Hacking Read speed of micro sds

spark1223

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive noticed something recently. Almost a year ago i bought an sd with my acekard 2i. It was a san disk 4gb micro sd class 2. It works great in my acekard but eventually i bought another for my phone after selling my 2 gb. This was a san disk 4gb class 2 also but i lagged in every game when i tried using it in my acekard. At first i thought my acekard was dying but i switched back to my first card and it worked great. I exchanged it to best buy and made the mistake of getting the same thing, this time i bench marked it. It got a read speed of slower than 10 mb/s ( i think it was 6, i know it was lower than 7). Now ive heard random access is what matters but when i tested my good card it got a worse random access rating (latency was slightly higher). But the sequential rating was so much higher on my good card it wasn't even in the same ballpark. So this gave me the impression that sequential is what matters. I dont care what anyone else says because this later becomes very obvious why these cards differ and how they differ.

Then i bought some knock off brand durcell for my gf. Its a class 4 but performs as good as my first sd and benchmarks the same in sequential read. So very recently, I purchased a gigaware micro sd that just gave me the feeling it was somehow a re-branded san disk by the packaging and card itself, and without me saying a word the clerk told me it was after I made this assumption. I benchmarked it and tested it in game and low and behold it performed like shit and benchmarked like shit (again below 7 mb/s). So at first I couldnt figure it out. 4 san disks and only 1 good one? Whats wrong here. Then i remembered something everyone says japense kingston is good. Why japense i thought. Then i checked my cards. All the shitty san disks were made on china! And the good one? Taiwan? And the cheap knock off that worked well? Taiwan again! So this got me thinking. I took a hit for the sake of curosity and did an experiment.

I bought a bunch of different brands and class speeds but these were all sdhc cards (4gb or higher). And my theory holds. Every china one performed worse than my taiwan ones. Now its difficult to get your hands on japense made cards in retail where i live but i did get 1 and you guessed it peformed the best out of the three. I will post the full details if anyones interested but believe me brand and class dont seem to make a difference when it comes to read speed.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a SanDisk C2 8GB (Made in China) and it runs like a dream with every game, even Castlevania PoR and MMBN5. I don't think there has been a single person with issues on an 8GB Sandisk, but you're not the first person to report problems with a 4GB SanDisk. I think it's specifically those 4GB SanDisk MSDs from China that have read speed issues. Any other capacity SanDisk card made in china should run perfect on your flash cart.

It also depends on which flashcart/firmware you're using. With an AKAIO on an acekard, even a really shitty MSD can run all games without slowdown. However, with an R4i-SDHC, a shitty MSD won't get you very far.

I'm pretty sure that it's only the 4GB China SanDisk that has read speed issues. Every other SanDisk should run just fine. Although if I were buying an MSD, I would definitely try and get a japanese Kingston.

spark1223

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an acekard, this is interesting... I was looking for someone to contradict in my evidence (I want to make sure I KNOW what MSDs to get)... Maybe the msd's imported up here are bad? Yes I do have mostly 4 GB San Disk's for the china test but there were some PNYs and Gigaware 8 GBs too.

I didn't buy from a single store either, I went to Best Buy, Radio Shack, AT&T, so I can get an even mix. But my tests showed those with "made in china" preformed really bad in AKAIO. They also got bad benchmarks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@