ReiNX Switch custom firmware version 1.6 now available

imageedit_6_9771888762.png
ReiSwitched is proud to announce the arrival of version 1.6!

What is ReiNX?:
It's a modular custom firmware for the Nintendo Switch that uses 'smart' patching for future proofing and just works.™ Official discussion thread here.

New features in version 1.6 include:
  • Self-chainloading: Allows the user to update their payload file without having to update the payload pushed through the PC (required for the toolkit - coming soon).
  • fs_mitm (LayeredFS) no longer on by default
  • Partial 6.0 support - LayeredFS not supported, and some issues with sleep mode remain
  • ReiNX custom version string
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience™

screenshot.jpg
Showing off a sexy custom version string

New webpage for ReiNX:

ReiNX toolkit now available!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Quick power options - turn your console off for sure without having to long press the power button, enter RCM, and turn the console off through a payload.
not sure about the telemetry or other stuff.
i read that, but it seems kinda unclear to me.
turn off the console without having to (longpress, enter rcm and turn off through payload like hekate/power off) = it just is off instantly
turn off the console without having to longpress, but then you still (enter rcm and turn off through a payload...)
turn off the console without having to longpress, but it does the rcm and payload thing by itself

that would be important for all those moments where you want to remove the sd card because it doesn't like to be taken out unless everything is totally off.

but more importantly, how does it do that? how does it suppress the switches weird need to reboot into rcm mode 5 seconds after shutting down?

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i read that, but it seems kinda unclear to me.
turn off the console without having to (longpress, enter rcm and turn off through payload like hekate/power off) = it just is off instantly
turn off the console without having to longpress, but then you still (enter rcm and turn off through a payload...)
turn off the console without having to longpress, but it does the rcm and payload thing by itself

that would be important for all those moments where you want to remove the sd card because it doesn't like to be taken out unless everything is totally off.

but more importantly, how does it do that? how does it suppress the switches weird need to reboot into rcm mode 5 seconds after shutting down?
I like the toolbox but like I just mentioned the power off option doesn't do much. If you want to turn of your switch completely turning the console to enter RCM works fine through a nower power off wich is still faster to do then to load up the toolbox and do it through there. Now you basically have to enter the toolbox then power off through that, connect your dongle and then select power off through hekate or sxos while the dongle keeps being inserted. Or you can do a regular power button push, select power off, power it back on and then push power off through hekate or sxos wich is faster doing it that way

Reactions: Quantumcat

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
"Process manager disables telemetry"

I assume this refers to disabling eclct. It doesn't disable telemetry though, just reduces it, and the remaining telemetry is still bannable.

I recommend clarifying that to make sure that people who don't know better won't go online without protection (which'd get them banned).

Edit: Apparently ReiNX doesn't even include pm, so the eclct stubbing doesn't even get applied.

Last edited by AveSatanas,
Reactions: Adran_Marit

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice release with the toolbox idea, and very good guide :)
specially the "SD preparation" page instead of relying on already packed zip from other users. (SDFiles, etc.)

nothing against packages, but I prefer getting all files myself to understand what I'm doing, and what each files/folder are used for.
yeah, while i realize how useful the stashes were, they tend to make people lazy and develop poor habits

i made sure with the guide people were learning while they were doing so they can update stuff on their own easier and hopefully take away something as well - its why i made sure to explain why people were doing what they did instead of just telling them

Last edited by Kilim,
Reactions: Cyan

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried this coming from RajNX and I'm incredibly disappointed in its inextensibility. There is no way to load up a boot menu while holding a volume button to enable LayeredFS. (Enabling and disabling this is important so I can use DevMenu or actually run OkamiHD.) When I try to run Hulu, which DevMenu should be replacing, it just freezes the switch. I followed the tutorial at https://reinx.guide/gettingstarted and my files are all appropriately where they should be, but this just doesn't work for what I need it to. Darn.

Also, someone here purported that their "telemetry" disabling system was somehow broken. Is that the case?

Reactions: flatty69

koyuki38

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is that thing about turning off the switch ?
I never do anything special after pushing long and choosing 'power off'

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
its why i made sure to explain why people were doing what they did instead of just telling them
Thank you for that, that's what I like most in guides :)
I think other wiiu/3ds guide are missing explanations and are only a "do this, do that", then leaves the user without direction once completed.
When I write a guide I always try to explain how a console works, people should understand what they are doing from the start of a hacking scene, it prevents "noob" questions and brick issues later. Everyone should learn properly at the start of a console life, it helps us "helpers" on the forum because we will have less recurring questions.

edit:
recommended homebrew on the finalizing step, maybe you could add the switchbru appstore?
allows users to list and download all released homebrew directly from their consoles.
of course, it requires network protection to prevent updates, which reminds me I didn't see any version information in the guide. No warning to block urls, use dns, etc.

Last edited by Cyan,

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Thank you for that, that's what I like most in guides :)
I think other wiiu/3ds guide are missing explanations and are only a "do this, do that", then leaves the user without direction once completed.
When I write a guide I always try to explain how a console works, people should understand what they are doing from the start of a hacking scene, it prevents "noob" questions and brick issues later. Everyone should learn properly at the start of a console life, it helps us "helpers" on the forum because we will have less recurring questions.
I didn't read wiiu/3ds guides, but I felt this on the reinx guide.

Stuff you do aren't explained with enough detail to be the thing the guide says it is (a guide that teaches people why they do a thing).

It doesn't even explain how "010000000000100D.zip" was created (you build nx-hbloader, rename files, put them in folder with the titleid for album, put that folder in "Atmosphere/titles" or "ReiNX/titles" or "RajNX/titles", loader.kip loads them on boot), or why you need it, or what it does exactly.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree, there are still things not explained, there are also a lot of questions users could have, like "what you need" doesn't mention any switch firmware version. if you need to do dns or anything else to protect from updating.
It just suppose you already did a full clean NAND backup with hekate too. Actually, no, it doesn't suppose you did, it just skip it, and following the guide right away from a never hacked console is not a good idea, you'll log your firmware with hacks.

it covers reinx install, not switch hack.
I think it could benefit to put that information at the beginning of the guide. following the guide without a good preparation is not advised. It has a nand dump step, but it's already too late if it's the first time hacking the console.
It also mention that the user can update without problem, without providing information first (it's located after, not before). Users should decide what they want to do, and not being told to do it, unless they don't want.

I think this is a common issue when writing a guide, we have our own vision how we want users to do it, but we miss the global vision of other possibilities.
I would add a section "things to know before starting", explaining what eFuse are, AutoRCM, why would people want to stay on an old version, making NAND backup on a specific eFuse number can't be restored after updating !!!

One big mistake : the guide starts by making a NAND backup... then tell the user to update the system :/
the backup became useless on the same page of the guide.

I guess I should post that on the guide's official thread. it would help everyone.
I know we want guides to be available as soon as possible, but then if there's an error it's stressful to update them before anyone do something wrong.

Last edited by Cyan,

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read wiiu/3ds guides, but I felt this on the reinx guide.

Stuff you do aren't explained with enough detail to be the thing the guide says it is (a guide that teaches people why they do a thing).

It doesn't even explain how "010000000000100D.zip" was created (you build nx-hbloader, rename files, put them in folder with the titleid for album, put that folder in "Atmosphere/titles" or "ReiNX/titles" or "RajNX/titles", loader.kip loads them on boot), or why you need it, or what it does exactly.
I cant think of a simple way to explain that that file is the replacement for album that loads homebrew menu off the sd.. actually i guess thats simple enough. lol. Theres no easy way to explain LFS in general tho..

Saintseiya911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid noobie question after I inject my payload and boot into cfw is it ok to use in my dock to play games on my TV as I updated my reinx to this new release and also keep up the great work as I prefer reinx over anything else

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I cant think of a simple way to explain that that file is the replacement for album that loads homebrew menu off the sd.. actually i guess thats simple enough. lol. Theres no easy way to explain LFS in general tho..
Eh, loader is not lfs, and loader is pmuch that ("the replacement for album that loads homebrew menu off the sd"). Wouldn't hurt to include that.

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid noobie question after I inject my payload and boot into cfw is it ok to use in my dock to play games on my TV as I updated my reinx to this new release and also keep up the great work as I prefer reinx over anything else
hell yeah, once youre running reinx you can use your switch as normal

there are some issues with homebrew and docking/undocked as far as im aware though, but games should be a-ok

Reactions: Saintseiya911

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe just explain that this folder reproduce the console's system file hierarchy.
Files located on that folder are loaded from SD card instead of their counterpart on the console. It allows replacing system files without editing the console's internal files ?
By creating a homebrew and renaming the file with the same filename than the internal album module filename, the console launches that homebrew instead of the original album.

at least, that's what I understood. It's like Riivolution, redirecting files on the fly.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Saintseiya911

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe just explain that this folder reproduce the console's system file hierarchy.
files located on that folder are loaded from that location instead of the one on the console. It allows replacing system files without editing the console's internal files ?
By creating a homebrew and renaming the file with the same filename than the internal album module filename, the console launches that homebrew instead of the original album.

at least, that's what I understood. It's like Riivolution, redirecting files on the fly.

i'm no expert, but why are you making this so complicated=
this is needed in folder so and so to get access to homebrew menu is really all anyone needs to know about this.

Reactions: Kilim

Saintseiya911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hell yeah, once youre running reinx you can use your switch as normal

there are some issues with homebrew and docking/undocked as far as im aware though, but games should be a-ok

Thanks kilim for the info and can't wait to hear about what the team is working on next

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies