Re-Softmod 4.3 wii after accidental update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mrnoodlehead, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010
  1. Mrnoodlehead
    OP

Newcomer Mrnoodlehead Member

United States
    Hey, I modded my cousins wii that was 4.1. I only installed the normal cios and such, then they went and borrowed donkey kong returns from the video shop and updated it. Even though i said do not update they went on to do so. Now they have lost the ability to run homebrew and play backed up games. I was wondering what i will need to do to get it up and running again.

I have a copy of lego indiana jones i could use for indiana pwns. But im more wondering about the ioses which will i have to update and such and will there be the need of removing stub ioses and such. I have also heard about priiloader. this has a selection to block updates on discs? but as the wii is relatively new, i understand bootmii cannot be installed as boot2 so can i install this prii loader through an ios?

PS. on a side not they also have a problem with these strange dots all over the screen. This isnt just on the system menu its in games, wii ware, etc. There isnt a problem with the av cables either i have checked all that out. thanks in advance

2. geishroy

Suspended geishroy Suspended

United States
    follow the sticky? and dots happen with most wiis i think it's an overheating gpu problem. my wii does it also but i cannot really tell in games

3. Mrnoodlehead
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the feedback, I have read the stickys before all though i find them hard to understand completely. I also didnt know if theres anything new that i need to do because its not completely new on 4.3 so i should just treat it as if it was never softmodded before?

4. burritoboy9984

Member burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ya, just pretend it was never modded... If you just wanna remod it, the Modify Any Wii sticky will be the quickest way... If you wanna do other stuff, have a look into modmii...

-Erik

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Honestly...if you came across this page and cannot follow it, then I think it's just better to give back your wii to your cousin, and tell him to mod it himself or stay legit, because I honestly cannot see how things can be explained any more clear than that.

As for the update...yes, consider it to be a new wii. From that same guide, this link shows the differences. And most don't even apply.

You heard correct about priiloader (it can prevent wii's to update)...but you're mixing things up with bootmii, which is a completely different program. On newer wii's, bootmii can only be installed as a cIOS (which isn't so good as a boot2...but still very worth having). Priiloader can be installed and used on any wii, no matter what version.

As for those dots...I have no idea. I'd say you could have a nintendo technician look at it...but modding voids the warranty, even if that had nothing to do with it. Perhaps an option is to test different cables (like the HDMI cables), but honestly...your guess is as good as mine.

6. geishroy

Suspended geishroy Suspended

United States
    i think the guide has became the easiest it has ever been. just follow the instructions and it will work.

7. unnkown95

Member unnkown95 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would reset it then mod it

8. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    A RESET would delete all savegames, why should he do this?
    @OP:
    Simply follow the sticky guide, this will work. Oh, and use only ONE guide.

9. Mrnoodlehead
    OP

United States
    Sorry but one last note, and dont go flamming me. So priiloader doesnt install as an ios or boot2, you just run it from the homebrew channel? Thank you

10. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    No, you can't run it from the Homebrew Channel [​IMG]

Read this guide for more details.

In fact, I think you should take your time and go through the whole guide. It explains everything.

11. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Priiloader installs itself into the system menu. You run the installer from the Homebrew Channel.

Use either the Modify any wii or modmii thread to mod your wii.

12. Mrnoodlehead
    OP

United States
    Ok, Everything has gone well as planed. Except one issue which is quite big. I have installed cios and restored trucha bug etc. But usb loader gx doesnt seem to want to load my backed up games? It will load up and everything show the menu to select a game but then once you choose a game black screen.

13. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    what version of USB Loader GX?

try going to settings > game load > then toggle the partition setting.