Hacking Question RCM does not work on my switch

Miqote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Still not working, ugh. I have the Mario Odyssey switch (bought firsthand a few months ago), so I know there's no chance I have the (mariko?) revison (that isn't even out yet). I just tested it on another switch, and it doesn't work on that one either.

By the way... check if your volume up button works

It does.

Zris96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Still not working, ugh. I have the Mario Odyssey switch (bought firsthand a few months ago), so I know there's no chance I have the (mariko?) revison (that isn't even out yet). I just tested it on another switch, and it doesn't work on that one either.
Then you're doing something wrong... take a picture of the jig placed on your switch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
To clarify - what the switch does in RCM mode is to become visible as a USB interface device, which allows whoever wants it, to talk to the soc via the USB port on a pretty low level (usually used to debug issues, or recover higher levels)

So in this mode the Switch will become visible to a powered device, if connected via usb - but there is no visible reaction looking at the Switch alone.

If you are running a launcher script, that talks to the Switch via usb, and launches a payload upon it detecting a Switch being connected, something would happen. But with no USB cable attached and no programm looking to start a thing once it detects a Switch being connected (on a PC, on an Android phone, on a Rasp Pi, ...) - nothing.

m5ive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
edit: Ah - a "nevermind" user. Following steps that say hold one button, then press another button is hard. I mean, there are two buttons. How would you know not to press three? *snark*

Because I was confused by a video where a guy seemed to press all three to enter RCM.
OP on the other hand seems to have another problem altogether, I wish I could have deleted my post.

D

Deleted-442439

It does.

You are using the right joy con rail? try to use a needle or something else small and stick it on pin 10 (closest to the back) it must be the jig.

Miqote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Then you're doing something wrong... take a picture of the jig placed on your switch

upload_2018-5-5_17-30-54.png

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Because I was confused by a video where a guy seemed to press all three to enter RCM.
OP on the other hand seems to have another problem altogether, I wish I could have deleted my post.
Ah, don't its not a big thing. :) Try to be better next time.. ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yep thats a jig. ;)

Again, if you are sure you are doing it right (dont hold power, when trying to activate it (=nothing should happen), hold vol + and press power once - if the Switch visibly "boots" into something, hold power for 10 seconds to shut it down again - and try again) -- try the cable held onto pin 10 (far right of the right port looking at it, pins are situated towards you, and not the console), and touching the fan rails with the other end of the cable method.

Its not relying on craming something into the controller port, its gentle touche, and holding a cable "right".

Once nothing happens, once (when pressing the power button) - you can trouble shoot from there. :) (Whats different, what might not touch, ...)

edit: On a related not what happens again if you mistakingly short 10 and 4 and get a load on the rail? Just asking.. ;) (Nothing good, I understand. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just solder the points inside the joycon.
As a first measure? No.

If you don't solder in a (f.e. magnetic) switch - permanently shorting pin 10 is visible to NIntendo (as far as we know) and could result in an online ban later down the road.

To try it out, holding a cable just right, is really all that is needed.

edit: Also there are reports, that the right joycon would only work in bluetooth mode from then on - if it permanently shorts port 10. (Hard to verify - because you don't really want to try, but the guy that reported that, seemed to know what he was talking about.).

Last edited by notimp,

Miqote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I used a screwdriver to push the ends of the paperclips up because I thought maybe they were too low to make contact with the pins - I think it worked! It's showing a black screen (no backlight though!) and when plugged into my PC, it identified it as APX. Time to test the payload! Thanks for all the help, I'll report back with a confirmation on working or not :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You've got it. :) Now dont do it again, unless you know you can do something usefull with it. :)

And yes, the pins are towards you, and not the console, when looking onto the controller rail :)

Also, dont use force, especially with paperclips (fairly hard metal), because the pins are rather fragile, and could be scratched even by applying moderate force, when doing it "too often".

The difference between the Jig you ordered/printed and the one fail0verflow recommended, is that they went with the innerts of a micro usb connector, with more flexible prebent pieces of metal, that are there to make light preasure connections over and over again. A rigid piece of metal is different in that way.

Last edited by notimp,

Miqote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, got it! I used a bit of force, hopefully I didn't break it x_x I think I'm just going to leave it in there for now. Thanks for all the help, everyone! :)

upload_2018-5-5_17-52-24.png

Skylinedeadline

Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've got it. :) Now dont do it again, unless you know you can do something usefull with it. :)

And yes, the pins are towards you, and not the console, when looking onto the controller rail :)

Also, dont use force, especially with paperclips (fairly hard metal), because the pins are rather fragile, and could be scratched even by applying moderate force, when doing it "too often".

The difference between the Jig you ordered/printed and the one fail0verflow recommended, is that they went with the innerts of a micro usb connector, with more flexible prebent pieces of metal, that are there to make light preasure connections over and over again. A rigid piece of metal is different in that way.
Out of curiosity what would you recommend as an alternative to paperclips? Copper wire?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

CrossGamerHDX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got a jig from ebay
sadly can't get mine to boot up
kept booting up normally.
i updated my 3.0.0 to 5xx
due to my sd card wouldn't work
idk what to do :(

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got a jig from ebay
sadly can't get mine to boot up
kept booting up normally.
i updated my 3.0.0 to 5xx
due to my sd card wouldn't work
idk what to do :(
Well updating was not the answer. It comes down to your clip is not hitting the pins. So if I were you I would just stop while you are ahead because you seem to jump to drastic measures fast

Sent from my LG-US997 using Tapatalk

CrossGamerHDX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well updating was not the answer. It comes down to your clip is not hitting the pins. So if I were you I would just stop while you are ahead because you seem to jump to drastic measures fast

Sent from my LG-US997 using Tapatalk

Because my card wouldn't work
I tried many work around
And plus many games will require fewer firmware so. Might as well
Bought some others jigs and see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone