Translation checking is slightly different to proofreading, it’s more about checking the accuracy of the translation against the Japanese for a few lines that I struggled a bit with, to make sure that they’re getting the right meaning across. In other words, it requires some Japanese > English translation skills.

TheSeventhCrusader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I'd be able to help with that. But I'd like to help with this project in any way I can.
Like I said before, I can proofread (I read a lot of books) as well as do any odd jobs that a normal person could do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And I'm willing to learn to do other jobs

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That’d be awesome! The majority of the work has actually been done now (other than hopefully getting someone to do the translation check and then finalizing things), but we’ll never say no to another pair of hands :D

I’ll send you a DM!

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Ikari65 Proofreading is going well! We're aiming to have the patch out by the end of the year :D

We were also recently joined by megaaudino who is an amazing sprite artist, and has been helping us add new life into the previously un-animated characters!

gurren.gif

(Please excuse the colour glitch in the gif, something to do with my recorder I think!)

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome work! TTGL is a longtime favorite of mine (I just finished rewatching it again last night!), so it's great to see progress being made on bringing one of these Japan only spin-offs to the rest of the world.

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s been a long road, but the wait is finally over! 14 years after its release, and 8 years after the original project by @Illidanz , an English fan-translation has been released!

It's a sentimental project for us, marking the founding of the Anime Game Translations Team and we were incredibly fortunate to have been joined by some amazing new members, including @TheSeventhCrusader who reviewed the patch, frogatr who made new sprite animations for the game, and are grateful to the many more people who volunteered to help out! We also owe a special thanks to @jjjewel, without whom the hacking would never have taken off the ground.

As well as being fully-playable, the patch also features some bug fixes and added content, all of which are detailed in the readme. We hope you’ll agree with us that the wait has been worth it!

Check the first few minutes of footage below, or head straight over to the download!

Ikari65

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It’s been a long road, but the wait is finally over! 14 years after its release, and 8 years after the original project by @Illidanz , an English fan-translation has been released!

It's a sentimental project for us, marking the founding of the Anime Game Translations Team and we were incredibly fortunate to have been joined by some amazing new members, including @TheSeventhCrusader who reviewed the patch, frogatr who made new sprite animations for the game, and are grateful to the many more people who volunteered to help out! We also owe a special thanks to @jjjewel, without whom the hacking would never have taken off the ground.

As well as being fully-playable, the patch also features some bug fixes and added content, all of which are detailed in the readme. We hope you’ll agree with us that the wait has been worth it!

Check the first few minutes of footage below, or head straight over to the download!

maaaaaaaaaan thank uuuuuu <3!!!!!!

Reactions: PhantomGhost

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"