unicode2CP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi,

Is it possible to run Resident Evil 4 in 4:3 aspect ratio without top and bottom black borders.
I heard that Wii's native resolution is 640x480 pixels which is 4:3. Is there any available hack for this? I don't want letterbox picture.

Lord-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have component cables and the wii set to 480p (edtv) and it doesn't show the black lines. I ts full screen.

ps3sucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lord-x said:
I have component cables and the wii set to 480p (edtv) and it doesn't show the black lines. I ts full screen.

I have this exact set up yet the lines still appear for me.

ps3sucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But we have 4:3 tv's aka the Full square boxes... not the wide tvs that are the standard today... setting the widescreen settings to 16:9 makes no sense.

Lord-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ps3sucks said:
But we have 4:3 tv's aka the Full square boxes... not the wide tvs that are the standard today... setting the widescreen settings to 16:9 makes no sense.
It doesn't matter at 16:9 you won't be loosing anything important, just those annoying black lines. My brother has a regular tv. and that's the trick we used to play nsmbw.

ps3sucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lord-x said:
ps3sucks said:
It doesn't matter at 16:9 you won't be loosing anything important, just those annoying black lines. My brother has a regular tv. and that's the trick we used to play nsmbw.

Wow if its that easy im going to shoot myself... going to try it now and ill post back results for the TC
Just to clarify you are talking about the widescreen settings in the Wii menu correct?

Lord-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ps3sucks said:
Lord-x said:
ps3sucks said:

Wow if its that easy im going to shoot myself... going to try it now and ill post back results for the TC
Just to clarify you are talking about the widescreen settings in the Wii menu correct?
Yes.

ps3sucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow I cannot believe it!!! To think it was that easy to play the game in Fullscreen when I already beat it 3 times, constantly thinking WHY IS THEIR NO FULLSCREEN SUPPORT!!!!

LOL
Lord-x thankyou so much man! Anyhow, TC i confirm what Lord-x posted... As odd as it sounds, go into your wii settings and change your widescreen settings to 16:9... It worked for both RE4 and NSMB and will probably work for any game that appears in letterbox on a 4:3 tv.

Lord-x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ps3sucks said:
Wow I cannot believe it!!! To think it was that easy to play the game in Fullscreen when I already beat it 3 times, constantly thinking WHY IS THEIR NO FULLSCREEN SUPPORT!!!!

LOL
Lord-x thankyou so much man! Anyhow, TC i confirm what Lord-x posted... As odd as it sounds, go into your wii settings and change your widescreen settings to 16:9... It worked for both RE4 and NSMB and will probably work for any game that appears in letterbox on a 4:3 tv.
Glad I could help.

ps3sucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess you are but its still better than the black lines IMO (since i have a really big EDTV) Its hardly noticeable really.

unicode2CP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
nando said:
but then are you playing with a squeezed image? like with a very skinny leon.

I already know this trick, and I don't like this squeezed image too. Is there any chance to unlock native 4:3 resolution for this game, with patch or something similar?

It would be cool to find part of code that is responsible for aspect ratio of output image.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
native res is 720x480p for the wii. ntsc 480p == 720x480p. this is the same resolution as dvd's.

it happens to accommodate 4:3 resolutions, like 640x480. stop calling this the native, because you're wrong.

you see black bars because the developers are trying to help you out by not cropping the image on its sides. widescreen is better for you, and always will be, no matter the medium.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
sweenish said:
native res is 720x480p for the wii. ntsc 480p == 720x480p. this is the same resolution as dvd's.

it happens to accommodate 4:3 resolutions, like 640x480. stop calling this the native, because you're wrong.

you see black bars because the developers are trying to help you out by not cropping the image on its sides. widescreen is better for you, and always will be, no matter the medium.
Pretty much this. The game was made for 16:9 resolutions, so the native resolution would be like that. 4:3 televisions have black bars because the game was made to be in 16:9, and only 16:9. It's the same reason why Mario Party 8 had giant bars on the sides for widescreen users, the game wasn't meant to have 16:9 support, which sucks. It's the way the developers made the game, there's nothing we can do about it. Blame the developers if you want to.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sweenish said:

The resolution has nothing to do with the aspect ratio, you don't always have square pixels.

A 16:9 480p mode would be 850 pixels wide if it had square pixels.

robo989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps3sucks said:

LOL

It's not odd at all.

It's EXACTLY the same with any electrical output device...Xbox, PS3, DVD player etc.

Setting it to 16:9 tells the Wii your display device can show the whole image without any distortion, so obviously the image is streched if you view it on a 4:3 display device. Setting it to a 4:3 tells the Wii it will need to add black bars to keep the correct aspect ratio...Nothing clever going on here and any fool should know this stuff and have at least tried it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay