Homebrew [Release] eBook Reader v1.0! Read eBooks on your 3DS!

__singularity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
eBook Reader is a homebrew application that well... allows you to read eBooks on your 3ds.

Source is available on github, if you want to have a look or contribute. Feel free to suggest things to add. I would prefer it if you opened issues on github if you have a problem rather than posting here as I don't really check gbatemp often.

Download here.

What this can do as of the first release:

• Make sure your ebooks are in .epub 3 or later format. You can use tools like sigil or calibre.
  • Saving bookmarks to an XML format.
  • Loading bookmarks from XML. Easy to add your own manually if you want.
  • Status bar to keep track of time / battery.
  • Read a book in a fixed-width way.
  • Place books in a folder named "books" on the root of your SD card. Some books can take a while to load! Be patient!
There is only a .cia build. It is unlikely that I will be able to allow for bolding / italics or better formatting as I don't really want to write a css parser or a html layout system. I tried using other solutions but they required a fairly in depth font and rendering library that doesn't really exist for the 3DS. Also I kinda just wanted to finish this project up after leaving it sitting for so long.

Instructions:
Place books and the bookmarks.xml in a folder named "books" on the root of your SD card. Some books can take a while to load! Be patient!

Make sure your ebooks are in .epub 3 or later format. You can use tools like sigil or calibre.

I recommend going to DRM-Free bookshops or public domain websites such as Project Gutenberg. The reason I recommend this is because this app DOES NOT SUPPORT BOOKS WITH DRM.

IF THE FORMAT IS WRONG, THE APP WILL FREEZE/CRASH.

THIS APP IS ONLY TESTED WITH ENGLISH LANGUAGE BOOKS.

Controls (also in app in the about menu):
  • (A) = Select book / bookmark.
  • (X) = Delete book / bookmark.
  • (Start) = Exit
  • (Select) = Bookmark page
  • (Up) = Scroll up lists
  • (Down) = Scroll down lists
  • (Left / L) = Previous Page
  • (Right / R) = Next Page
  • (B) - Back from book or bookmark page. Won't exit app
  • (Select) - Toggle about menu.

Known Issues:
- Crashes if book is not formatted correctly.
- Seems to crash when using the home button to close the app. Not entirely sure why, since exiting other ways does not cause an issue.

Credits:
  • AlbertoSonic for original repo + art.
  • cots on gbatemp for the new fancy artwork.
  • BernardoGiordano for pp2d and makefile
  • tinyxml2 for xml parsing.
  • BleuLlama for BLZip
  • citra team for citra.
  • The people at #cakey.
  • gutenberg for books to test with.

License:
Code is licensed under the MIT license so feel free to do whatever within the constraints of the license.

Last edited by __singularity,

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been waiting for something like this for ages, before I'd convert the books to txt files and read them with moonshll2 on a DS flashcart, but my flashcart has taken to crashing and loosing it's connection with the sd card.

A bookmarking feature will make this a must have replacement.

Edi1: Does the app support subfolders under Root/Books ? As that'd be handy for organising your ebooks, or is this a potential feature for a later version?

Edit2: What is the largest filesize can this ebook reader tolerate so I know how to split them with the Caliber conversion.

Edit3: Seems my ebooks are still crashing the app even after using Caliber to convert them...

Last edited by Hopalongtom,

__singularity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
I've been waiting for something like this for ages, before I'd convert the books to txt files and read them with moonshll2 on a DS flashcart, but my flashcart has taken to crashing and loosing it's connection with the sd card.

A bookmarking feature will make this a must have replacement.

Edi1: Does the app support subfolders under Root/Books ? As that'd be handy for organising your ebooks, or is this a potential feature for a later version?

Edit2: What is the largest filesize can this ebook reader tolerate so I know how to split them with the Caliber conversion.

Edit3: Seems my ebooks are still crashing the app even after using Caliber to convert them...

No, it does not support subfolders.

I assume as long as the ebook fits into the 3DS's RAM. There isn't really a clearly defined limit.

Did you make sure the ebooks are version 3 or higher? They have to be in zip format, with META-INF/container.xml pointing to a content.opf, which points to the source files.

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
Sigil confirmed that they are epub2, however I managed to get Caliber to create a folder with opf and METADATA, so will zip those and try it that way!

Edit1: Ok in a .zip format the ebook reader can't even see them, and selecting the blank space causes a crash!

__singularity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Sigil confirmed that they are epub2, however I managed to get Caliber to create a folder with opf and METADATA, so will zip those and try it that way!

Edit1: Ok in a .zip format the ebook reader can't even see them, and selecting the blank space causes a crash!

Calibre should be exporting them as BOOKNAME.epub, and they should be in a folder called "books/" on the root of your sd card. They need to be zipped but the file extension should be .epub.

I also released a new version that should fix some reading issues hopefully.

Last edited by __singularity,

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
So really a rename ".zip" to ".epub" after zipping the Calibre conversion?

Edit2: ok so neither Calibre or Sigil saved them as an epub3, and a zipped version of the extras calibre created don't seem to count as an epub 3 either.

Edit3: Sigil needed an external plugin, testing that now.

Edit4: Yup here's the plugin for Sigil: https://github.com/kevinhendricks/ePub3-itizer
Works fine after using that!

Fatneek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I put the bookmark and the epub file in the books folder. I tried to load it on the app but it wouldn't. The book is 224 pages long and I waited for like 90 minutes. Did I do something incorrectly or should I have waited longer?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-17 000536.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-17 000536.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 293

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I put the bookmark and the epub file in the books folder. I tried to load it on the app but it wouldn't. The book is 224 pages long and I waited for like 90 minutes. Did I do something incorrectly or should I have waited longer?
Judging by that the last post before yours 2 years ago also had messed up I am guessing it is the app that dont work. Aswell as the OP hasnt been seen since 2018, i dont think this app is going to get updated or fixed.

Fatneek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by that the last post before yours 2 years ago also had messed up I am guessing it is the app that dont work. Aswell as the OP hasnt been seen since 2018, i dont think this app is going to get updated or fixed.

Well that sucks but thanks for the help

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: just started downloading Ark on the steam deck, I had no idea the game was over 130gb now