Reggie Fils-Aime comments on the status of the 3DS

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
Third parties barely ever put any faith on nintendo.

but seriously, they havent done any BIG MISTAKE by not releasing some of their first party stuff. That WOULD have made a difference, but woudnt keep things steady.

There's a reason for their lack of faith.

Nintendo has engineered their systems so that they're alienated from the others and it seems most any solid third party offering will flop. When the best selling third party games on the Wii are crap like Just Dance, you know something is wrong. Fantastic titles like MadWorld, Dead Space Extraction, HotD: Overkill, etc, they all flopped.

On the other hand, third party devs have found much higher success with "hardcore" games on other consoles. Nintendo has done nothing to convince them that they're like the others. They're too busy trying to push Mario and Zelda as a brand further than making an open console. I fear they've already dug their reputation too deep as the "casual, underpowered" one in the lot of video game consoles that third parties will just begin diverting to Sony and Microsoft even more.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Guild McCommunist said:
Tanveer said:

but seriously, they havent done any BIG MISTAKE by not releasing some of their first party stuff. That WOULD have made a difference, but woudnt keep things steady.

Nintendo has engineered their systems so that they're alienated from the others and it seems most any solid third party offering will flop. When the best selling third party games on the Wii are crap like Just Dance, you know something is wrong. Fantastic titles like MadWorld, Dead Space Extraction, HotD: Overkill, etc, they all flopped.

On the other hand, third party devs have found much higher success with "hardcore" games on other consoles. Nintendo has done nothing to convince them that they're like the others. They're too busy trying to push Mario and Zelda as a brand further than making an open console. I fear they've already dug their reputation too deep as the "casual, underpowered" one in the lot of video game consoles that third parties will just begin diverting to Sony and Microsoft even more.
I really have to agree with EVERYTHING you've said.

I think it's a little too late for them to divert to 'more hardcore' games now. The Wii U, said to have some of them, is next gen.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
heartgold said:
Does the third party seriously think by delaying and cancelling games will help improve the console sales? Nintendo gave them the chance, they screwed up. The poor sales are mostly because the lack of games available to the consumers. Will people seriously buy a console with hardly any games for it? This is Nintendo's fault they shouldn't have put faith on the third party instead they should have got their AAA titles ready for launch.

Third parties haven't exactly put faith in Nintendo either. After the whole Wii debacle I don't think that a lot of third parties will be flocking to another Nintendo system unless they're making crappy casual games. I'm sure we don't need a "Just Dance 3D".

I'm just thinking Nintendo should've designed a better system in general.

What about gamecube or even the N64? PS1/PS2 ended up getting superior titles, what stopped the third party making a huge amount of good titles for those systems instead of Sony's?

They weren't graphically bad compared to their competitors like the Wii.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
Guild McCommunist said:
heartgold said:
Does the third party seriously think by delaying and cancelling games will help improve the console sales? Nintendo gave them the chance, they screwed up. The poor sales are mostly because the lack of games available to the consumers. Will people seriously buy a console with hardly any games for it? This is Nintendo's fault they shouldn't have put faith on the third party instead they should have got their AAA titles ready for launch.

Third parties haven't exactly put faith in Nintendo either. After the whole Wii debacle I don't think that a lot of third parties will be flocking to another Nintendo system unless they're making crappy casual games. I'm sure we don't need a "Just Dance 3D".

I'm just thinking Nintendo should've designed a better system in general.

What about gamecube or even the N64? PS1/PS2 ended up getting superior titles, what stopped the third party making a huge amount of good titles for those systems instead of Sony's?

The market has changed since then. Developers now know that the true profit lies in the FPS or the casual market, and in both cases they know that no matter how half-arsed the games are people will buy them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:

It was hardware. The PSX had more storage space and could support larger games and prerendered cutscenes. The Gamecube storage size per disc was almost half that of a PS2 or Xbox disc. They engineered their systems to be fine for their games but it basically killed a lot of third parties. It's why we haven't seen a main series Final Fantasy game for a Nintendo console since FFVI.

The PSX and PS2 were also awesome consoles that were pushed with new IPs and, at the time, great new functions (online gaming, DVD playback).

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
heartgold said:

It was hardware. The PSX had more storage space and could support larger games and prerendered cutscenes. The Gamecube storage size per disc was almost half that of a PS2 or Xbox disc. They engineered their systems to be fine for their games but it basically killed a lot of third parties. It's why we haven't seen a main series Final Fantasy game for a Nintendo console since FFVI.

The PSX and PS2 were also awesome consoles that were pushed with new IPs and, at the time, great new functions (online gaming, DVD playback).
I know this is slightly off topic, but it's PS1, PSX was a DVR.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think when people pre-ordered the 3DS's they were expecting all the big first party titles, like Mario Kart, Super Mario Land, Zelda, etc etc, to be launch titles. I figured they would at least release their Super Mario game as a launch title like they had with the DS, the GBA, GB, N64, SNES, and the NES. Seriously most of Nintendo's console launches have been pretty dependent on it.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
suprgamr232 said:
I think when people pre-ordered the 3DS's they were expecting all the big first party titles, like Mario Kart, Super Mario Land, Zelda, etc etc, to be launch titles. I figured they would at least release their Super Mario game as a launch title like they had with the DS, the GBA, GB, N64, SNES, and the NES. Seriously most of Nintendo's console launches have been pretty dependent on it.
I'm pretty sure most people either knew about the lineup or thought that it was another DS.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
heartgold said:

Oh I see, the storage space does make a difference.
tongue.gif

It's a shame Nintendo is making weaker hardware, using 5 years old tech in their products and calling it next gen. XD

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
Tanveer said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. But 3DS has the same flaws and I wonder how much of a difference they can make it from this stage on.

With the WiiU they are trying to go "hardcore", but they have not changed their native way.. "look, look, look at my big fat iPad looking controller, which is just waiting to be sued by apple"

I am not a big fan of the Wii mote either when it came down to a lot of games, but hey it worked. Yes, they had the classic controller, but still.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
I agree with pretty much everything you said. But 3DS has the same flaws and I wonder how much of a difference they can make it from this stage on.

With the WiiU they are trying to go "hardcore", but they have not changed their native way.. "look, look, look at my big fat iPad looking controller, which is just waiting to be sued by apple"

I am not a big fan of the Wii mote either when it came down to a lot of games, but hey it worked. Yes, they had the classic controller, but still.

The Wiimote became more of an unnecessary annoyance than a "natural progression". Games that were designed around it could (and have) worked pretty well. Any other game that just wanted to play with your classic control scheme though was forced to use a bunch of useless motion controls since it seems like a Wiimote option is a necessity (not everyone owns classic controllers or Gamecube controllers) and they often suck. Even Nintendo has had to put useless motion controls on their games (see Super Mario Galaxy/2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc).

It hasn't been a matter of Nintendo offering a logical, natural step up in the evolution of gaming, but trying weird ideas that often alienate people from making good old games like they should be played.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Tanveer said:

Well my best case scenario is that they scrap the 3DS and make a newer, better, stronger version, but I doubt that'd ever happen.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
After reading all of this, I wonder why am I such a Pokemon addict. O_O

Nintendo really needs to stop their 'innovation in consoles' and change to what majority gamers what.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:

Nintendo really needs to stop their 'innovation in consoles' and change to what majority gamers what.
That's what they have been doing, the majority of gamers are casual, and thus the DS and Wii were a safe haven for both them and developers alike, hence why there was such a surplus of shovelware.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
machomuu said:
chris888222 said:

That's what they have been doing, the majority of gamers are casual, and thus the DS and Wii were a safe haven for both them and developers alike, hence why there was such a surplus of shovelware.
What I actually meant was like - more powerful hardware or simpler controllers. Rather than full motion control and no dual stick...

Up till now I still have problems learning how to control with the Wiimote.

You can have a ton of casual games with duo stick controllers. It need not be THAT 'unique'. But that's just me.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
Honestly then you do something wrong.
The simple controll is one point that makes it so attractive to people that don´t play that often video games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
QUOTE said:
Honestly then you do something wrong.
The simple controll is one point that makes it so attractive to people that don´t play that often video games.

It's a pain in the ass trying to play any game that isn't intended to use the Wiimote with a Wiimote. Tons of games are essentially shoehorned into Wiimote controls because it seems like the only way of getting the game onto the Wii.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
Tanveer said:

The Wiimote became more of an unnecessary annoyance than a "natural progression". Games that were designed around it could (and have) worked pretty well. Any other game that just wanted to play with your classic control scheme though was forced to use a bunch of useless motion controls since it seems like a Wiimote option is a necessity (not everyone owns classic controllers or Gamecube controllers) and they often suck. Even Nintendo has had to put useless motion controls on their games (see Super Mario Galaxy/2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc).

It hasn't been a matter of Nintendo offering a logical, natural step up in the evolution of gaming, but trying weird ideas that often alienate people from making good old games like they should be played.
Then they need to stop doing that if they want to last in the Video Games industry.
How long are they simply planning on relying with their few first party stuff. "Mario, Zelda, Pokemon"

I am a pokefreak.. or used to be. I will still play pokemon, but I wish there is an end to it.
Mario.. it just makes me feel tired "oh great, another mario game".
Just the thought counts. I am not even sure if I will get Mario Kart 7(3DS).

Not saying their first party sucks, but vary it up, will ya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    bruh
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys how do i delete a post
    you don't
    you can report it and request deletion
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last