Hardware Redundancy psu

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having no luck in finding one seperate but I was looking into another PC build and the one the seller says it's a "double redundancy psu 650w" What exactly is a double redundant psu and why in a gaming pc would you choose one over a regular PSU?

D

Deleted User

From a google search on wikipedia

"In engineering, redundancy is the duplication of critical components or functions of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the system, usually in the form of a backup or fail-safe, or to improve actual system performance, such as in the case of GNSS receivers, or multi-threaded computer processing."

So basically, fail safe and system performance

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is usually something I see in servers, and maybe workstation class rigs about 10 years ago.

The idea is if one power supply goes pop there is another there to take up the slack.

Completely pointless for a consumer setup, and probably for most workstations as well (especially these days if you have some kind of autosave and SAN/NAS type setup for storage, if not outright virtualised). Essential in servers though.

The main power supply failure you get as a consumer is your power for your house failing so get a UPS if you don't want that issue.

Edit. I only had a quick scan but did not see it on the motherboard listings. It is possible to parallel them up though so it might be that.

Last edited by FAST6191,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol +1