Hacking Region changing question

Rhymekaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright.. So I'm trying to make the Fates DLC work in concurrence with the Spider exploit so I can throw out a broken My Castle.

I have a 9.9.0-U emuNand, 9.9.0-J .cias in a folder, a backup of my original secureinfo_a and a secureinfo_a from a Japanese console.

I install the .cias, in batch, using devmenu.cia, reboot my system into rxTools menu, inject the Japanese secureinfo_a and reboot into emunand.

My system settings is now 9.9.0-J, and I have all Japanese across the board. DLC works.

However, the issue is here: Friendslist, Miiverse, Web Browser (! important since Spider is a goal) hang on return to home menu.

Is there any known workaround to hanging on return to the home menu? I've scrolled through all of the emuNand region change threads I can find but I can't find anything addressing this, just people whining about eshop not working.

Do I need to version spoof the system .cias or something? I know in DevMenu when I'm installing it skips a handful because they already exist, would throwing a + into version number on 3DSNUS do what I'm looking for? I imagine this would make the return to -U painful since then I'd need to increase the version number again.

Thanks.

edit: Upon crosschecking my list with ninUpdates..
I noticed NATIVE_FIRM errors out because it already exists. I imagine this could be why it hangs, but I have no idea how to go about remedying it.

Last edited by Rhymekaze,

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
what did you region changed? emunand or sysnand?

I've encountered this a few moments ago and a simple format fixed the hang/freeze returning to home from browser, and don't forget to delete the duplicate apps

BTW I also region changed my sysnand from USA to JPN

Rhymekaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what did you region changed? emunand or sysnand?

I've encountered this a few moments ago and a simple format fixed the hang/freeze returning to home from browser, and don't forget to delete the duplicate apps

BTW I also region changed my sysnand from USA to JPN

emuNand. I messed with sysNand and got myself a nice brick so I'm avoiding that from now on.

Is there a way to repair this without formatting? I'm trying to not get a new Friend Code and readd people every other day, though I guess I could just back up these two emuNands and flash between them? or would I lose saves in this process? I also need to reconfigure MSET every time I format which could get real tedious..

I did not delete the old .cias as I read up that they'd have no effect, but if that's the issue and a fix without reformatting I'll make a little bit more work for myself.

Does TinyFormat work if I absolutely need to format?

Last edited by Rhymekaze,

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
when I region changed mine I can't even run rxtools or any CFW since it keep hanging when returning to home, so I reformatted via system settings and I can finally run a cfw and delete the left over CIA

in you case if you can delete the leftover cia try deleting them first if it fixes your problem, if not try formatting your emunand via system settings

Rhymekaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deleting old titles didn't fix, formatting did.

Unfortunately, this is a shoddy fix as I want the ability to freely regionswitch whenever since I actively jump between playing JPN-Region games and USA-Region games, and you can't use DLC for either of these without your emuNand being on that respective region.

Is there some easy way to do this without losing FCs/installed .cias/etc that I'm missing? Reinstalling each time I format is a huge timesink.

I think the biggest problem is every guide has the intent of sticking on your new region while I'm aiming to freely jump from one to another.

I found this post and while it is for an N3DS I believe the same issue occurs.. although it looks like here deleting .cias fixed it and reformatting was only to sweep up the menu. Granted I did not use BRM to delete, I used FBI, so maybe I'll give that a go.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Deleting old titles didn't fix, formatting did.

Unfortunately, this is a shoddy fix as I want the ability to freely regionswitch whenever since I actively jump between playing JPN-Region games and USA-Region games, and you can't use DLC for either of these without your emuNand being on that respective region.

Is there some easy way to do this without losing FCs/installed .cias/etc that I'm missing? Reinstalling each time I format is a huge timesink.

I think the biggest problem is every guide has the intent of sticking on your new region while I'm aiming to freely jump from one to another.

I found this post and while it is for an N3DS I believe the same issue occurs.. although it looks like here deleting .cias fixed it and reformatting was only to sweep up the menu. Granted I did not use BRM to delete, I used FBI, so maybe I'll give that a go.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. There is still region specific data on your 3DS like your NNID, eShop data and so on. That's why a format is required.
What you can do is use two SD cards, one for each region.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
without losing FCs/installed .cias/etc
Hold the phone... last I checked DLCs were only an issue if you were buying them. If you're using CIAs it should become irrelevant, no?
I very much recall installing a JP game update as CIA onto a US NAND.

Rhymekaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. There is still region specific data on your 3DS like your NNID, eShop data and so on. That's why a format is required.
What you can do is use two SD cards, one for each region.

Required is debatable, I think. I can switch between the two pretty freely but when I start wanting to use Spider exploits on DLC is when stuff starts breaking because it hangs on the way back to the homescreen. Like, I can play the DLC, but I can't exploit it.

This is a clean format on JPN so there's no NNID, eShop, or anything like that and everything is good, but if I go from JP to EN it does the same thing. Except backwards from what I posted in the OP. I'm sure there's a way to do this.. at least halfway.

Even if I did lose access to NNID/Miiverse/eShop when on the off-region, that'd be negligible at worst since I have yet to ever set any of those up on emuNand.

Not sure if this matters at all but I noticed even though I deleted all 'xxxe' files, it still showed 'Internet Browser' versus the Japanese splash you see on a clean reformat (or even just with a secureinfo_a flash). At some point while deleting stuff, it hung when opening the browser instead of closing. Once in, 'internet' on the wireless status bar switches to.. well, internet versus the Japanese label.

This is strange because I've deleted the USA browser and home menu (trying to pick my way through what's causing the hang), so I have negative idea where it's pulling this from.

Hold the phone... last I checked DLCs were only an issue if you were buying them. If you're using CIAs it should become irrelevant, no?
I very much recall installing a JP game update as CIA onto a US NAND.

Nope, and this is part of the reason I'm trying to get this functioning. Can't exploit the third path of Fates because of DLC .cias not working on off-region NAND.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, and this is part of the reason I'm trying to get this functioning. Can't exploit the third path of Fates because of DLC .cias not working on off-region NAND.
Well, an on-the-fly switch setup is definitely unfeasible if not impossible to do properly. All I can think of is:
  1. Multiple EmuNANDs which are doable with tools but probably require modification of launcher source code to boot.
  2. Multiple SD cards as stated prior, which is basically the above with more hassle but less source code
  3. Using SysNAND for USA and EmuNAND for JPN or vice versa, which takes one out of the picture for normal use but could work depending. Considering 9.9 this is o3DS territory and thus things like Cubic Ninja region are not in play, so this is at least theoretically doable...

Rhymekaze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, an on-the-fly switch setup is definitely unfeasible if not impossible to do properly. All I can think of is:
  1. Multiple EmuNANDs which are doable with tools but probably require modification of launcher source code to boot.
  2. Multiple SD cards as stated prior, which is basically the above with more hassle but less source code
  3. Using SysNAND for USA and EmuNAND for JPN or vice versa, which takes one out of the picture for normal use but could work depending. Considering 9.9 this is o3DS territory and thus things like Cubic Ninja region are not in play, so this is at least theoretically doable...
'properly' is in the details, 'functioning' is more what I'm aiming for. I have a 32GB SD card so I'd be down for doing multiple emuNands, but I don't think I've seen a way to do this on rxTools. I'd be down for keeping them linked if that makes the process easier. Or harder. Linked sounds better for emunands regardless.

Dean_

Trophies
XP
Country
You may have to install a higher version than now even if they are of different region.
And after region changing, system format must be done.

If you don't want to do format, after installing foreign cias extract nand partition, and delete all folders in /data/sysdata.

Last edited by Dean_,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)