Hacking ReiNand boot into blackscreen

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
me and my friend each put ReiNand on our New 3ds I stopped updating because I was lazy but my friend kept updating because well it was save. Never encountered any problem with it. This week he contactet me that after an update his 3ds boots into a blackscreen and the Home Menu won't load. Any idea how we could fix this? is this even know? We hacked our 3ds more than months ago if not half a year or so.
Any advice on what we could do? He'll come over tomorrow so we can try to fix his 3ds. Though first I will see if he can still boot into sysnand.

Thanks in advance

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
me and my friend each put ReiNand on our New 3ds I stopped updating because I was lazy but my friend kept updating because well it was save. Never encountered any problem with it. This week he contactet me that after an update his 3ds boots into a blackscreen and the Home Menu won't load. Any idea how we could fix this? is this even know? We hacked our 3ds more than months ago if not half a year or so.
Any advice on what we could do? He'll come over tomorrow so we can try to fix his 3ds. Though first I will see if he can still boot into sysnand.

Thanks in advance

Guessing you're using menuHAX, update to B9S using this guide.

https://3ds.guide

Just uninstall everything (Make sure to make a backup of Emunand with Hourglass9) to make sure you get a fresh system to start with.

If you are using A9LH...update to Luma3DS and use this guide.

https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Last edited by Skyshadow101,

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guessing you're using menuHAX, update to B9S using this guide.

3ds.guide

Just uninstall everything (Make sure to make a backup of Emunand with Hourglass9) to make sure you get a fresh system to start with.

If you are using A9LH...update to Luma3DS and use this guide.

https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Thx for your answer seems like your first link didn't come through though. Not quite sure if I used a9lh for him. Much appreciated if you upload a link to the other guide in case you wanted to link 2 different ones.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Update to a more up-to-date CFW.
ReiNAND is an up to date CFW, there is no reason to suggest another CFW over ReiNAND when it's still active. As well the OP is most likely still running A9LH, which means they need to update to B9S in order to use any of the current CFWs. So a better suggestion would be suggest updating B9S using the Guide, then using my post on the ReiNAND thread to setting up ReiNAND on B9S 1.2. This way the OP can continue to use ReiNAND if they choose.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah, I didn't know that Reinand had B9S support! I might switch to it later, just for nostalgia. :P

@OP I fixed the link.

You probably installed A9LH. When you get the chance, look on his SD card and see if there is a arm9loaderhax.bin file, you installed A9LH.

Last edited by Skyshadow101,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For beign someone who constantly complains about toxic and bashing people you jumped too quick to bash the guy assuming he was beign a dick to ReiNAND...
At no point did I bash them. I pointed out that there was no reason to call a project out of date when it's clearly active. Then suggested that they help the OP with an active project. It's shorthand, but nonetheless wasn't a toxic comment.
If you would like, I can add more into my comment. I made it through my phone at the time.
Edited to be less terrible.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I did not tell him to switch CFWs. I just told him to get an updated CFW whatever it may be.
Sorry if I came off as rude or implied anything. It's rather hard to distinguish the tone of comments these days.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone got an idea?
I tried following the guide but Luma showed that always showed up when I booted the 3ds. I messed with the files on the 3ds to try to revert some changes. Now I don't have any backup files and the 3ds won't boot with or without an sd card.
when trying to boot the screen won't turn on and the power LED just turns on and immediatly off within a second.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyone got an idea?
I tried following the guide but Luma showed that always showed up when I booted the 3ds. I messed with the files on the 3ds to try to revert some changes. Now I don't have any backup files and the 3ds won't boot with or without an sd card.
when trying to boot the screen won't turn on and the power LED just turns on and immediatly off within a second.
You need to have the boot.firm in the root of your SD card, otherwise the system just turns off.
For ReiNAND, you just need to download the build from my post here and firmware.bin from the ReiNAND repo (which you find in the folder named "Data" on the Repo.) Then place the firmware.bin into the /rei folder.

Reactions: stl25

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sadly it still won't turn on. it feels like I've tried everything I could think of and yet it refuses to come back to life, I think I messed up. Any idea why it won't even boot without sd card? right now the 3ds is as useful as a brick T_T

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
sadly it still won't turn on. it feels like I've tried everything I could think of and yet it refuses to come back to life, I think I messed up. Any idea why it won't even boot without sd card? right now the 3ds is as useful as a brick T_T
If you are running B9S, that's normal. B9S will not boot without the boot.firm being present (either on the SD card or CTRNAND.) This was the same with A9LH.
But what is actually happening and what are you running on that system right now?
OFW?
Entrypoint?

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you are running B9S, that's normal. B9S will not boot without the boot.firm being present (either on the SD card or CTRNAND.) This was the same with A9LH.
But what is actually happening and what are you running on that system right now?
OFW?
Entrypoint?

I'll give you a rundown of what I did.

His New3ds was using reinand + menuhax without a9lh I think its from the time where a9lh was just coming up. Or I didn't knew about it ^^'
As for whats happening: I press the power button to turn on the 3ds. The backlight of both screens stay turned off. Only the power LED lights up for about a second and then turns itself off again.
I followed the suggested guide (not a9hl to b9s) but basically the fresh start.
As his 3ds couldn't even boot into homebrew anymore from the purple boot entry screen.
Everything worked fine. I used the soundapp to get into homebrew from sysnand.
I got into the luma 3ds configuration menu and after the selection I got an error but in the guide it said to just continue.
I continued and followed the guide of finalzing the setup but when I tried to boot the 3ds it still showed the error. (example from google: https://gbatemp.net/attachments/unnamed-jpg.82969/)
I then tried to redo some steps and now it won't boot at all despite all necessary data is there.

Is it possible to use a different sd card to boot it? (with a proper setup)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll give you a rundown of what I did.

His New3ds was using reinand + menuhax without a9lh I think its from the time where a9lh was just coming up. Or I didn't knew about it ^^'
As for whats happening: I press the power button to turn on the 3ds. The backlight of both screens stay turned off. Only the power LED lights up for about a second and then turns itself off again.
I followed the suggested guide (not a9hl to b9s) but basically the fresh start.
As his 3ds couldn't even boot into homebrew anymore from the purple boot entry screen.
Everything worked fine. I used the soundapp to get into homebrew from sysnand.
I got into the luma 3ds configuration menu and after the selection I got an error but in the guide it said to just continue.
I continued and followed the guide of finalzing the setup but when I tried to boot the 3ds it still showed the error. (example from google: https://gbatemp.net/attachments/unnamed-jpg.82969/)
I then tried to redo some steps and now it won't boot at all despite all necessary data is there.

Is it possible to use a different sd card to boot it? (with a proper setup)
What is the OFW currently running on the system? And it boots just fine with Luma, is that correct?

holymario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What is the OFW currently running on the system? And it boots just fine with Luma, is that correct?
I guess OFW stands for Original firmware? so sysnand? it was 9.2 20E
As for the booting: The 3ds won't boot. At all. it doesn't matter how I try to boot it. I tried to boot without and with sd. Recovery boot doesn't work either. Its always the same:
I press the power button. the power LED turns on for half a second and fades out. Nothing else happens.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I guess OFW stands for Original firmware? so sysnand? it was 9.2 20E
As for the booting: The 3ds won't boot. At all. it doesn't matter how I try to boot it. I tried to boot without and with sd. Recovery boot doesn't work either. Its always the same:
I press the power button. the power LED turns on for half a second and fades out. Nothing else happens.
Wait a minute~
Try booting Luma3DS. If you are using ReiNAND with the firmware.bin from the repo, it won't boot 9.2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?