Recommend me some headphones?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Arras, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Okay, so I've been using the standard Apple earbuds for about 5 years now (that's also how old they are) and people around me complain about the noise, they're falling apart and the sound quality is pretty shitty. So honestly almost anything that produces sound would be an improvement, but I'd like something that's a bit better.
    I wasn't planning on spending any more than, say, 40$ but I might be talked into buying something more expensive if there's a good reason. I haven't really decided whether to get headphones or earbuds either. It would mostly be used for gaming and watching videos at home though, so headphones might be better.

Edit: I got a Sennheiser HD 201. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

2. Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    Literally anything from Sennheiser. Set your budget, and find some Sennheisers within that budget. You can't go wrong.

Vulpes Abnocto and Arras like this.
  3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    As far as cheap goes, I like Sony's headphones in the $30 range, but I've never tried their earbuds if that's what you're set on. Also, durability is an issue, but they sound good and at $30 I don't mind replacing them every few years.

Arras likes this.
  4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Sound quality wise $40 ain't going to get you anywhere, considering you need both headphone and external DAC to have good sound quality.

But $40 headphone budget wise you should look for an used SR850, Monoprice headphone, or Panasonic RP-HTF600. That's about the best you can get from that budget. And no, just because it is Sennheiser does not mean it is a good headphone, there are plenty Sennheiser that sounds bad.

Sound is something you have to spend more to get better quality out of it.

Arras likes this.
  5. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Try getting Sony ones, or if you wanna waste a little bit more go for beats and/or Wesc.

Arras likes this.
  6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I've had a couple good cheap Sennheisers in the past. Though now I'm currently using a pair of Bose QC15s.

Arras likes this.
  7. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    The ones that transmit sound into your ears when you put them on your head. (duh) No, I'll safely say Sony. Bose headphones are really nice too; they almost completely cut out background noise.

Arras likes this.
  8. Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor

Bose = Biggest Overpriced Sound Equipment.

Seriously, Bose is really overpriced. Sennheiser delivers better sound quality at every price level.

Arras likes this.
  9. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    That's what I thought. I'm glad there's a cheaper alternative to those.

Arras likes this.
  10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I always come to suggest my headphones, and then I see piddly budgets and get sad.
    Oh well.

Anything by Sennheiser. All of their stuff rocks. Very, very solid brand. I'm always happy with their headphones. Their headsets sometimes have weak mics though.

Arras likes this.
  11. Tokopimv

Tokopimv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2012
    Netherlands
    I've been using Sony MDR-ZX300 headphones for the past 2,5 years and I absolutely love them. They give quite good sound quality, and they're quite cheap aswell.

Arras likes this.
  12. Seyiji

Seyiji Rawr :3

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    PA
    +1

You sir should be burned at the stake.

YayMii and Arras like this.
  13. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    "SENNHEISER HD438"

You can get them for like $70. I wouldn't recommend spending low amounts on headphones if you care about sound.

Arras likes this.
  14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Get some skullcandy earbuds cost 8$ and they sound good enough for me. I will say they dont last long at all prob 1 month plus, but while they last I think they sound great.

15. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I bought a Sennheiser HD 201. I was originally planning to go with the 205, but one of the online stores had a 30% sale on this one. Anyway, thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Have some likes. Except for you, Eric :P Headphones for 50$ that last three years or 8$ that last a month? Hmm...

16. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I've always loved the two cord look on headphones. HD 201 was a good choice.

17. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    Eh, found some good (well good for their price) earphones (what the fuck is an ear bud?) in your price range, was pretty hard to!

http://www.amazon.com/Audiofly-Series-Headset-Microphone-IshGreen/dp/B00855JOL8

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-CW31-Wooden-Headphones-Players/dp/B004OBZ2X6

18. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    Oh shit didn't realise you got some, I could've found you some better headphones than that probably for cheaper too

such as these which are ridiculously low priced for their quality

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=8323

19. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I got Philips SPH2700 ones.
    Their pretty cheap and are extremely comfy.
    Sound quality is superb for the price and are pretty sturdy.

20. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    My aren't you stupid, I take it you don't read properly *ahem* let me quote my words: ''if you wanna waste a little bit more''