Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Source:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/RealWnD

QUOTE said:
RealWnD is a 1:1 Wii NAND Dumper based on YaWnD 0.3 but with several improvements. All currently available Wii NAND Dumpers misunderstand the IOS_Read() returned error code -12 and cause the dumped image file to be different from the image that would extracted by an external hardware programmer off a de-soldered NAND chip.

After analyzing, the -12 code seems very likely to be an ECC error but not simply a bad block. Most pages with a -12 return code might be unmanaged free blocks (with the ECC error caused by erased and not yet reprogrammed blocks). Zeroing these pages is a bit dangerous. If it happens that it's the very first time the ECC error occurred for a good page while dumping, zeroing it might render the dumped image useless.

Besides the -12 code, some people encounter a -11 code and stop their dumping. I guess the -11 code might be NAND read timeout and NAND status error. Stopping the dumping is not a good idea but zeroing it would be safe. I also provide an extra Page Debug Dump of these -11 codes for the user to later analyze.

For those whose NAND dumps without a -11 code, RealWnD can help them make a 100% 1:1 dump which is exactly the same as a hardware programmer dump.

Improvement

* Real 1:1 dump of NAND Flash by processing error code -11 and -12
* Greatly reduce dump time by opening files once instead of appending repeatedly
* Add log file for all error pages
* Change to new style FAT management code for easily compiling
* Add Debug Dump for -11 code or others for future analysis

How To Use

Most operations are the same as YaWnd. You can use button 1 to toggle SD and USB, button 2 to toggle +ECC and normal dump, and button A to start dump. In addition, you can use button B to toggle on/off for Debug Dump. A log file WiiFlash.log will log all page error return code. If DebugDump turs on, several image files WFD__.img will be created for future analysis.

Changelog

* v0.11 (08 May 2009) minor bugfix: error code -12 mis-typed as 12 cause error code -12 unnecessarily retry once.
* v0.1 (08 May 2009) Initial release.

Thanks To

* Homebrew Channel, DevkitPPC and libOGC developing crew.
* Redbird's YaWnd source code.
* Waninkoko's Wad Manager FAT management source code.

Has anyone got a chance to try this yet confirm it? thanks in advanced guys!

TrickyTony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Messing with NAND seems foreign to me. Even if you dump it. How would you reinstall (flash?) it? And why would you need to other than after a brick?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only a person with a Infectus Chip could test, if it actually dumps a Usable Nand Img, But i always thought the Wii constantly writes to the nand, therefore corrupting the nand Dump when using software to dump the nand, But i may be wrong, I always thought there was a special way to properly dump the Wii Nand by using a Infectus Chip and do the DO Short, i can always double check on the infectus Website to be sure,

I would test it, cause i do own a infectus chip, but that damn thing has so many freakin solder points, i think like 15 or 16 on that little nand chip, i've never installed it, to the Nand, But if it does Properly Dump the Nand, Than it sounds like a Pretty neat program
smile.gif
it may come in handy when bootmii comes out

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Always released yesterday, so it's a little late to post it... . Anyways, I've tried it yesterday, and it worked fine...dumped my NAND directly to my first FAT32-Partition on my USB-HD, so it seems to be perfect...don't know if it's usable...maybe someone can try when BootMii is out (I think I've heard that BootMii can restore your NAND...not shure though)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro