Homebrew [Release] freeShop - open source eShop alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Fight the good fight @TheCruel ! I have faith in your abilities to host FreeShop elsewhere, possibly even somewhere semi-locally, where it can't be DMCA'd. :)

In the meantime, thank you for everything thus far, and we ALL look forward to what you do next. :yay3ds:
Can't be DMCAd but can get him jailed cause lawyers don't abide by laws :D

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And the argument can be used against their own eShop application, which facilitates theft by installing unowned copies of Nintendo's games when users merely install tickets locally. The only difference is freeShop gives slightly more control over ticket installation, you can even install tickets with nonsense keys you give it and they'll just fail.

I used Nintendo's own eShop to pirate everything before they banned me, so now I was using FreeShop. Guess eShop needs to be taken down as well.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I used Nintendo's own eShop to pirate everything before they banned me, so now I was using FreeShop. Guess eShop needs to be taken down as well.
Was it the piracy that got you banned, or something else? I was always skeptical using TikDevil to download pirated stuff right from eShop.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to know whether I'm going to counter it, I'm not yet sure.
One thing that is a bunch of bullshit is not knowing why your stuff was taken down.. It pisses me off when I see things removed from the internet or youtube or any thing, and they give you only a vague reason that you violated some thing.. It makes it impossible to know exactly what to change to fix the problem, and leads to a ridiculous guessing game..

One possibility is that nintendo didn't particularly like your completely legal app, so they decided to take it down using a technicality that the eshop logo is trademark infringement.. Other than that eshop logo, there is nothing illegal about your app.. It is merely a better and more user-friendly version of eshop.. Your app isn't any more illegal than the official eshop app is, because either one ends up being able to install the exact same things based on which tickets you have..

If nothing else, then one option you might consider using as a work-around is not actually compiling it in to a .cia file, but merely host the source code, and that way the burden will be on any one that ends up compiling it.. This is a method that I have seen some linux things use that might normally infringe on some thing, such as decoding DVDs or blurays with out paying royalties for a license; Instead they just make the source code available, and people have to compile it in to an application them selves.. (Some times other sites will host pre-compiled binaries of those applications also, but the burden is still taken off of the people that actually create the source code)..

And failing that also, the only option left that I could possibly think of is to host things some where on the darknet, like I2P or magnet links or some thing..

Good luck..

Last edited by FF777,
Reactions: Ryccardo

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TheCruel Like I sai'd,legally you would have to go to notabug. The administrator itself agreed the app. (You might just need to switch the logo)

I hope it will be good,thought..... Good luck.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yelp this is a very greet idea.... Someone need to make a brew for that :P

Last edited by mariogamer,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheCruel Like I sai'd,legally you would have to go to notabug. The administrator itself agreed the app. (You might just need to switch the logo)

I hope it will be good,thought..... Good luck.
They could still file a lawsuit against me if I keep push it. I mean, it's very probable they wouldn't bother, but I'm probably the first they would target.

I'm in contact with a friend about having them maintain it there though (not that there is much to add, and I haven't even updated it in a long while). So perhaps I'll let others do it and link it here in the main thread.

Just so everyone is clear, the legal arguments that would be used against freeShop could also be used against pretty much all homebrew here. They all require bypassing the console's security mechanisms to function. The only thing special about freeShop is that's it's more widely used and commonly used by people for piracy. So it's more of a threat of Nintendo's business than most homebrew. CIAngel probably wasn't target merely because it's not used as much, and FBI wasn't yet targeted because the CDN installation feature is a bit more masked by other features. I won't be surprised if both are taken down on Github.

Last edited by TheCruel,

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
They could still file a lawsuit against me if I keep push it. I mean, it's very probable they wouldn't bother, but I'm probably the first they would target.

I'm in contact with a friend about having them maintain it there though (not that there is much to add, and I haven't even updated it in a long while). So perhaps I'll let others do it and link it here in the main thread.

Just so everyone is clear, the legal arguments that would be used against freeShop could also be used against pretty much all homebrew here. They all require bypassing the console's security mechanisms to function. The only thing special about freeShop is that's it's more widely used and commonly used by people for piracy. So it's more of a threat of Nintendo's business than most homebrew. CIAngel probably wasn't target merely because it's not used as much, and FBI wasn't yet targeted because the CDN installation feature is a bit more masked by other features. I won't be surprised if both are taken down on Github.
I dont think you really see why you got DMCA'd, You got taken down because of the server decryption thing to download off CDN, not any of the gimmicks and such bypassing exploits etc

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FBI may not be as common as freeshop but i mean it still can install stuff either by qr code scanning, or direct files, but i guess like you said, is not as used for piracy as freeshop. I mean i see ciangel differently as it has option to just download cia or install tickett but is just if is useful, for like rom hacks or injections, modifications. Besides that free shop is more frequently used i suspect and yeah, threat detected. ELEMENATE AND DESTROY!B-)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The idea that it's "illegal" to modify your own system is just complete bullshit to me. And I am not talking about just for piracy here, I mean just the idea that if I hack my system, that I am breaking the law. I bought the damn thing, I spent my money on my system.
It's one thing to target piracy, it's another to dictate what I can do with my own stuff. That would be like suing me because I painted my house blue.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The idea that it's "illegal" to modify your own system is just complete bullshit to me. And I am not talking about just for piracy here, I mean just the idea that if I hack my system, that I am breaking the law. I bought the damn thing, I spent my money on my system.
It's one thing to target piracy, it's another to dictate what I can do with my own stuff. That would be like suing me because I painted my house blue.
Welcome to the world of the DMCA. It's seriously broken, and nobody really gives a shit. Write your congressman, because that's all you can really do.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I perfectly understand what you say. Feel free to use my fork or anything.

And @ShinyMK , Steveice itself say'd it doesn't decrypt and he is probably right...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is very smart. Ah copyright,dmca...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Welcome to the world of the DMCA. It's seriously broken, and nobody really gives a shit. Write your congressman, because that's all you can really do.
It would be helpful if the same people I'd be writing to, are more than likely the same people who wrote the damn law in the first place. Either that or don't even know what the law really is.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: I pwned U!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It would be helpful if the same people I am writing are more than likely the same people who wrote the damn law in the first place. Either that or don't even know what the law really is.
Consoles are still covered. Phones are protected by law now, so it's legal to unlock, root, and jailbreak them. Homebrew being a violation of the DMCA is pants-on-head retarded, but this is the world we live in.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think you really see why you got DMCA'd, You got taken down because of the server decryption thing to download off CDN, not any of the gimmicks and such bypassing exploits etc
I'm speaking more about the ultimate arguments against freeShop. Their specific argument about freeShop circumventing protection because it decrypts files from CDN is weak imo. The title installation is a reimplementation, not any special circumvention. freeShop invokes title installation just like eShop does. The reason why it's a DMCA violation is because it's not authorized software like eShop. If freeShop only permitted users to install games they own, somehow verifying it (which not even eShop does), it would still be a DMCA violation, nothing would change except Nintendo's willingness to file a lawsuit.

Last edited by TheCruel,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44