RECOVER 3DS CORRUPT SD CARD

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jschmitdinger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jschmitdinger
    OP

jschmitdinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2016
    Brazil
    Yo dudes and dudettes!

So I have an Old3DS at 11.2 with Luma CFW through A9LH and a ton of games installed. I was editing some Pokemon saves on PC and when I inserted the card back, the 3DS did not recognise it. I tried turning it off, reinserting the card and turning it on again a few times but with no result.

So I got the SD card back on windows and BAM "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it." I imagine there was some error when the 3DS was loading up the card and messed up the drive. I tried using chkdsk to diagnose the problem and it said the data type was RAW.

Even though I have a backup of all files needed to run A9LH, CFW and Homebrew, I'm hesitant to format it because of the games. It's too much data to redownload + lost saves. So I was wondering if anyone knew a good recovery software that will be able to get this specific job done.

Thanks a bunch, have a nice week!

2. InstaSauce

InstaSauce Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    I've used TestDisk/PhotoRec with some success. I've only used it with Linux but there's a Windows version.

3. jschmitdinger
    OP

jschmitdinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2016
    Brazil
    I'll give it a go. In the meantime, did it manage to recover the game files? I know it's tricky since titles downloaded from eshop and installed as .cia are not in the most comon format and usually have large sizes. Some recovery tools I tried out failed to locate these files and/or would refuse to back them up due to the size being to large.

4. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    The files inside the "Nintendo 3ds" folder must be called properly and these kind of software usually mess up the names, so I don't know if it will be very useful in this case

5. InstaSauce

InstaSauce Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    I haven't used it for games just for file recovery in general. @Arubaro thats a good point. Didn't even consider that.

6. supergamer368

supergamer368 CustomTitle.txt

May 22, 2016
    United States
    A wastebasket reading my neighbor's mail
    cLICKBAIT tITLE

7. jschmitdinger
    OP

jschmitdinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2016
    Brazil
    What about it is clickbait? I'm having trouble recovering a corrupt 3DS SD card.

8. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    The way it's written right now sounds like a tutorial for other users. It says nothing about you needing help, in fact implying the opposite.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Try Recuva. TestDisk/PhotoRec was completely useless in my case.

10. jschmitdinger
    OP

jschmitdinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2016
    Brazil
    @Fishaman P True, I did not specify if it was a question or a tutorial, but the ideia was to leave it open like this so that when we found an answer other people with the same problem could look it up as a tutorial.

Which was the case! After messing around with many Disk Recovery softwares I finally found one that managed to restore every single file in my corrupted SD card.

You were right, as most softwares did rename the files and change some paths, but with EaseUS Data Recovery I managed to get a perfect copy of what was my SD before. I simply restored the files, backed them up no my computer, formated the SD card and copied them back there. The 3DS started normaly with all my games and saves. Unfortunately EaseUS Data Recovery is paid software, and the trial version will not restore your files, only view them, you must get it to work on Technichal version.

Thanks everyone for the help and support!

Last edited by jschmitdinger, Jan 17, 2017
    Arubaro likes this.
  11. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    You should've added [Q] or [Help] in the beginning of your title to avoid misleading titles. Then remove it after you solve your problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by annson24, Jan 17, 2017