Recently purchased PS3...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Red Ire Lap, Jan 29, 2011.

Jan 29, 2011

Recently purchased PS3... by Red Ire Lap at 1:38 AM (1,286 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Newcomer Red Ire Lap Advanced Member

Canada
    I recently purchased a PS3 and haven't updated yet. I am on OFW 3.42 and would like to upgrade to 3.55 and not to 3.56. I would only like to do this if there are no options for the firmeware i am on. I can concede the fact that i may also need to wait for an option lol.

2. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Interesting question. I'm buying a PS3 too somewhere along the road, but I'm waiting for someone to write a comprehensive softmodding guide (like the sticky topics for the other consoles).

Be patient, it'll be here somewhere along the line. [​IMG]

3. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, from OFW 3.42 you have the ability to update to OFW 3.55 and continue onto a CFW 3.55 from there (Waninkoko, kmeaw, or geohot.) Each have their pros and cons, but all of them have a chance of bricking your console... some more than others *COUGH* Waninkoko *COUGH*. You also have the option of updating to OFW 3.56, but you've already stated that you have no desire to do so; smart move.

Did you purchase a pre-owned PS3? I'm curious because of the fact that you are currently on OFW 3.42. To the best of my knowledge, PS3s have been shipping with 3.40 for quite some time and only recently started shipping with 3.50. I only mention this because if your console shipped with 3.40, you can also downgrade from 3.42 to 3.41 with a jailbreak device and then use said jailbreak device like back in the good ol' days (Sept. '10?... man, where does the time go?) Downgrading a console that shipped with 3.50 is NOT recommended as it will more than likely brick your console. Once on OFW 3.41 you also have the option of updating to kakaroto's MFW 3.41. Hope this helps.

4. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  5. epistaxis

Newcomer epistaxis Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah, kmeaw cfw + latest multi-man backup manager = perfection right now. Can't get any easier. No patching, everything just works.

6. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the input folks. Its a PS3 Slim, 320 gig, and it came with OFW 3.42 brand new. I will use kmeaw with multiman once i figure a way to upgrade to 3.55 and not 3.56, seems like the way to go. I hear Waninkoko is up to building 'brick' houses on a new hacking scene once again.

I can't read, problem solved. Thanks for the DaLink DaMummy. Sorry i know it was lame.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Have there been any reports of bricks with the Wanin V2 CFW? Any at all?

Less misinformation plox.

EDIT: Bolded the part in the quote which I object to.

8. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    Obviously referring to the first wanin cfw.

9. Red Ire Lap
    OP

Canada
    Sorry, yes. I was refering to the first Wanin cfw and his reputation on the wii modding scene.

10. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How likely is Sony to ban people with CFW? I ask because i'm thinking about CFW on my ps3 but i really dont want to be banned.

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Nobody knows. They haven't started yet, and so long as hackers aren't actively chasing over Sony in the cat-n-mouse game, they probably won't.

CFW or PSN. It seems like Sony are happy in keeping that distinct choice clear for its users. That could change at any day though (or not at all).

12. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it is possible that when ppl get lax, they all at once they start the ban for all confirmed users