Hacking Really, really, REALLY frustrated. Somebody help me out...

LordTacodip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've just gotten into the whole Wii modding community, and everything has gone well; I have a healthy library full of homebrew I use often, I can play backed up DVD's, etc.
However, I had a hard drive laying around that I didn't use, I thought to myself I could easily just purchase any SATA enclosure and start using an enclosure to play my backed up games.

I went ahead and ordered a cheap and simple Galaxy hard drive enclosure and stuffed my 250GB Seagate Hard drive into it, st3250410as is the model number.
After testing it with various Hard drive utilities I finally deemed the enclosure to be working A-Okay, so I then installed WBFS Manager 3.0 (64-bit since I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit).

This is where my trouble started.
After choosing my Hard Drive letter (In my case it's F:) I clicked Format in the GUI. Everything's good. I bring up my list if games and then click Add to Drive, or whatever it has in WBFS Manager.

My enclosure has two LED's, blue to display that it's powered on, then an amber color which shows that's it's being written to or accessed. For every game the amber light would light up momentarily, and then you can hear the HDD working, however, the amber light would turn off and notice would pop up in Windows and say something along these lines "This disk has to be formatted to work correctly. Format now?" And I would have a choice to either click yes or no. I would choose no every time.
The box goes away, and WBFS Manager continues to transfer the games to the HDD.
However, nothing is written or moved to the HDD and it remains blank.

So...next trial. With the HDD still in it's Galaxy Enclosure, I was thinking...heck, I should format it just in case. I continued to Disk Manager and right clicked on the partitions on my HDD and deleted them, then I attempted to format (with Quick Format unchecked) it would appear to work for half a second, but then a notice would appear stating: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

Me = WTF right now.

Frustrated I continue to do EVERYTHING I could think of and what my Google-Fu is capable of, to try to get it to format and work with WBFS Manager.
Broken and giving up, I then unscrew the hard drive from the enclosure and hook it straight to my PC's motherboard.

NOW I can format the HDD into a RAW partition.
Me = orly?

Opening WBFS Manager I can finally format the HDD to WBFS and transfer the games (Thirteen to be exact. My lucky number) successfully over.
Going crazy and finally relieved, I loaded USB Loader GX (the latest one) and installed it as a channel.

Everything's going swell, the HDD is recognized, the games and recognized, and so on. (I'm using Hermes cIOS 222 for USB Load GX)
I could open all the games successfully, and play for a good twenty to thirty minutes. Then I ran into another problem.

In all the games, after some time, all in-game audio would stop and I wouldn't be able to move. However, the hair and clothes of NPC's and my character would still sway back in forth. I can also hear a clicking sound from my HDD every five seconds or so accompanied with the amber light. This happens to all my games.

Going back to Google, I found out that these symptoms can be seen as when the HDD spins down and goes to sleep for power management, and that I should use their respectable manufacturer's utilities and turn off the setting.

But I can't use those utilities because I'm using a system hard drive coupled with an aftermarket enclosure. My Google-Fu skillz forwarded me to this topic:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146211&st=15

After downloading HDparm with some hope in my heart, I try it out and try to launch it. However, the black CMD screen quickly appears for a split second, then exits itself out. This happens every time I try to launch it. Is it because I'm running a 64-bit operating system?

- Sorry for the long and drawn out opening post, but I'm trying my best to give you all as much information as possible so someone can help me out...I've hit a brick wall...

PS: Muramasa is an awesome game.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This tool is a command-line utility, which means it has no GUI. You must run it in command prompt. Are you familiar with the basics of command prompt?

LordTacodip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the way late reply, but I do know how to use the command prompt, but what are the initial commands that I should know? And I also heard that hdParm only works with IDE hard drives; I'm trying to do this with a SATA drive.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
You also might want to try using IOS222 to run your games. It fixes the spindown issue with more drives than IOS249 without needing to run any tools on the drive itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: