Recommended disc image software to use?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I was just curious, I got windows 10, I didn't know sooner but it come with is own CD emulation tool but only works with iso. So i was wondering what other people use. Basically something that works for lots of stuff like cue bin, or whatever, but basically what i was trying to do is delete some files from iso image that i don't want, that some cd emulators don't allow cause of some Read only thing.

2. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
  3. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I was hoping for completely free software. Nothing that requires payment for a upgraded better useful version. Or are they all not like that? Couldn't find one that was close enough besides wincdemu which is a open source on source forge

4. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Daemon Tools, Isobuster, UltraISO or CDmage. I use the DT mostly for virtual drives, mounting bin & cue images, etc.

5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    WinCDEmu is a very nice free, open source, and lightweight alternative to Daemon Tools. I highly recommend it, I've been using it for years and haven't gone back to Daemon Tools since.

I don't know of any free open source software that allows you to edit ISO images, but if you want you can use 7-zip to "extract" it (or you could just mount it and copy everything out of the virtual drive). Then delete the files you don't want, and if you need it back in the form of an ISO use ImgBurn (another wonderful piece of freeware that I highly recommend) to make an ISO out of it.

PrometheusG. and GerbilSoft like this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I already tried that option, 7-zip doesn't allow it, says is read only. I used wincdemu to create the iso image from the bin/cue image. It just won't let me do it.

7. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    No, I'm not saying to use 7-zip to edit the ISO. Just to copy all the files into a folder on your computer. Then delete the files you don't want out of the folder, and you can make a new ISO out of the folder using ImgBurn.

8. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, i see, make more sense now lol. I wish i thought of that sooner. :P

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I can't do it, keep saying something about invalid MS-DOS function. :unsure:

9. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Where are you getting this error from? Is this a bootable cd you're trying to modify? Bootable discs are more complicated, you have to copy the "boot image" from the iso/bin and then use that image in the new ISO.

10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No, is a playstation game backup, though i managed to extract the data using 7-zip after creating a iso with wincdemu, but the game doesn't boot in the emulator.

11. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Playstation disc images are finicky, it's hard to give good advice when I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Check out PSx CD-Gen, CDmage, and ECCRegen.

Also try to keep everything in bin format, some games use subchannel data that can't be stored in an ISO image.

12. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I was trying to remove the music from the game to record audio sound effects. :P

13. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    ...I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to rip the music to use to make audio effects, or do you want to replace the music with audio effects? The former could be as easy as mounting the image and opening it in WMP, the latter definitely requires some specialized software as mixing music with proprietary data is not something normally dealt with.

14. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Remove music from the game so i can record clean sound effects.

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    I've been looking for something like this on Windows ever since Daemon Tools started adding "potentially unwanted programs" to their distributions.

On Linux I used CDemu years ago. It looks like it's still being maintained. (last release was 2017/06/10)

16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    A long time I used PowerISO and MagicISO.

17. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Long ago I did some PSX-Rips using CDemu, CDMage and other tools. I deleted music streams and videos by replacing them with zero-sized one's so the final CD-Image would be easily packed on a smaller filesize and I was able to play them already packed on my PSX emulator (PSXFin -pSX v.1.13-, if I recall correctly).

RHOPKINS13 likes this.
  18. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Maybe I can help if I knew the game. Instead of deleting the files, try replacing them with empty ones instead.