rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Treeki said:
So anyway, hopefully I can get the thread back on topic. Here's an update!

We've taken a temporary break for a few days; both for New Years and because we just need it. I've been working non-stop on NSMB since mid-November.

We've all been working on creating levels with the editor in order to stress test it. I was originally aiming to release on the first, but obviously that didn't happen.
frown.gif
However, we've found quite a few bugs in it, which we're fixing (and finishing up the features we were working on).

So how's it coming? We're not as finished as we thought we were. No release date (there won't be one until we're very close to it) but I'm just letting you know how progress is going.

Some troll came into the IRC channel earlier to complain about how Reggie was supposedly "vapourware".
tongue.gif
For those of you who think that: keep in mind that it's not easy to reverse engineer a Wii game's level format and develop a full, usable level editor for it. Making something that works well takes time - it's been less than 2 months since we started the project.

To give you an idea about the scale of it: right now there are 6130 lines of code in my copy of Reggie. Tempus's working copy has about 800 more due to one of the features which he's been working on. (We haven't merged that feature into my copy yet.) And the C extension module which speeds up level loads is about 250 lines of code.

Sure, a barebones editor would have been easy to make and have been done far quicker. But our goal isn't to make something crappy and get it out quickly - I learned that the hard way back in 2007 when I made a basic editor for NSMB DS. Reggie! has a lot of features and shortcuts geared just towards making editing easier and more intuitive. It even has documentation describing the structure of the editor and how to use it.

I'm working on it again now, and I really want to release it as soon as possible - but I don't want to release it until it's complete. You can know that it will be pretty awesome though.
biggrin.gif
This sounds fcking awesome. There's nothing better I can say, except that I'm impatient to see Reggie! out and give it a try (once I have my NSMB Wii disc dumped).

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys, I think tossing a few treats your way would be nice. You'll need to use WiiScrubber to give these a playthrough. (Replace 1-01 - 1-03 in the retail game.) Treeki mentioned that we've been working on a few levels to stress test Reggie. These are the ones I have been making.

1-01 - Originally Nintendo's 2-Coin, but with an unused underground area added in. The entrance is a little further down than in NES 1-1 so that you don't skip most of the level. Adjustments were made to make the level more enjoyable for a single-player experience instead of just Coin Battle.

1-02 - Underground was created fully from scratch, and then Treeki added in the above-ground using the original 1-02 as a base. The level is based on NES 1-2. See if you can find all of the secrets.

1-03 - Using 1-05 as a base, I recreated NES 1-3 using a mix of mushrooms and cliffs. In addition to the three star coins, there's a secret exit here.

Treeki also did a level that showcases some clever ways to make stages reminiscent of Yoshi's Island. I'll let him post that one, though.

Here's some technical talk about my levels.

--Event Controllers Used--
1-01 - 38 - Location Based (May require enemies to be beaten), 43 - Orange ? Switch in a Brick Block.
1-02 - 38 - Location Based (May require enemies to be beaten), 32 - Star Coin (Collection of), 37 - Chainer (If X, then do Y), 156 - Red Coin Ring
1-03 - 33 - Location Based (May require standing on something to activate), Zone Enter (When you enter the zone, this goes off), 37 - Chainer ("If X, then do Y"), 34 - Conditional (If X AND Y, do Z), 39 - Multi-Chainer (If X, then do Y THROUGH Z)

--Events Used--
1-01 - 191 - Tile God (Create), 149 - Rotation Controller - Spinning
1-02 - 191 - Tile God (Create, Destroy), 149 - Rotation Controller - Spinning, 144 - Red Coin
1-03 - 191 - Tile God (Create, Destroy), 149 - Rotation Controller - Spinning

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TobiasAmaranth said:
Alright guys, I think tossing a few treats your way would be nice. You'll need to use WiiScrubber to give these a playthrough. (Replace 1-01 - 1-03 in the retail game.) Treeki mentioned that we've been working on a few levels to stress test Reggie. These are the ones I have been making.

1-01 - Originally Nintendo's 2-Coin, but with an unused underground area added in. The entrance is a little further down than in NES 1-1 so that you don't skip most of the level. Adjustments were made to make the level more enjoyable for a single-player experience instead of just Coin Battle.

1-02 - Underground was created fully from scratch, and then Treeki added in the above-ground using the original 1-02 as a base. The level is based on NES 1-2. See if you can find all of the secrets.

1-03 - Using 1-05 as a base, I recreated NES 1-3 using a mix of mushrooms and cliffs. In addition to the three star coins, there's a secret exit here.

Treeki also did a level that showcases some clever ways to make stages reminiscent of Yoshi's Island. I'll let him post that one, though.

1-01 - 38 - Location Based (May require enemies to be beaten), 43 - Orange ? Switch in a Brick Block.
1-02 - 38 - Location Based (May require enemies to be beaten), 32 - Star Coin (Collection of), 37 - Chainer (If X, then do Y), 156 - Red Coin Ring
1-03 - 33 - Location Based (May require standing on something to activate), Zone Enter (When you enter the zone, this goes off), 37 - Chainer ("If X, then do Y"), 34 - Conditional (If X AND Y, do Z), 39 - Multi-Chainer (If X, then do Y THROUGH Z)

--Events Used--
1-02 - 191 - Tile God (Create, Destroy), 149 - Rotation Controller - Spinning, 144 - Red Coin
You'll probably have to remove the link's to the files as I think they are not allowed as they'll contain Nintendo code

WiiFan2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update! I'm excited about this!

But, I've got LittleBigPlanet to hold me off until release. LBP's level creator stunned me, in terms of being able to do almost anything! You can even make invisible platforms with Dark Matter. You know, its funny, we HAVE dark matter in our universe.

Anyway, back on topic!

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
You'll probably have to remove the link's to the files as I think they are not allowed as they'll contain Nintendo code

Judging from a discussion earlier in this topic, there's nothing specifically wrong with posting these files, legally.

QUOTE(GolfDude @ Jan 2 2010, 04:29 PM) the game wont load in a usb loader, but works in dolphin with the hacked level.. odd

If you use Wii-Scrubber, [DOESN'T WORK, SEE BELOW] make sure you have a clean ISO, and I recommend using rev 14 with Neogamma 7 or 8. Also, if you are crashing trying to load the world map (single player) then try using multiplayer and track down which stage is crashing. We're trying to figure out what breaks the game (It's something to do with WiiScrubber, our alternate method should be able to get around this issue)

Edit: Okay so, even my copy doesn't work for some reason. I suggest loading in a stage at a time, replacing 1-02. There's something with Wii Scrubber that totally fubars it.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pretty hard levels, TobiasAmaranth. :D
Especially when you're thinking that most will be like back in SMB1 times. 01-01 was the best in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Btw, patched ISO worked with WiiFlow, NeoGamma and cLoader. All, which I tested. So Trucha Signer is the way to go.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
i just used wiiscrubber replaced the stage arc's and all loaded great didnt need trucha signer

jmlsteele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Used Trucha signer, replaced all 3. Second time play 1-1 there was no music, and eventually (when I got the star) the game froze. First time through on all of the levels worked fine, and they are excellent levels
biggrin.gif

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
longtom1 said:
TobiasAmaranth said:

--Events Used--
They don't. They just contain the level header and bgdat files, aka level definiton. No code within that.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Well, anyway, here's another update.

I'm working on a cool new feature: you will be able to add metadata to your levels (name, author, comments, etc). The game will ignore it, but Reggie will be able to load/save it.

I'm also looking into a way to add comments to your in-game objects and have them preserved within the level file, which would be useful for the more complicated event structures and such.

I could implement level locking fairly easily using this method as well (so released levels couldn't be viewed and edited) - but what would be the point? Reggie will be open source, so the method could easily be discovered and removed. And Wart and Tanooki can view some parts of levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol