Hardware Recommend me an Android Tablet that is $300 or lower.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking of getting an Android Tablet for awhile now since I mostly just use my laptop for media services and would rather prefer something that is easier to carry around.

Though I don't really have anything I want out of it in particular as long as it's within my budget, it'd be nice if I could run emulators from Google Play on it smoothly, or maybe Skype on it. Otherwise, I want to know why I should go with a recommended tablet.

So far I have only looked into the Nexus 7 and the KindleFire HD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll take those into consideration since I was just looking at them earlier. What's the word with the Kindle Fire HDX? What are the pros and cons of it (besides no microSD slot and no rear camera)?

haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nexus 7 32Gb second generation. If you want expansion, get an OTG USB cable, then get an app called stickmount. I second you cannot go wrong with it. Both front and back facing cameras, quad core, 8+ hour battery life, the 32Gb is under $300. Get a decent case for it though.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I have only looked into the Nexus 7 and the KindleFire HD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The one weakness of Android is that it is incredibly fragmented. The vast majority of devices available don't actually run vanilla Android, but some heavily customized derivative of it. To make these customizations, companies invest tons and tons of money and time.

In addition to this, with embedded devices like phones, tablets, and now some modern PC's, sacrifices made for power efficiency have caused the actual hardware platforms to be non-generic (i.e. the OS is not able to query attached sensors and devices - it must be told ahead of time what they are and how they are connected). In most cases, this means the kernel source code needs to be modified and then recompiled for each individual device.

When you take the above facts into consideration, it means that for a company to design and release and Android device takes money and time in the areas of both hardware and software design. After a product is releases, a significant amount of time and money must continue to be invested into maintaining software updates for every previously released device, as updating the OS requires unique and specific modifications for each individual device.

This has lead to the official support cycle for modern Android devices to be incredibly short, usually not any longer than about two years. This is unfortunate, as you as a user may want to continue using your device beyond that point, and there may be no reason (spec wise) that your device couldn't handle the new updates. There is also no way for you to easily update the device yourself, as it isn't like Windows or Linux where you can just slot in the install disk for the latest OS and have it do its thing. You are 100% reliant on other extremely skilled individuals to hack, release, and maintain updates for you.

This is the case for all Android devices, except for Google Nexus products. Google Nexus phones and tablets all have unlocked boot loaders, meaning that you as a user are able to update your OS without too much difficulty (unlike other products that require a lot of hacking to be able to even boot from "non-official" code), and all run vanilla Android (AOSP, which means no bloatware and no weird or buggy customizations). Google also releases the source code for the OS on those devices, as well as all the necessary device driver binaries, meaning that people don't have to "hack" things to update or make modifications - they can just download the source, make their modifications in the same environment as the original device programmers, and then compile and distribute the code.

This translates to Google Nexus devices having much longer official support periods, being much less prone to bugs or accidental bricks, and performing much more efficiently than similar devices from other manufacturers.

Because of all the facts above, I would almost exclusively recommend a Google Nexus device for anyone looking for the optimal Android experience. In your case, the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 seem like a good bet. The former is a 7-inch tablet and is extremely portable, and has now gone through two hardware revisions (Gen I and Gen II). Gen I 32GB models can now be had for $120-$150 if you keep and eye out for a sale, whereas Gen II 32GB run about $230. I'm not sure of the performance difference between to two (I leave that up to you to research), but somehow I doubt it is something the average user would notice in many situations short of playing really intense games, which are few and far between (someone correct me if I am wrong).

The Nexus 10 is a 10-inch tablet (surprise) and has only seen one hardware revision thus far. This is what I would call Google's flagship device. You can pick up a 32GB model new for about $300 (your spending limit) on a good day, and a refurbished for around $285.

Hope that helps you in your search.

Reactions: gamefan5

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
not really , bricks generally if you follow lame guides and dont ensure you have a full battery or mains lead attached....... im more than happy with a 1st gen 32 Gb Nexus 7 .. hasnt strugled with anything , looking for a second one for my daughter...

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
not really , bricks generally if you follow lame guides and dont ensure you have a full battery or mains lead attached....... im more than happy with a 1st gen 32 Gb Nexus 7 .. hasnt strugled with anything , looking for a second one for my daughter...

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you've got any friends or family in the uk, the Hudl from tesco's (tesco.com) is unbelievably good value for the money.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since everyone is recommending it, I guess I will go for the 2nd gen Nexus 7 :) . I have already placed an order for a OTG cable, so what kind of case should I get for it?

Reactions: Xexyz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1