ROM Hack [RELEASE][Conquest Story Overhaul] Fire Emblem Fates: Good Guy Garon Edition

ThatUnknownSkull

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Thank you so much for the spelling/grammar fixes and going in to give it a really good look. I appreciate it a ton! Now that I'm home I'll be going in and making some changes to the game. For a more in-depth response (including some of my reasoning for a few things) please see below!
Keep hope in Father is a reference to the previous conversation with the Rainbow Sage, who tells the Avatar not to lose hope in their Father. The presence of and perseverance of hope in the avatar is one of their defining characteristics and an important theme in the story. The phrase is intended to convey to the audience that Corrin began their journey with hope, and is desperate to keep that hope alive while dealing with the tragedies that unfold in the story.

"But I have nightmares every night about the Hoshidans I've killed" is from the basegame paralogue between Corrin and Azura. They are a whole other can of worms that I didn't bother opening -- maybe when I finish the Revelations rewrite I'll go back and touch up on them, though!

For Glory! Iron Awake! is a subtle reference to an old friend and guildmate who held that as their battle cry. It's a rephrasing of the battlecry "Awake Iron!" which was used in the Middle Ages when entering battle to frighten foes and call forth their blades. Pretty cool!

Great point about the dashes instead of hyphens. I had a character error in the JPN version of the game and replaced them, but there's no reason for that in the ENG version. You're also spot on about some of the wording choices and lack of punctuation. Once I finish the Revelations re-write I plan on going back to both games and editing the text so that it flows better, along with adding emotes to the characters in game.

I LOVE the idea of giving a name to the Trade War. Maybe "Rejection of Iron" since weapons were what Nohr traded with, and it fits the peaceful Hoshidan motif.. Eh, something like that anyways!

"That you're here to take me back to that thing in Father's body so that-" I can definitely see how this would be confusing. This is part of three "That you are..." statements designed to emulate a flustered person. It begins with Corrin saying "I know what you are going to say. That I.." then spouting off an angry list of assumptions. However using "That" three times in one sentence is just asking for trouble. I'll switch it to "You're here to take me back to that THING in Father's body, so-" so that it makes a bit more sense.

"The throne purged him from this form." The wording for this was chosen to mirror Mikoto and Corrin's earlier statements about the throne being able to restore one's true form and mind. It's also intended to reveal that
the two were previously sharing a body. There may be a better way to describe the situation, but I enjoy the callback. I'll have to think about it.

Thank you! The Revelation rewrite is coming along steadily, although it is more difficult than I anticipated. Conquest was easy to write for since it already contained the ingredients for a compelling story. Revelation doesn't really have that -- it's more of a leftover potluck of story fragments -- so each chapter requires significantly more mental energy to connect events while keeping things interesting and being true to the cast. That said, I'm pretty happy with the way things are turning out. I'll be posting some screenshots of the first two or three chapters once I feel I've made enough progress to take a break. I appreciate the encouragement!

Excellent to hear that! If you ever need help, I'd be glad to lend a hand or two.

MoonBunny_MB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I have a question that feels really, really dumb, but I've been struggling with it for a while. I've got US Birthright backed up as a CIA, with Conquest appearing as DLC. I can't seem to get this patch to work with Luma with Birthright's title ID, or with Conquest's. It did work up until deciding a side, but following that, it's not showing the Good Guy Garon text anymore. Has anyone else had this problem, or is there a different ID I should be using?

Last edited by MoonBunny_MB,

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I have a question that feels really, really dumb, but I've been struggling with it for a while. I've got US Birthright backed up as a CIA, with Conquest appearing as DLC. I can't seem to get this patch to work with Luma with Birthright's title ID, or with Conquest's. It did work up until deciding a side, but following that, it's not showing the Good Guy Garon text anymore. Has anyone else had this problem, or is there a different ID I should be using?

I'm sorry to say I don't have much experience with modifying the DLC version of the game. I looked over some threads to see if I could find an answer for you, but the only similar situation I found was an undub patching thread on Serene's. They were stating that in order to patch the DLC (including DLC pathways like Conquest on BR) you'd need to patch them separately. This may mean that there is an additional pathway where the DLC is stored, which we'd need to know of in order to patch it. Once we found where the DLC was stored, we'd just look for where the "m" folder was and create a mirror in Lumas. Until we find that DLC pathway though, I'm afraid the game will still read the base script. This is again just hypothetical though.

There's a few troubleshooting tricks I can think of:

Try creating an ID for both Conquest and BR at the same time on your SD card, both with the patch (0004000000179600 for CQ and 0004000000179400 for BR). If my earlier assumption was wrong and the game reads the files like the base game, you'd need both IDs for it to function.​

Double check and make sure you have the pathway correct for the patch. Sometimes people will manually type it out which can lead to issues getting it to work (You should have files in SD Card:\luma\titles\IDNUMBER\romfs\m\B\@E\)​

If there's still a problem after that, the only other solution I know that will work is downloading and installing the special edition. Good luck!

MoonBunny_MB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to say I don't have much experience with modifying the DLC version of the game. I looked over some threads to see if I could find an answer for you, but the only similar situation I found was an undub patching thread on Serene's. They were stating that in order to patch the DLC (including DLC pathways like Conquest on BR) you'd need to patch them separately. This may mean that there is an additional pathway where the DLC is stored, which we'd need to know of in order to patch it. Once we found where the DLC was stored, we'd just look for where the "m" folder was and create a mirror in Lumas. Until we find that DLC pathway though, I'm afraid the game will still read the base script. This is again just hypothetical though.

There's a few troubleshooting tricks I can think of:

Try creating an ID for both Conquest and BR at the same time on your SD card, both with the patch (0004000000179600 for CQ and 0004000000179400 for BR). If my earlier assumption was wrong and the game reads the files like the base game, you'd need both IDs for it to function.​

Double check and make sure you have the pathway correct for the patch. Sometimes people will manually type it out which can lead to issues getting it to work (You should have files in SD Card:\luma\titles\IDNUMBER\romfs\m\B\@E\)​

If there's still a problem after that, the only other solution I know that will work is downloading and installing the special edition. Good luck!

I've tried that, but didn't have any luck unfortunately. Thanks for looking into it though! I'll switch over to the special edition to use this.

Anemonie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I want to thank you for creating this overhaul, this actually made me sympathize with Garon and made me enjoy playing the conquest route more, I hope to see more from you!!

Saiklex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also here to express my gratitude, on Chapter 17 and I can't believe how great this rewrite is- if you're still working on a Revelations rewrite, I'll jump on that straight away too! Regardless, this is such a good hack, thank you for creating it!

Reactions: AgahnimD

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Project Update:

Hey folks! The Revelation route is still being actively worked on -- I'm currently about halfway through, which is further along than I expected to be at this point in time. Good news all around! I've attached a few screenshots from the modified story below. Please keep in mind that the diction will likely be changed in the final script.

Rev1.jpg
Rev3.jpg
Rev4.jpg
Rev5.jpg
Rev7.jpg
Rev9.jpg

As you may have surmised from the screenshots, the re-write incorporates the attitudes and scenarios established in Conquest:GGG. I found the basegame to be a little too Hoshidan focused, even in the route where you supposedly do not choose a side. By utilizing elements from the Conquest:GGG story and leaning a little bit more towards Corrin's Nohrian side, I hope to bring a bit more balance to the setting.

Please look forward to it!

Goden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got the Conquest: GGG today and I'm loving it so far. Knowing Revelations is being worked on makes me even more excited. Keep up the good work!

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
@AgahnimD
Are you going to make a fully patched ROM file of this for use on the Citra emulator?

Because I’d love to play this, but I don’t have a CFWed 3DS and I don’t trust myself to do the CFW process correctly as me and computers in general are iffy. Citra meanwhile is risk free to my actual 3DS.

Is it possible to pack the Fates ROM and GGG as a single file able to be loaded in Citra?

Fishmalk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@AgahnimD
Are you going to make a fully patched ROM file of this for use on the Citra emulator?

Because I’d love to play this, but I don’t have a CFWed 3DS and I don’t trust myself to do the CFW process correctly as me and computers in general are iffy. Citra meanwhile is risk free to my actual 3DS.

Is it possible to pack the Fates ROM and GGG as a single file able to be loaded in Citra?

The layeredfs files work fine with citra, you just need to unpack the rom, paste the GGG files in and repack it, same way you use any romhacks with citra. See my instructions for using the gay hack with citra: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fire-em...arriage-patch-wip.416109/page-98#post-7830131. The process is the same.

Deleted member 414661

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The layeredfs files work fine with citra, you just need to unpack the rom, paste the GGG files in and repack it, same way you use any romhacks with citra. See my instructions for using the gay hack with citra: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fire-em...arriage-patch-wip.416109/page-98#post-7830131. The process is the same.
Except I don’t have the base ROM to start with, where do I get that?

Is it against GBATemp rules to post ROMhacked versions of games for download here when they’re very different from the base game?

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I've updated the English patch files to include a new menu marker indicating the latest version and to reintroduce the EM Dash to the script. The EM Dashes were switched with hyphens to accomodate the JP version of the game as it uses a different character, but this change migrated over to the ENG patch. The issue should now be fixed.

Revelation rewrite is still coming along. I'll make another update when I can offer more info!

Excadrill1201

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played the first couple of chapters of this write up overhaul and not gonna lie you actually make me like conquest's story a lot. There's just a lot of neat things you did writing wise and I feel like you really did make a solid story all things considered.

Espe363

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed playing this. I cannot wait till Revelations! However, I did run into some issues as the female avatar though.
Chapter 24: Iago calls her lord instead of lady.
Chapter 27: Xander says his life instead of her life.
Chapter 28: Takumi says "He will never...open his eyes...again" should be She and Her. In the next sentence Xander says He instead of She. Ganglari has two - instead of one. I found it strange that after the battle is over Xander says, "You did well, Princess.". He usually calls her little princess instead, however the way Xander said it is correct though.
The only other issues I saw in the previous chapters was that punctuation and the end of words would cut off sometimes in some chapters (I forgot which chapters, sorry).

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed playing this. I cannot wait till Revelations! However, I did run into some issues as the female avatar though.
Chapter 24: Iago calls her lord instead of lady.
Chapter 27: Xander says his life instead of her life.
Chapter 28: Takumi says "He will never...open his eyes...again" should be She and Her. In the next sentence Xander says He instead of She. Ganglari has two - instead of one. I found it strange that after the battle is over Xander says, "You did well, Princess.". He usually calls her little princess instead, however the way Xander said it is correct though.
The only other issues I saw in the previous chapters was that punctuation and the end of words would cut off sometimes in some chapters (I forgot which chapters, sorry).

Excellent, thank you! The pronoun mistakes have been fixed and will be included in the next patch. Please let me know if you find any other instances of misgendered pronouns or spacing issues and I'll get it taken care of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@