Re-Virginising Launch Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jademalo, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jademalo
    OP

Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2007
    Many, Many years ago, I heavily softmodded my Launch PAL Wii. One of the things that I used was Darkcorp v1.0, and I was on system menu 4.2

Recently, I've purchased a WiiU, and wanted to transfer all of my older content to that. I read up on some guides, and thankfully it was relatively painless and easy. I uninstalled Darkcorp due to the fluke of having my old SD card, and updated using the official method to 4.3.

I migrated all of my software and saves, and it was all without issue.

After that was done, I noticed that the copied disk I had in the drive was still displaying it's banner. Curious, I clicked on it and was thrown an error when I attempted to launch. However, this indicated to me that something had still been tweaked in the console that the update nor the uninstall had rectified. I reinstalled Darkcorp v1.1 using the new d2xrev21 as ios249, then uninstalled it. Same issue.

I have now reinstalled it for the time being, however I'm looking for a bit of assistance to try and "clean" my Wii back to factory 4.3 with the intent to install a single c249 and use a channel forwarder + ISO on an SD card.

The biggest issue I'm facing however is that I have absolutely no idea of the current state of the console. Obviously it has had Darkcorp installed a couple of times and that doesn't seem to cleanly uninstall, but I've been hacking it since the TP hack was first discovered. I have absolutely no idea what I've installed on it at all in the past, but I know I've messed around with almost everything.

I've taken a backup of my current NAND as well as my private keys with the system in it's current state, and BootMii is installed to boot2.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of cleanly uninstalling Darkcorp completely, and if possible restoring my ios to the set that a virgin 4.3 wii would be on?

Thanks!

2. hpark21

hpark21 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    You can not "virginize" as you call it. That said, probably best thing you can try is to rebuild your NAND fresh. Download ohneschwanzenegger utility and using your old nand and key file, rebuild a "fresh" 4.3U nand, push that in and see how clean it is then. (It SHOULD be as clean as fresh 4.3u can be) It won't touch your boot2, so you will still have opportunity to install c249/channel forwarder, etc. afterwards.

Good luck with it.

3. Jademalo
    OP

Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2007
    Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'm a little hesitant at present obviously.

Is there any kind of utility I can use to check all of my IOS to see what has actually been messed with?

4. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    When you installed darkcorp you patched all of your ios. Download modmii go to modmii wizard and update outdated softmods it will give you all the latest ios wads.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    NAND restore from BootMii.

6. Jademalo
    OP

Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2007
    I've been attempting to "clean" the wii for a couple of weeks now, and tonight I finally managed it.
    I found an ancient NAND backup on an old SD card, checked it out with SNEEK, and sure enough it was a backup from just before any sort of softmodding.

Updated that, uninstalled everything except BootMii + officially signed apps, backed up the NAND, then got everything working with SNEEK to re-softmod without using DARKCORP.
    Everything has gone unbelievably perfectly, and I now have a near-perfect Wii with only BootMii and everything else setup under SNEEK. No IOS have been patched either.

Thank god for me 4 years ago backing up the NAND!

JayRo likes this.
  7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I don't think I have my virgin nand backup anymore, sadly...