• Views 1,454,743
  • Replies 844
  • Likes 158

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
why though? there's no real need to do this.

Well I find it useful to be able to get a "Memory Expansion" via Gateway, I would very much love to use my 32 GB Micro SD HC along with the internal SD card. In my case, I just so happened to delete several of my .3ds roms, because I thought that once I'd instal A9LH, I'd just put the micro sd hc into a card adapter, and simply insert it direcltly into my old 3ds xl, and install CIA's on it, although unfortunately the card didn't work on the 3DS, and now I'm stuck to using it via Gateway. And to be frank, a memory expansion is always welcome... why now have one card if you can have 2?? (At least considering the fact that many people used to have gateway, and large cards aren't usually very compatible, I couldn't even use a 16 GB micro sd hc card via adapter... In other words, it would be useful for not having to simply "throw away the card" in case you have Gateway additionally)

Last edited by naughty_cat,

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Some people claim that it's possible:

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/3ds-to-cia-converter-v4-1.34568/

Though I'm having trouble running the converter properly. I tried with python 2.7 32 bit, 64 bit as well as 3.5 32 bit, with no luck. On win 7 64 bit I automatically get the "conversion successful" message without any actual output file being there. The converter doesn't seem to run all the commands, it just skips to the "Conversion successful" message. On win xp 32 bit it carries out the commands just like in the video, but I get error messages every time the converter tries to run one of the .exe executables needed for the conversion (such as make.exe, I get the "this is not a valid win32 application" error message). I believe that all the .exe executables packed with it are meant to run on win 7... At this point, I'm pretty much giving up... there just doesn't seem to be enough public interest in obtaining .3ds files anymore...

Luciferx12

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hello i have some stupid question in ver 4.3 say no need xorpad is that mean no need xorpad anymore to convert 3ds to cia?

Argon11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So for the few that really don't have a clue how to use it!

3DS 2 CIA HowTo with 3DS Simple CIA Converter

Click "Show"
3DS 2 CIA with 3DS Simple CIA Converter

Download the program and follow the discussion on GBATemp
[Release] 3DS Simple CIA Converter

So what is it?

It's a Windows program to convert 3DS roms to CIA files, those CIA files can then be used to install
the converted 3DS rom on Gateway or Custom FirmWare (CFW)
It can convert Multiple roms at 1 go :)

Why a guide if it's so simple?
Why are there guides for everything?, for example internet for dummies, etc...
A guide with ugly taken pictures and badly taken screenshots sometimes say more then 1000+ words!

So let's start
Unzip the rar to wherever you like (I like to place it in a folder i recognize easy d:\3DS_2_CIA)
(The slot0x25KeyX.bin file is not needed, just ignore it :P )

3ds2cia01.png

Find your roms you want to convert to CIA and place them in the rom folder (in my case: d:\3DS_2_CIA\roms)

3ds2cia01a.png

Start "3ds_simple_cia.exe" and choose "Create 'ncchinfo.bin' file" and if you want, check FW Spoof.
- FW Spoof is only needed if your EmuNAND is lower then the Firmware the game needs to run

3ds2cia02.png

3ds_simple_cia will ask for a folder, It will automaticly pick the roms folder, so just hit the button folder select (see picture) NO need to type anything!

3ds2cia03.png

Then it will ask for a folder where to store the ncchinfo file, just hit the save button (see screenshot) again, you don't have to type anything!

3ds2cia04.png

Important: LEAVE "3ds_simple_cia" window OPEN, don't close it (the truth, yeah you can close it if you want :P but it's easier to just leave it open anyway :D)

Now, remove the SD/MicroSD from your (N)3DS(XL) and connect it to your computer
Copy ncchinfo.bin to the root of your SD card, as shown in the pictures!

3ds2cia05.png

to

3ds2cia06.png

You can also place the ncchinfo.bin file in a folder called "Decrypt9"

3ds2cia01.png

- Safely remove the sd from your computer and place the sd back in your 3ds and boot into "Decrypt9"
- Boot your 3DS into Homebrew Launcher (Use your entrypoint of choice)
- If you use A9LH and Luma3DS and have start_decrypt9.bin (Rename Decrypt9.bin to key_decrypt9.bin) in the \Luma\payloads folder, just boot into Decrypt9 by holding start and power on your system.

DSC00423.jpg

Go to XORpad Generator Option
Under XORpad Generator Option select NCCH Padgen

DSC00424.jpg

As you can see, you need a few keys to work in the latest Decrypt9 (slot0x25KeyX.bin/slot0x18KeyX.bin/slot0x1BKeyX.bin, search the internet, i can't provide you with them)
I don't know if seeddb.bin really is needed. (The rom i used didn't needed it anyway (LEGO_Marvels_Avengers_EUR_MULTi7_3DS-PUSSYCAT))

When NCCH Padgen says succeeded! you can press B to go back to the main UI and then shut down your 3DS (Hold <-+START), rest is the same, copy to your xorpads folder from 3ds simple cia etc...

56b8f2ed736d7-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
DSC00425.jpg

When back in the main menu hold "<- + START" to power off your system
Remove your SD and connect it to your computer.
You see multiple xorpads, depends on how many 3DS roms you placed in the "rom" folder. Select ALL xorpads (IF you used the "Decrypt9" folder, the XORpads will be in the "Decrypt9" folder)
and move them to your xorpads folder where you placed 3ds_simple_cia.exe.

3ds2cia07.png

to

3ds2cia08.png
3ds2cia09.png

Now go back to your 3DS Simple CIA Conveter program (you sure have left open, if not restart it and make it look like the picture!

3ds2cia10.png

Select "Convert 3DS ROM to CIA" a windows pop up to select a folder, leave it like it is and press "Select folder"
No need to type anything!

3ds2cia11.png

A few seconds or minutes later you will see a small windows pop up saying "Finnished" press "OK" and close the program

3ds2cia12.png

Now go to your "cia" folder and you will see your converted 3ds roms as cia files

3ds2cia13.png

Install with FBI or BBM or DevMenu, whatever you like in your Emunand (CFW)

3ds2cia15.png
3ds2cia16.png
3ds2cia18.png

[EDIT]
Using old rxTools for XorPads:

Safely remove the sd from your computer and place the sd back in your 3ds and boot into "rxTools main menu"
As you see in my picture i use ctrbootmanager to do that!

3ds2cia06a.png
3ds2cia06b.png

Now go to the tab "Decrytion" and press "A" to enter it and here select "Generate Xorpads" and wait for the screen to finnish!

3ds2cia06c.png
3ds2cia06d.png

At the end it's possible you get an error "100%Error opening SDinfo.bin" Just ignore it and press "A"

3ds2cia06e.png
3ds2cia06f.png

Now turn off your 3DS by pressing and holding "Select" and remove your sd and connect it to your computer

Hi, I'm new to this thing. I've successfully converted a game. Can I delete the xorpads file in the root of my sd card after? Thanks

BriansCar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Background is this 3ds was taken through the complete set of steps on 3ds.guide to have Homebrew and FBI.

On this step:

- Safely remove the sd from your computer and place the sd back in your 3ds and boot into "Decrypt9"
- Boot your 3DS into Homebrew Launcher (Use your entrypoint of choice)
- If you use A9LH and Luma3DS and have start_decrypt9.bin (Rename Decrypt9.bin to key_decrypt9.bin) in the \Luma\payloads folder, just boot into Decrypt9 by holding start and power on your system.

I don't think I have that, when I hold start and boot up my system loads into Hourglass9 and not Decrypt.

I have tried to put the 2 Decrypt9 files in the /3ds/Decrypt9 folder on the sd card and launch from Homebrew, it shows up as Decrypt9WIP and gives the info like it should work but when I launch it the bottom screen flashes red a couple of times and I am right back at the Homebrew Launcher.

Youtube and such shows people doing the same thing and then Decrypt9 loads, on mine it tries and then just gives up.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think I have that, when I hold start and boot up my system loads into Hourglass9 and not Decrypt.
You may already have start mapped to HG9, just use a different button (or remove HG9, it's just a simplified version of D9)

Note that this software isn't very useful with the latest version of D9, which can do 3ds>cia conversions by itself (just put the .3ds file in a "files9" folder in the root of the SD, open D9, and use the approprate option)

I have tried to put the 2 Decrypt9 files in the /3ds/Decrypt9 folder on the sd card and launch from Homebrew, it shows up as Decrypt9WIP and gives the info like it should work but when I launch it the bottom screen flashes red a couple of times and I am right back at the Homebrew Launcher.
3dsx versions of arm9 homebrews are not for use on 9.3+

BriansCar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may already have start mapped to HG9, just use a different button (or remove HG9, it's just a simplified version of D9)

Note that this software isn't very useful with the latest version of D9, which can do 3ds>cia conversions by itself (just put the .3ds file in a "files9" folder in the root of the SD, open D9, and use the approprate option)

3dsx versions of arm9 homebrews are not for use on 9.3+

You are right, the guide had me use Decrypt on one of the earliest steps, but it had me launch it via the browser and going to a specific website. Is there a way to book into it some other way? Start takes me to HG9 and Select took me to a Lumia thing. Not sure how to get back to Decrypt.

Is it worth switching HG for D9?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You are right, the guide had me use Decrypt on one of the earliest steps, but it had me launch it via the browser and going to a specific website. Is there a way to book into it some other way? Start takes me to HG9 and Select took me to a Lumia thing. Not sure how to get back to Decrypt.

Is it worth switching HG for D9?
Just use a different button, for example X -> rename to /luma/payloads/x_decrypt9wip.bin

If you have D9 you don't really need HG9 because it does everything HG9 does and much more, but it doesn't hurt to keep both anyway

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought that once I'd instal A9LH, I'd just put the micro sd hc into a card adapter, and simply insert it direcltly into my old 3ds xl, and install CIA's on it, although unfortunately the card didn't work on the 3DS, and now I'm stuck to using it via Gateway.
Necro-answer, but did you format that micro SD card to fat32 before inserting it into the 3DS's slot? Because the 3DS will only read that, not exfat.
And yeah, that's totally possible to do even with very large (micro) SD cards. Source: the 128GB micro SD card in my New 3DS.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not to be dense but where do I go to remap the buttons for what gets launched at boot?
You simply rename the files in the payload folder as in my example: x_(this part doesn't matter).bin, up_(this part doesn't matter).bin, left_(this part doesn't matter).bin

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Necro-answer, but did you format that micro SD card to fat32 before inserting it into the 3DS's slot? Because the 3DS will only read that, not exfat.
And yeah, that's totally possible to do even with very large (micro) SD cards. Source: the 128GB micro SD card in my New 3DS.

This is very interesting... Yes I formatted into fat32... The 3DS won't even boot... Maybe the card is faulty??? Mind you that mine is old 3DS...

vbustamante

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, I'm not sure where else to ask this so here it goes: Do I need to install only cias converted with the xorpads generated on my 3ds? I supposed that the conversion used some device specific info for the process, but since I can only find CIA versions of a specific game, I wonder if there's any possible harm in using pre converted CIAs

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm not sure where else to ask this so here it goes: Do I need to install only cias converted with the xorpads generated on my 3ds? I supposed that the conversion used some device specific info for the process, but since I can only find CIA versions of a specific game, I wonder if there's any possible harm in using pre converted CIAs
CIAs do not contain any console-specific data, xorpads are game-specific

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have a quick question. I have used this tool to modify my Mario Kart 7 cia file, edited RomFS files, everything reencrypted successfully and working. However, when I go to download play, when I create a group, it automatically gives me a communication error. :/ Did I do something wrong? Or is this a known issue of rebuilding modded games into a installable .cia file format?

Thx.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello. I have a quick question. I have used this tool to modify my Mario Kart 7 cia file, edited RomFS files, everything reencrypted successfully and working. However, when I go to download play, when I create a group, it automatically gives me a communication error. :/ Did I do something wrong? Or is this a known issue of rebuilding modded games into a installable .cia file format?

Thx.
If you built a 3ds/cia without partition 2, it won't have the file to distribute for download play... That's up to the tool you use for packaging, the manual way I recommend in "romhaching a cxi" will work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @genistopitauniverfrocrami, Not interested. The fanbase totally ruined it.