• Likes 4

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, display its gonna be 900p at the most xD
Forget the reddit post. I am translating the original post in Chinese right now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

4g. Dock doesn't even provide power boost. This is just a handheld, but comparable to xbox one.

Also the unit in the video is not final.

Reactions: huma_dawii

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also seems to have some sort of egpu option. Guess @TheDarkGreninja is correct.
Or a dev unit.

Yan-Tai, Shandong Foxconn is currently occupied with NX production. To bad I had no friend there.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not see there being a 4G model. that right there is the biggest red flag to me. I don't see the point. Wi fi is all you need, most of us have smartphones so if we need 4g when there is no wifi we just turn our phone into a wifi hotspot. That's one of the main reasons that the 3G Vita didn't sell nearly as well as the just WiFi version, that and the fact that it was 3G right when 4G was becoming the standard.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do not see there being a 4G model. that right there is the biggest red flag to me. I don't see the point. Wi fi is all you need, most of us have smartphones so if we need 4g when there is no wifi we just turn our phone into a wifi hotspot. That's one of the main reasons that the 3G Vita didn't sell nearly as well as the just WiFi version, that and the fact that it was 3G right when 4G was becoming the standard.
Well if the op of that post is an actual employee then it is confirmed it's a 4G model. 5G is a long way ahead.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the op of that post is an actual employee then it is confirmed it's a 4G model. 5G is a long way ahead.

No what I'm saying is it makes no sense for their to be any mobile network connection in the device, doesn't matter if its 3G, 4G, 20G. If it's just wifi, that's all you'll need because you'll always be able to turn your smartphone into a mobile hotspot no matter what mobile network its receiving. Hence why I'm saying that's a red flag. Nintendo wouldn't waste time and resources on an exclusisve version of the console that only has a feature that isn't even needed, few would pay the extra money for that extra "feature".

So I'm saying that the OP in that thread is not an actual employee, despite his claim that he is. There are some things that he's said that I wish were true, but its clear that his claims are just those of a fan that doesn't actually know any more than you or I at this point.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No what I'm saying is it makes no sense for their to be any mobile network connection in the device, doesn't matter if its 3G, 4G, 20G. If it's just wifi, that's all you'll need because you'll always be able to turn your smartphone into a mobile hotspot no matter what mobile network its receiving. Hence why I'm saying that's a red flag. Nintendo wouldn't waste time and resources on an exclusisve version of the console that only has a feature that isn't even needed, few would pay the extra money for that extra "feature".

So I'm saying that the OP in that thread is not an actual employee, despite his claim that he is. There are some things that he's said that I wish were true, but its clear that his claims are just those of a fan that doesn't actually know any more than you or I at this point.
@Xzi Actually that op isn't too sure if that is 1080p. Just very stable frame rate and less than superb coating, or maybe that is after production.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi Actually that op isn't too sure if that is 1080p. Just very stable frame rate and less than superb coating, or maybe that is after production.
Yeah I'm not even under the impression that these leaks are real necessarily, I'm just saying it's very possible to get a 1080p screen on a mobile device and keep pricing relatively low in 2016. Any screen larger than a phone is almost expected to be at least 1080p at this point, and if Nvidia can put one on a tablet for $200, they can surely put one on a hybrid console for Nintendo at around $300.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch dev kit can surely being stronger than the PS4. According to this, it deferentially something that you can't use as a portable and probably cost a lot. Like more than the PS4 Pro.
I read the original post in Chinese, which suggest a chip around 100mm2. That is half of gp106.

Damn it, no ps4 class performance.
OP seems to be working in Foxconn.

Extremely stable frame. Just not insane performance when docked.
I don't expect it to be PS4 class. XBox 1 is enough. Also didn't expect the docked to add much.
If this all true, of course.

I don't think 4G is a red flag. It might not even come out. Maybe people don't want to drain their phone battery or simply don't want to rely on their phone for 4G.

I think the main reason for Vita 3G note selling as well, is that it was 3G and it was only one carrier. Not being about to do calls didn't help. There are lot of devices that have 4G despite phones already having them. Along with the problems the Vita Wifi had at a higher cost. I don't think Vita having data was bad choice, it was they way they went about it.

Nintendo wouldn't waste time and resources on an exclusisve version of the console that only has a feature that isn't even needed, few would pay the extra money for that extra "feature".
DS -> DSI? 3DS -> New 3DS?

For someone who doesn't know much than anyone else, seem to be so sure the employee isn't a employee.

I miss that the person sounded like they were eyeballing it.

Yeah I'm not even under the impression that these leaks are real necessarily, I'm just saying it's very possible to get a 1080p screen on a mobile device and keep pricing relatively low in 2016. Any screen larger than a phone is almost expected to be at least 1080p at this point, and if Nvidia can put one on a tablet for $200, they can surely put one on a hybrid console for Nintendo at around $300.
720p would be still be cheaper. Not to mention, you still have to worry about the battery life and heat to push that screen.

Last edited by KingVamp,

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch dev kit can surely being stronger than the PS4. According to this, it deferentially something that you can't use as a portable and probably cost a lot. Like more than the PS4 Pro.

I don't expect it to be PS4 class. XBox 1 is enough. Also didn't expect the docked to add much.
If this all true, of course.

I don't think 4G is a red flag. It might not even come out. Maybe people don't want to drain their phone battery or simply don't want to rely on their phone for 4G.

I think the main reason for Vita 3G note selling as well, is that it was 3G and it was only one carrier. Not being about to do calls didn't help. There are lot of devices that have 4G despite phones already having them. Along with the problems the Vita Wifi had at a higher cost. I don't think Vita having data was bad choice, it was they way they went about it.

DS -> DSI? 3DS -> New 3DS?

For someone who doesn't know much than anyone else, seem to be so sure the employee isn't a employee.

I miss that the person sounded like they were eyeballing it.

720p would be still be cheaper. Not to mention, you still have to worry about the battery life and heat to push that screen.
Yeah, it's Nintendo... what is this people expecting? 900p at the most. Like I said before... (for the screen) and 4K for TV and 1080P for games.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It would be cheaper, but not by much these days. Nintendo would save maybe $40 per unit and the consumer would only see like $20 of that savings. It makes more sense that they would go for parity. If Switch can output 1080p to TVs, and it definitely can, then why not output the same 1080p to the mobile screen?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Shield Tablet can't even run Half Life 2 smooth. It has 1080p because it's also a media tablet.
Well, it's $200. The 3DS cost that much not too long ago and look how much better than that the Shield tablet looks and performs. The first iteration of the Shield tablet was also released 2013, I believe, so pre-Maxwell and pre-Pascal. Nvidia tech has made some giant leaps since then, which is why I was talking about the price of the 1080p screen specifically, and not its other specs. Shield TV will run HL2 at 60 FPS no problems, and the custom Tegra chip in Switch is rumored to be much more powerful than the Tegra X1 in Shield TV.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, it's $200. The 3DS cost that much not too long ago and look how much better than that the Shield tablet looks and performs. The first iteration of the Shield tablet was also released 2013, I believe, so pre-Maxwell and pre-Pascal. Nvidia tech has made some giant leaps since then, which is why I was talking about the price of the 1080p screen specifically, and not its other specs. Shield TV will run HL2 at 60 FPS no problems, and the custom Tegra chip in Switch is rumored to be much more powerful than the Tegra X1 in Shield TV.
Realistically the Switch will be at least as powerful as the Wii U. Now how many Wii U games render at native 1080p? Remember the Switch is more a handheld than a home console (even if Nintendo claims otherwise), so it has to render at the display's native resolution. Considering this, a 720p display is much more realistic than 1080p.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I am happy to have high setting 720p at good frame rate. Should I ask that op any question? Anyone want to ask anything?

Reactions: nmkd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)