ROM Hack [Recruiting] Monster Hunter Stories Translation

Landohitemup95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're currently working on a full Story patch for this game, which includes all cutscenes and story related dialogs, as well as all Side Quest dialogs. For now we don't plan on translating unrelated npc dialogs.

UI ONLY Patch Release (21.11.16):
We are proud to present our UI Patch for Monster Hunter Stories!! This "UI Patch" version does not contain any dialog translations. We advise anyone that cares for the full experience to wait longer for a possible localization or a new patch. The current state of the patch has 98+% of main UI and messages completed.

Our Team:
Team Lead, Hacking, Tooling:

dashing
Translation Lead:
MaximusX800
Translators:
Drake70
silverhawke
noshio
nanashi
FrosterBrebb
fussy
Anon

UI Only Patch Download (New 3ds only)

Note: o3ds users have to resort to rebuilding a cia or finding a prebuilt one.

Please look forward to our Story Patch release in the foreseeable future.

A glimpse of the story patch (which has yet to be released):

Yo how would you patch this on a cia for an old 3ds or a 2ds please help anyone

Last edited by Landohitemup95,

brennerei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yo how would you patch this on a cia for an old 3ds or a 2ds please help anyone
It seems you no longer have to use a prepatched cia (or patch one yourself) on an o3ds. It was posted a few replies back, but NTR has been updated to work with extended memory games on o3ds, so using the NTR plugin should work fine.
Still, if you want to patch the cia, I think there's a post somewhere on gbatemp explaining how to patch cias, but you'd have to search a bit. If you want a prepatched one, you'd have to find one yourself too. ;)

Rich_venom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey man, the another day I downloaded a NTR plugin for O3DS, the person said now we can run like if there be a New3DS, I'll try it, and I'll post if this work in my O3DS...

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Might have to be edited if it's 300kb or over I think to properly work on o3ds. That's what everyone's doing anyways.
The NTR plugin itself is about 11kb. The data for live patching the romfs doesn't count, as it's loaded by the game on the fly due to the plugin.

Last edited by Kingwad,

trueDan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So what exactly is left untranslated right now, does the current patch make it playable for someone with 0 japan skills at all?

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
So what exactly is left untranslated right now, does the current patch make it playable for someone with 0 japan skills at all?

UI Only Patch State:

Playable for sure, great experience? Not so much. Many tutorials and explanations are missing.

Story Patch State:
Unreleased, playable yes, experience pretty good.

Toady231

Intellectual saviour of the masses
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can not wait to see this come out as a full translation patch. Been waiting ages for it. But I know the team behind it will do a fantastic job, keep up the good work and we'll look forward to enjoying the experience soon.

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
it all depends on the translators, if i had to do a rough optimistic estimate i'd say 1-2 months maybe. It all depends on when we finish the story stuff, how much polishing we will do, how long proofreaders will take etc.

Last edited by dasding,

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
We're currently working on a full Story patch for this game, which includes all cutscenes and story related dialogs, as well as all Side Quest dialogs. For now we don't plan on translating unrelated npc dialogs.

UI ONLY Patch Release (21.11.16):
We are proud to present our UI Patch for Monster Hunter Stories!! This "UI Patch" version does not contain any dialog translations. We advise anyone that cares for the full experience to wait longer for a possible localization or a new patch. The current state of the patch has 98+% of main UI and messages completed.

Our Team:
Team Lead, Hacking, Tooling:

dasding
Translation Lead:
MaximusX800
Translators:
Drake70
silverhawke
noshio
nanashi
FrosterBrebb
fussy
Anon

UI Only Patch Download (New 3ds only)

Note: o3ds users have to resort to rebuilding a cia or finding a prebuilt one.

Please look forward to our Story Patch release in the foreseeable future.

A glimpse of the story patch (which has yet to be released):

Excuse me but HOW in the heck am I supposed to patch the game?? I have xdelta downloaded already but when I download the UI only patch download it doesn't give me the actual patch rather a folder with just stuff..I'm super confused here. Also what happens when a game like this doesn't wish to be installed thru FBI? I've been trying to download an english patch cia version of this game that someone has made but it won't work for nothing o n o

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it all depends on the translators, if i had to do a rough optimistic estimate i'd say 1-2 months maybe. It all depends on when we finish the story stuff, how much polishing we will do, how long proofreaders will take etc.

Goodluck, you're all amazing! You got so far already in such a short time. I would've joined if I had finished playing the game before ( still at the very beginning) & had a working pc/laptop (both are broken & I switched to doing most things on my phone), currently borrowing my sister's laptop.xD I'm actually also watching the anime + the english monster names all confused me at first & I know now I that like the Japanese names more, which is why I decided to wait & see how far I get with those tiny sometimes almost unreadable furigana on the 3ds. I still have to master reading katakana, so reading Japanese can be hell eventhough I understand most of it & don't get me started on kanji. Q_Q The saddest thing is I've multiple MH games the MH4 EU N3DS XL, but I actually never finished any of them yet. Q_Q

@HinaNaru Cutie I think the patch works with the NTR CFW plugin. You're supposed to put the "mhst" folder in the root of SD & "plugin" files in the (NTR) plugin folder on the root of your SD & boot ntr cfw & the game it'll run the patch then. I think I read that somewhere in this thread.

Then again I also want a Puzzle Dragon Cross X games english translation (but I think it's a pretty big project to do) & finish that 1 too & many other games I've in my huge backlog, but that's off topic.^^

Last edited by Angely,

dasding

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Germany
Off topic but any plans for a MHXX translation when it comes out next month?

I currently have no plans on doing a patch for MHXX out of multiple reasons. Just a few:
  • i want to keep my focus on Stories.
  • a localization might follow shortly anyway
  • using original script from mh generations is trouble (copyright)
  • i don't want to do a half assed patch
things might change, but right now i'm not in favor of doing one.

zeldaism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have no plans on doing a patch for MHXX out of multiple reasons. Just a few:
  • i want to keep my focus on Stories.
  • a localization might follow shortly anyway
  • using original script from mh generations is trouble (copyright)
  • i don't want to do a half assed patch
things might change, but right now i'm not in favor of doing one.
Glad you guys are sticking to stories.

Last edited by zeldaism,

Landohitemup95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems you no longer have to use a prepatched cia (or patch one yourself) on an o3ds. It was posted a few replies back, but NTR has been updated to work with extended memory games on o3ds, so using the NTR plugin should work fine.
Still, if you want to patch the cia, I think there's a post somewhere on gbatemp explaining how to patch cias, but you'd have to search a bit. If you want a prepatched one, you'd have to find one yourself too. ;)

One last question do you have to use the jap. cia or can you use an already english patched monster hunter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU