• Replies 961
  • Likes 87

Zirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I had a problem with emunand9. When I first started the process of making an emunand with a fresh microSD, whenever I opened Emunand9 it took a sweet time to actually "open" (like 30 seconds per line of text), and when I made the emunand, and after waiting for it to finish, nothing changed in the microSD. I tried twice. I was compelled to use GW emunand, after which when I open emunand9 now, it works like a charm. I can even make NAND backups.

Anyone knows why of this behavior? My microSD is a 32GB Kingston Class 10. I have a New 3DSXL.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a problem with emunand9. When I first started the process of making an emunand with a fresh microSD, whenever I opened Emunand9 it took a sweet time to actually "open" (like 30 seconds per line of text), and when I made the emunand, and after waiting for it to finish, nothing changed in the microSD. I tried twice. I was compelled to use GW emunand, after which when I open emunand9 now, it works like a charm. I can even make NAND backups.

Anyone knows why of this behavior? My microSD is a 32GB Kingston Class 10. I have a New 3DSXL.
You could have tried formatting the SD card in PC first. Some SD cards come with a rather strange formatting out of the box, which confuses the file io routines in EmuNAND9. I can only guess now, though. What was displayed as remaining storage (approximately, I mean)? And, are you on a downgraded NAND?

Last edited by d0k3,

Zirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
You could have tried formatting the SD card in PC first. Some SD cards come with a rather strange formatting out of the box, which confuses the file io routines in EmuNAND9. I can only guess now, though. What was displayed as remaining storage (approximately, I mean). And, are you on a downgraded NAND?
I formatted using Windows' tool and SD Formatter (the one Nintendo suggests) with the same results. Now that I think of it, emunand9 showed like 17gb of microSD. Now that I'm using GW's emunand, emunand9 works perfectly fine, loads fasts, and shows my 32gb (actually less) of total disk space.

Mine is indeed a downgraded 10.3 N3DSXL.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I formatted using Windows' tool and SD Formatter (the one Nintendo suggests) with the same results. Now that I think of it, emunand9 showed like 17gb of microSD. Now that I'm using GW's emunand, emunand9 works perfectly fine, loads fasts, and shows my 32gb (actually less) of total disk space.

Mine is indeed a downgraded 10.3 N3DSXL.
SD Formatter is the better choice. It is strange that it works now, after the GW format. Is the SD card you tried to format with EmuNAND9 the same one that EmuNAND9 ran from? And, you formatted it using SD Formatter before you used EmuNAND9, correct? Any other information about your SD or 3DS that could help me get to the bottom of this?

Mis-post. Please delete
I just wanted to ask you what information is there, right on post #1, about a CIA version ;). It really is not possible, at least not in a way that would make you want to actually use it.

Zirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
SD Formatter is the better choice. It is strange that it works now, after the GW format. Is the SD card you tried to format with EmuNAND9 the same one that EmuNAND9 ran from? And, you formatted it using SD Formatter before you used EmuNAND9, correct? Any other information about your SD or 3DS that could help me get to the bottom of this?
I am using the same microSD that I first tried with. I hope I could help debug this, but I don't know what else I can share. I can't reproduce this behavior again, unless I re-do everything.

I can add too that when I first tried launching Emunand9 (with the included 4gb microSD) it worked fine. It feels like it's a problem with the formatting that gets fixed when the GW software formats the microSD for emunand.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am using the same microSD that I first tried with. I hope I could help debug this, but I don't know what else I can share. I can't reproduce this behavior again, unless I re-do everything.

I can add too that when I first tried launching Emunand9 (with the included 4gb microSD) it worked fine. It feels like it's a problem with the formatting that gets fixed when the GW software formats the microSD for emunand.
I think I found the solution to this issue. And I made a new release with that fix incldued, even though the last one is only 3 days young:

EmuNAND9 20160115
This release fixes some of the common user complaints...
  • EmuNAND9 can now handle corrupt SD cards and SD cards with non FAT32 file systems.
  • NAND dumps from rxTools / EmuNAND Tool / others can now be cloned into EmuNAND. Note that these tools don't use actual NAND chip memory size for their dumps, which is technically wrong.
The first change means that now basically any SD card on any system can be formatted in EmuNAND9.

Zirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I think I found the solution to this issue. And I made a new release with that fix incldued, even though the last one is only 3 days young:

EmuNAND9 20160115
This release fixes some of the common user complaints...
  • EmuNAND9 can now handle corrupt SD cards and SD cards with non FAT32 file systems.
  • NAND dumps from rxTools / EmuNAND Tool / others can now be cloned into EmuNAND. Note that these tools don't use actual NAND chip memory size for their dumps, which is technically wrong.
The first change means that now basically any SD card on any system can be formatted in EmuNAND9.
I hope it helps people. I suppose I can't go back now and install your Emunand cause I can't restore the backup from GW to emunand9 (they don't seem to be compatible).

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope it helps people. I suppose I can't go back now and install your Emunand cause I can't restore the backup from GW to emunand9 (they don't seem to be compatible).
They should be compatible now (meaning: you can use the backup from GW with EmuNAND9). And, of course you can just create a new backup with EmuNAND9. But, no need to do it. A tool that is as often used as EmuNAND9 get's every single one of it's features tested eventually anyways ;).

Mikumiracle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i want to upgrade to a bigger microSD card from the 4GB microSD that came with my New3DSXL. The problem is that when trying to make the emuNAND backup i require 1.88GB of space, and the max space i have available is 1.78GB, even after deleteing all other unneccesary files. What are my options?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So i want to upgrade to a bigger microSD card from the 4GB microSD that came with my New3DSXL. The problem is that when trying to make the emuNAND backup i require 1.88GB of space, and the max space i have available is 1.78GB, even after deleteing all other unneccesary files. What are my options?
Create the backup on PC, there are really no other options. Use either EmuNAND Tool or 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator for it. The newest version of EmuNAND9 will allow you to inject that backup back in any case.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally happy I can try this! I've spent hours trying to get emunand working but I kept getting a black screen. Your changelog added that it can work with non FAT32 cards, so I feel like that might be why. (Using a 64 exFAT microSD)

Reactions: d0k3

Mat3uS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
First of all thanks you for this release.

But I have a ask, exemple :
I have a save of my Nand but it is does not correspond with my id of my SysNand and EmuNand (ex : as I format their both)
Also this old Nand save still going for be repare brick of my SysNand or EmuNand ?

Thanks,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally happy I can try this! I've spent hours trying to get emunand working but I kept getting a black screen. Your changelog added that it can work with non FAT32 cards, so I feel like that might be why. (Using a 64 exFAT microSD)
Well you could have changed the formatting yourself on PC. But yup, now it should work!

First of all thanks you for this release.

But I have a ask, exemple :
I have a save of my Nand but it is does not correspond with my id of my SysNand and EmuNand (ex : as I format their both)
Also this old Nand save still going for be repare brick of my SysNand or EmuNand ?

Thanks,
You mean the <id0> in Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1> is different for that NAND backup, correct? You can still use that backup to repair a brick, but it will not work with the stuff you installed on your SD.

Mat3uS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank for your answer, yes I mean if the id is different of my old nand backup. So the nand backup will work for repair a brick but without my SD' stuff.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you could have changed the formatting yourself on PC. But yup, now it should work!

You mean the <id0> in Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1> is different for that NAND backup, correct? You can still use that backup to repair a brick, but it will not work with the stuff you installed on your SD.

Yea it didn't work. Right after it finished, I went to boot ReiNAND emunand and it's still on a black screen. I even left my system on all night just in case it was just taking forever to load. Your formatter even showed that a partition already exists before I did it anyway. Weird.

EDIT: Pasta launched regular ver. SysNAND, CakeFW left a black screen, ReiNAND SysNAND launched regular ver. SysNAND, and ReiNAND EmuNAND leaves a black screen.

Last edited by Selim873,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yea it didn't work. Right after it finished, I went to boot ReiNAND emunand and it's still on a black screen. I even left my system on all night just in case it was just taking forever to load. Your formatter even showed that a partition already exists before I did it anyway. Weird.

EDIT: Pasta launched regular ver. SysNAND, CakeFW left a black screen, ReiNAND SysNAND launched regular ver. SysNAND, and ReiNAND EmuNAND leaves a black screen.
I think I know what went wrong here... Did you use the Complete EmuNAND setup? If you just use the SD Format Option, you still need to copy / clone your NAND / NAND backup into the new partition.

I guess I'll need to add a hint about that to the on screen output.

And yes, I know the EmuNAND detection routines are not fully reliable yet. Working on that, but that's not a game breaker anyways.

Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know what went wrong here... Did you use the Complete EmuNAND setup? If you just use the SD Format Option, you still need to copy / clone your NAND / NAND backup into the new partition.

I guess I'll need to add a hint about that to the on screen output.

And yes, I know the EmuNAND detection routines are not fully reliable yet. Working on that, but that's not a game breaker anyways.

I did use the complete emunand setup. I remember seeing the 3DS copy SysNAND to the partition. :wacko: Even before trying your tool, I've gone as far as doing a system format with the SD card out and formatted the SD card itself on my PC to get a fresh start and that didn't make a difference. Maybe I'm just very unlucky at the success rate of EmuNAND launching. :lol: I've been using Cubic Ninja, Browserhax and Menuhax as well.

annoyingcalc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an O3DS with 9.2 Sysnand and I had rxTools running fine (emunand) for a while, but I wanted eshop access (I had Error code 022-2634), so I followed directions I found to backup emunand and it's folders. I backed up emunand using the rxTools menu, and then I copied all the folders on my SD card. Then I made the mistake of using the GW formatter instead of system settings. I thought no problem, I'll just inject my NAND. Well, rxTools doesn't seem to inject it, just saying "Processing EmuNAND.bin, then it says Hit A to continue. which does nothing. I then injected it using EmuNAND9 which seemed to work. However, when I try to boot using rxTools, I get a black screen. Could someone please help me?

EDIT: I was able to inject my old nand backup with Emunand tool, but that doesn't have any of my recent things, and it refuses to inject my newer emunand backups.

Last edited by annoyingcalc,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it okay if I post my experience with this in depth? I still get a black screen no matter what I do. I don't want to think I had a bad downgrade or something. I'm listing these as I'm doing this.

Confirmed in System Settings I was on 9.2.0-20E
Formatted System and SD Card (This was happening before I did this anyway)
Installed Ninjhax 2.5 on my Cubic Ninja cart with EmuNAND9Tool as boot.3dsx on root
Complete EmuNAND Setup
Reboot
Completed installation using Cubic Ninja
Installed MenuHax
Tried using ReiNAND EmuNAND (Blank screen)
Put EmuNAND9Tool in my SD Card (I don't think the self zipping file included it)
Cloned SysNAND to EmuNAND even though the app confirmed there was already a partitioned EmuNAND and even cloned from the complete setup.
Rebooted into MenuHax
Tried ReiNAND EmuNAND again, blank screen
Tried ReiNAND SysNAND CFW, System settings shows "Ver. 9.2.0-20E" instead of custom ReiNAND string
Powered off
Powered on holding L to access MenuHax; System Error
Powered off
Powered on to access SysNAND; SysNAND is fine
Boots Cubic Ninja to try Pasta; Blank screen
Powered off
MenuHax to try Pasta again; Blank screen
Powered off
MenuHax to try CakeFW; Failed to load FIRM
Powered off
Remove SD to find and place firmware.bin in the right place
Hits realization that firmware.bin isn't included because it's copywritten
Obtains ReiNAND's firmware.bin file
Tries ReiNAND EmuNAND with /rei/firmware.bin in the right place; Blank Screen
Powered off and obtained CakeFW files to place them in their correct destinations
Runs CakeFW through Menuhax; Couldn't Determine Firmware Version
Gives up for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Good morning!!! 🥰