Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Realistically the Switch will be at least as powerful as the Wii U. Now how many Wii U games render at native 1080p? Remember the Switch is more a handheld than a home console (even if Nintendo claims otherwise), so it has to render at the display's native resolution. Considering this, a 720p display is much more realistic than 1080p.
Realistically Switch will be closer in power to an XB1 than a WiiU, and Nintendo graphics aren't usually that demanding. A majority of games could run at 1080p/60, or 1080p/30 if they want to emphasize visual fidelity over performance (as consoles usually do). I guarantee it'll run games at native 1080p, because Shield TV already does that (also outputs 4K video).

Last edited by Xzi,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Most of them, actually
Not really.

Realistically Switch will be closer in power to an XB1 than a WiiU, and Nintendo graphics aren't usually that demanding. A majority of games could run at 1080p/60, or 1080p/30 if they want to emphasize visual fidelity over performance (as consoles usually do). I guarantee it'll run games at native 1080p, because Shield TV already does that (also outputs 4K video).
Shield TV can't even run Half Life Episode 2, Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Rising at 1080p. Sure it can run Angry Birds at 1080p, so can my phone. Also decoding 4k video content is much less demanding than running games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cheaper, but not by much these days. Nintendo would save maybe $40 per unit and the consumer would only see like $20 of that savings. It makes more sense that they would go for parity. If Switch can output 1080p to TVs, and it definitely can, then why not output the same 1080p to the mobile screen?
$20 savings is still $20 savings. Like I said, you are forgetting battery power. They are already trying to balance Xbox 1 power with portability (Again Idk why people hoping or expecting ps4 power, especially at a reasonable cost), think they balance that well, while having a ~6in 1080p screen? People already complaining about battery life.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Shield TV can't even run Half Life Episode 2, Resident Evil 5 and Metal Gear Rising at 1080p. Sure it can run Angry Birds at 1080p, so can my phone. Also decoding 4k video content is much less demanding than running games.
It would run most things from the WiiU in 1080p just fine, and it's probably only about half as powerful as what will be in the Switch due to advancements in die shrinkage since then.

$20 savings is still $20 savings. Like I said, you are forgetting battery power. They are already trying to balance Xbox 1 power with portability (Again Idk why people hoping or expecting ps4 power, especially at a reasonable cost), think they balance that well, while having a ~6in 1080p screen? People already complaining about battery life.
I'm not forgetting battery power, it's just that if this is based in any part on Pascal, power usage difference between 720p and 1080p would be minimal. And if you believe these leaks, this is a high-end tablet battery on this thing, not some dinky 3DS battery. It would still get 12+ hours in 1080p with a slightly dimmed screen. If you also carry a 15000maH battery in your car or something that's more play time away from an outlet than anyone really needs. And those battery packs are like $20 on sale. Shield tablet is 8in 1080p btw.

On XB1 vs PS4, AFAIK the difference is basically RAM speed/lanes and operating overhead. They're both using AMD APUs, which in itself is much closer to mobile technology than a full gaming PC setup. Either is still as much as anyone needs for a 1080p gaming system hardware-wise.

Last edited by Xzi,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not forgetting battery power, it's just that if this is based in any part on Pascal, power usage difference between 720p and 1080p would be minimal.

Are you sure?

1080p means about 2x GPU load.

(920,000 pixels/frame vs 2,070,000 pixels/frame)

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The tablet weighs around 300 grams and 50 grams for each joycon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dev kit has a much bigger die at 200mm2, on par with gp106, aka gtx 1060. Dev kit can wreck ps4 pro anyday with egpu.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The tablet weighs around 300 grams and 50 grams for each joycon.

Dev kit has a much bigger die at 200mm2, on par with gp106, aka gtx 1060. Dev kit can wreck ps4 pro anyday with egpu.
I think the rumor is bullshit because the devkits from the 3ds and Wii u are almost the same at raw power than retail units, plus 3g? It did very well to the psvita...

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IT'S OVER NINE HUNDRED!!!
You know how during the buu saga a typical super saiyan is 3,000 some unit and they should have used that joke there.
Seriously though at this clock more cuda can be put in there without draining too much power.
I think the rumor is bullshit because the devkits from the 3ds and Wii u are almost the same at raw power than retail units, plus 3g? It did very well to the psvita...
There is a separate egpu configuration for the dev unit that uses a gp106.
Edit: Sorry for the bad logic. There a separate die as gp106 and a typical mobile chip in the dev unit tablet. Been playing sun and moon last night.

Last edited by Yil,

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The original post in Chinese, in case anyone is interested: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4854078471?pn=1

The bad part: Switch has fans inside. Only air tunnels in the dock to help with cooling. But that's hardly an issue.
Still pretty low storage, though we do get usb 3.0 ports.

Joycons charge through the tablet, and somewhat easy to damage.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also a really insane gpu with 900+ clock, unknown number of cuda cores, and much more.

Just wanted to say that 900 mhz is nothing special; Pascal has higher clocks than Maxwell.

The desktop Pascal cards hit 2 GHz.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X"

Last edited by nmkd,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure?

1080p means about 2x GPU load.

(920,000 pixels/frame vs 2,070,000 pixels/frame)
I'm sure. Pascal is efficient as hell. Even my GTX 1070 doesn't necessitate active cooling half the time, and its power usage at 4K is less than half compared to some older AMD cards at 1080p.

Keeping in mind that Nvidia already made a tablet with a >1080p screen (1920x1200), and the battery life is about what you'd expect at ~10 hours depending on how heavily you're using it. They charge $200 for it and it probably only costs them about $140 per unit to manufacture. All pre-Pascal tech, too.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE